The Student Room Group

Confused on what to do

I got BBB in maths physics and chemistry. I have had a couple of offers for unis like york, sheffield, liverpool. However sheffield is foundation year for mech eng. AND York is electrical engineering. I feel trapped at the moment at what to do. My expectations were so high and i had a tough time during examinations
Reply 1
I think you should take electrical engineering as it is not Foundation meaning less time in University.
Do you have a preference for which type of engineering course you want to do?
Original post by LorryBalls
I got BBB in maths physics and chemistry. I have had a couple of offers for unis like york, sheffield, liverpool. However sheffield is foundation year for mech eng. AND York is electrical engineering. I feel trapped at the moment at what to do. My expectations were so high and i had a tough time during examinations

I'm confused by this post.

It would be helpful to know what course you originally applied for and why you're unsure of the option you should go for.

Was your application applying to most Electrical Engineering courses, or did you apply for various different fields of engineering?
Reply 4
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I'm confused by this post.

It would be helpful to know what course you originally applied for and why you're unsure of the option you should go for.

Was your application applying to most Electrical Engineering courses, or did you apply for various different fields of engineering?

Sorry for the confusing post, it has been a restless three days. I put my expectations high when applying for uni and my firm was ucl at AAA and bristol at AAC. i got 3 Bs as i was having a tough time during exams with home life, my grandad becoming ill among other things. Im confused on what to do as i always wanted to go to a top university to do mechanical engineering but have left to go through clearing.

I have a few offers standing with
York- electrical engineering
Liverpool Mechanical
Surrey chemical
Sheffeld mech eng but with foundation year.

I feel stuck on what to do. should i retake and risk getting the same or worst or do i pick one of these unis which arent all the best and hating it while im there.
Sorry for the confusing post, it has been a restless three days. I put my expectations high when applying for uni and my firm was ucl at AAA and bristol at AAC. i got 3 Bs as i was having a tough time during exams with home life, my grandad becoming ill among other things. Im confused on what to do as i always wanted to go to a top university to do mechanical engineering but have left to go through clearing.

I have a few offers standing with
York- electrical engineering
Liverpool Mechanical
Surrey chemical
Sheffeld mech eng but with foundation year.

I feel stuck on what to do. should i retake and risk getting the same or worst or do i pick one of these unis which arent all the best and hating it while im there.

You should not retake.

If your A-level years was beyond your control, then you shouldn't punish yourself or blame yourself for falling a tiny bit short sweetie.

Have you every considered what you wanted to do after Mechanical Engineering?

Perhaps you could search for an Integrated MA that allows you to do general Engineering then do an MA in Mechanical?

What's wrong with Liverpool offering you Mechanical?

I don't think a foundation is good. If you think you are more capable of doing a foundation year, then you should pass on that and not consider it.
Reply 6
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
You should not retake.

If your A-level years was beyond your control, then you shouldn't punish yourself or blame yourself for falling a tiny bit short sweetie.

Have you every considered what you wanted to do after Mechanical Engineering?

Perhaps you could search for an Integrated MA that allows you to do general Engineering then do an MA in Mechanical?

What's wrong with Liverpool offering you Mechanical?

I don't think a foundation is good. If you think you are more capable of doing a foundation year, then you should pass on that and not consider it.

Because i dont really wanna go to liverpool i really had my heart set on ucl and being offered for other things has been just so depressing because i think its going to mess up my future path which ive tried so hard to acheieve because im the first to uni in my family
Because i dont really wanna go to liverpool i really had my heart set on ucl and being offered for other things has been just so depressing because i think its going to mess up my future path which ive tried so hard to acheieve because im the first to uni in my family

I'm still a bit confused: do you want to study mechanical engineering and become a mechanical engineer?

Well this is the first lesson you've learned about life: life doesn't always go the way you want it to, it goes the way it's supposed to go!

You can map out your life until you leave no room for mistake on the paper, but that doesn't guarantee that map is fail-proof.

If you have a different opportunity, regardless if you didn't want it in the first place and it's better than having no other opportunities, then go for it.

Life is what you make it and if you don't make a best situation out of a bad one, you won't get anywhere.

Good luck hon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending