The Student Room Group

Should I mention religion in my PS?

Hi all,

Newbie here but long time reader.

Quick question please what are peoples thoughts on mentioning religion in their PS? I have memorised the entire Holy Quran and wanted to perhaps mention this as an indication of my memory for one, and also dedication and work ethic.

Any thoughts welcome?

Many Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Honestly, it doesnt really matter, it's just a waste of characters though as you can write other things. But if that skill is something you do want to mention, just talk about it. You don't need to emphasise on what religion you are. Just say you've memorised the Quran, and as you've mentioned, talk how it relates to your studies. Good luck with the PS
Reply 2
Yeah why not, that's a terrific achievement
Yeah it shows you can do other things along your studies, well done btw :smile:
Reply 4
That's amazing. ofc, do mention it, well done!
Reply 5
Original post by toothache787
Hi all,

Quick question please what are peoples thoughts on mentioning religion in their PS? I have memorised the entire Holy Quran and wanted to perhaps mention this as an indication of my memory for one, and also dedication and work ethic.

Any thoughts welcome?

Many Thanks

It's not something that you HAVE to mention in your PS but if you want to then you can.
Thanks for the replies, just a little concerned with current world events and all the negative public opinion at the mo.
Reply 7
Wow allahuma barik! In Sha Allah one day I memorise it too.
Reply 8
Hi all,

Any thoughts welcome?

Many Thanks

Yes go for it (up to you) it can be a short sentence or something my cousin did this describing it as one of his proudest achievements memorizing that many pages.
I would personally advise against it. What course are you applying for and are there other ways you can show off your memory skills? Do you even *need* to show off your memory skills for the course you're applying for?
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I would personally advise against it. What course are you applying for and are there other ways you can show off your memory skills? Do you even *need* to show off your memory skills for the course you're applying for?

Thanks for all the replies.

Applying for Medicine. I'm thinking memory skills are an asset for any course but also to show commitment and dedication?
Reply 11
Peronally I would say don't dwell on your religion as that that can spark anti-semitic comments but by all means mention your achievementswhich are fantastic
Hi all,

Any thoughts welcome?

Many Thanks

I mentioned it in my PS and got an offer from UCL so yeah, go for it. Just make it link to your determination e.t.c.
Thanks for all the replies.

Applying for Medicine. I'm thinking memory skills are an asset for any course but also to show commitment and dedication?

Ah OK. I definitely would have urged you not to mention it if you were applying for Theology/Religious Studies courses. I'm still inclined to say leave it out, tbh, but it's your PS. If you really wanna mention it just do it extremely briefly as a passing comment :yes:
Thanks everyone !
No it's unrelated to medicine and a waste if characters.

If you want to mention hobbies talk about team sports, volunteering etc.
Hi all,

Any thoughts welcome?

Many Thanks

It is entirely irrelevant to medicine and I suggest you spend your word count putting in evidence for relevant, scientific content and passion for the course and career rather than wasting it talking about your religion.
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks everyone !

I'm just gonna attract the attention of some TSR PS Reviewers who have a huge amount of experience in dealing with personal statements, to see what they think about you mentioning this in your PS. They are very wise and they might have a better idea of how mentioning this in your PS might look/be received :smile:

@Good bloke , @alleycat393 , @*Interrobang*
Hi all,

Any thoughts welcome?

Many Thanks

Original post by Kyou
Are you not projecting your bias against religion onto the OP? The entire PS doesn't have to be exclusively linked to medicine. Otherwise why bother putting extra-curricular activities such as sports in?

As has been said above by people with a lot of experience of these things religion is completely irrelevant to medicine and it is a waste of space. Yes almost your entire PS needs to be about your subject and even more so for medicine and no UK unis are not really interested in extra curriculars and even less so for medicine. They want to see that you have what it takes to be a good doctor and know what the profession entails. Memorising a large amount of info doesn't make you a good candidate for medicine. Being able to apply your skills and knowledge to solve problems and communicate with patients and other professionals does. There's a PS builder tool and loads of PS guidance particularly for medicine so have a look at that.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kyou
Are you not projecting your bias against religion onto the OP? The entire PS doesn't have to be exclusively linked to medicine. Otherwise why bother putting extra-curricular activities such as sports in?

How is this projected bias against religion? What an absurd suggestion. The space is better spent discussing the OP's passion for the subject they're applying for, rather than discussing something largely irrelevant, as the others have said.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending