The Student Room Group

Getting a second degree

I'm going into my final year studying Physics at University, and am really interested in doing a Chemistry degree after I have graduated, however I do not have an A-Level in Chemistry. Ignoring problems with finance is there any reason why I could not apply to do a Chemistry degree?
Why would you want to spend money and time doing a second degree?
Reply 2
Original post by mangatardallys
Why would you want to spend money and time doing a second degree?

Cheers for the helpful reply, I want to.
Original post by NickC96
Cheers for the helpful reply, I want to.

No problem mate, any time! :gthumb:
It is actually a relevant question - what exactly does the chemistry degree allow you to do, that a physics degree won't? This is something the universities are going to want to see evidence that you've considered in e.g. your personal statement, as they aren't going to just arbitrarily accept you.

If you have a valid, well thought out reason for pursuing a chemistry undergrad degree, as opposed to a masters and/or doctorate with chemical and physical elements building on your undergraduate degree in physics, then in theory nothing should prevent you from doing so....as long as you take and pass to a high level A-level Chemistry and find a way to fund the course.
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
It is actually a relevant question - what exactly does the chemistry degree allow you to do, that a physics degree won't? This is something the universities are going to want to see evidence that you've considered in e.g. your personal statement, as they aren't going to just arbitrarily accept you.

If you have a valid, well thought out reason for pursuing a chemistry undergrad degree, as opposed to a masters and/or doctorate with chemical and physical elements building on your undergraduate degree in physics, then in theory nothing should prevent you from doing so....as long as you take and pass to a high level A-level Chemistry and find a way to fund the course.

You people are like politicians with your answers, right so the answer is I need an A-Level in Chemistry? The fact I'll have a degree in Physics doesn't change that??
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by NickC96
You people are like politicians with your answers, right so the answer is I need an A-Level in Chemistry? The fact I'll have a degree in Physics doesn't change that??

Well since a physics degree won't teach you anything about organic reaction mechanisms yes, you'll need A-level Chemistry.
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
Well since a physics degree won't teach you anything about organic reaction mechanisms yes, you'll need A-level Chemistry.

I'm in bits 😂
If you don't know what you're talking about then don't try and be smart 😂😂
Original post by NickC96
I'm in bits 😂
If you don't know what you're talking about then don't try and be smart 😂😂

Was there a point to this thread other than trying and failing to mock the people providing you answers when they aren't the ones you want?

A-level Chemistry isn't an arbitrary requirement for a Chemistry degree, they expect you to know the material before you begin on the course and there is little to no time to catch up, particularly given how lab intensive Chemistry is. On that note they also need the practical endorsement for A-level Chemistry to have been passed because it IS a fundamentally lab based science, moreso than any other STEM subject. You need to have the familiarity with the relevant areas of analytical chemistry - specifically knowledge of the relevant apparatus and core chemical procedures, before they let you into the Chemistry lab in the first week of the course.

The only one that doesn't know what they're talking about is you, but this has apparently escaped your notice.
Reply 9
Original post by NickC96
is there any reason why I could not apply to do a Chemistry degree?

Without A Level Chemistry, you need to look for a 4 year undergrad degree with Foundation year.

Example:
https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/info/?id=11998&title=Chemistry+with+Foundation&code=F103&type=BSC&year=2018#admissions
Reply 10
Original post by Klix88
Without A Level Chemistry, you need to look for a 4 year undergrad degree with Foundation year.

Example:
https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/info/?id=11998&title=Chemistry+with+Foundation&code=F103&type=BSC&year=2018#admissions

This, or prepare to struggle alot. My friend is doing a Chem degree, he said what he learnt at A level was invaluable and helped greatly when learning about the subject. Everyone on his course did Chemistry A level, it was a requirement.
You'll need to study part-time to get a tuition fee loan for a second degree, so you might as well study with the Open University (their Chemistry degree has no entry requirements).

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q64-che
Chemistry A-level will almost certainly be a requirement. I would recommend doing it on the side and applying to universities in the fall with a predicted grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending