The Student Room Group

Bank account closure! Help!

Hi guys,

This is my first post so apologies if it's not in the right section! I have found this website useful a lot in the past but have only recently signed up because I'm at my wits end!

So everything is going okay I accept my place at uni, student loan gets accepted im all good to go, until recently I find out that my Pre-paid cash card will accept less than my maintence loan in one payment (Pockit Card)

Cut a long story short, my TSB account was closed due to somebody paying money into the account at the time I didn't know about, it wasn't until I went in store to pay In money they told me it had been closed, they didn't give me much information about, I've wrote letters to them and they have responded by saying they tried to contact me via Post and phone to visit the store before they closed my account to which I didn't receive any letter or phone call regarding it.

I have been rejected by banks Even a post office account, I'm wondering if there is any cash card I can apply for and have my student loan paid into while I wait for the financial ombudsman to figure this whole thing out?

Sorry for the long winded post 😩
Original post by 1n0nblonde
Hi guys,

This is my first post so apologies if it's not in the right section! I have found this website useful a lot in the past but have only recently signed up because I'm at my wits end!

So everything is going okay I accept my place at uni, student loan gets accepted im all good to go, until recently I find out that my Pre-paid cash card will accept less than my maintence loan in one payment (Pockit Card)

Cut a long story short, my TSB account was closed due to somebody paying money into the account at the time I didn't know about, it wasn't until I went in store to pay In money they told me it had been closed, they didn't give me much information about, I've wrote letters to them and they have responded by saying they tried to contact me via Post and phone to visit the store before they closed my account to which I didn't receive any letter or phone call regarding it.

I have been rejected by banks Even a post office account, I'm wondering if there is any cash card I can apply for and have my student loan paid into while I wait for the financial ombudsman to figure this whole thing out?

I'm sorry you have to find an account that accepts BACS payments to get it paid into, what has the ombudsman said? do you have if there's a fraud marker or anything like that on your credit report?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I'm sorry you have to find an account that accepts BACS payments to get it paid into, what has the ombudsman said? do you have if there's a fraud marker or anything like that on your credit report?

Thanks for the quick response! I've been told some cash cards accept bank transfers and allow most wages to be paid into them, I just don't know where to start 😩

I'm currently still waiting for a response from the ombudsman, but from when I applied to Halifax I received a letter regarding a CIFA marker, I'm unsure what category it falls under at the minute I've been told to request my information I think it costs like £10.00.

TSB was useless when I was trying to get information on why they closed my account which is making it more frustrating and I honestly don't know which way to go now
Thanks for the quick response! I've been told some cash cards accept bank transfers and allow most wages to be paid into them, I just don't know where to start 😩

I'm currently still waiting for a response from the ombudsman, but from when I applied to Halifax I received a letter regarding a CIFA marker, I'm unsure what category it falls under at the minute I've been told to request my information I think it costs like £10.00.

TSB was useless when I was trying to get information on why they closed my account which is making it more frustrating and I honestly don't know which way to go now

It'll be the CIFA marker that's the problem it seems. I think you're best speaking to banks in branch telling them the exact situation and asking if they can help.
Reply 4
It'll be the CIFA marker that's the problem it seems. I think you're best speaking to banks in branch telling them the exact situation and asking if they can help.

my local branch has a new manager so it's why I've been in contact with the head office. I just feel like it's a never ending goose chase.

Thanks for your help I'll be sure to find out which category the marker is and await response from the ombudsman in a bid to getting this removed before I start 😩
my local branch has a new manager so it's why I've been in contact with the head office. I just feel like it's a never ending goose chase.

Thanks for your help I'll be sure to find out which category the marker is and await response from the ombudsman in a bid to getting this removed before I start 😩

I think cifas can expire but i think (could be wrong) it takes a year to come off, you need to get it removed if its a category thats doing it harm if you can.
I think cifas can expire but i think (could be wrong) it takes a year to come off, you need to get it removed if its a category thats doing it harm if you can.

For fraud its 6 years
Hi guys,

You could try apply for a monzo account which is like an online bank. They tell you immediately if your accepted or not. Not sure if this will help in your case but it’s worth a try.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending