The Student Room Group

Psychology at University

I am currently looking to apply for psychology next year but I don't think I really want to go into a career in psychology because from what I've read it requires a lot of further study such as PHD which I don't want to think about if i havent even done my a levels yet. It seems like a very competitive course to get on but I enjoy it at school and I think i would enjoy it at university

Is it a waste of time to do it even if i dont want to continue for an extra few years of study to become a qualified psychologist?

And any book / magazine recommendations would be appreciated
Original post by Out_of_the_Blue
I am currently looking to apply for psychology next year but I don't think I really want to go into a career in psychology because from what I've read it requires a lot of further study such as PHD which I don't want to think about if i havent even done my a levels yet. It seems like a very competitive course to get on but I enjoy it at school and I think i would enjoy it at university

Is it a waste of time to do it even if i dont want to continue for an extra few years of study to become a qualified psychologist?

And any book / magazine recommendations would be appreciated

If you don't want to work in the field why do you want to study the course? That's the first question to ask yourself and then you can go from there. What do you want to do after uni?
Original post by alleycat393
If you don't want to work in the field why do you want to study the course? That's the first question to ask yourself and then you can go from there. What do you want to do after uni?

I want to study the course because it interests me, it explains the reasons why people behave in the way that they do and I'm not really interested in any other subject to be honest
I dont know what I want to do after uni, I just think that i wouldn't be good at or enjoy therapy or something like that
Original post by Out_of_the_Blue
I want to study the course because it interests me, it explains the reasons why people behave in the way that they do and I'm not really interested in any other subject to be honest
I dont know what I want to do after uni, I just think that i wouldn't be good at or enjoy therapy or something like that

Ok that's perfectly fine. You may change your mind over time or find other things that interest you within the subject that don't require further study or not as much. After you graduate you can do a range of things that use your transferable skills so if you enjoy the subject yes it's worth it and you will be employable at the end provided you work hard and develop your skills and interests both academically and outside uni work.
Original post by alleycat393
Ok that's perfectly fine. You may change your mind over time or find other things that interest you within the subject that don't require further study or not as much. After you graduate you can do a range of things that use your transferable skills so if you enjoy the subject yes it's worth it and you will be employable at the end provided you work hard and develop your skills and interests both academically and outside uni work.

Thank you so much, up until now i was convinced i was going to do Business because i thought i would be more employable after but i have no interest in it maybe now i can do something i actually like and not worry about jobs until later
Hello, I completed my BSc Psychology in 2016 with a 2.1. Like you, I wasn't sure if this field was for me in the long-term and wanted to maybe use my degree to branch out into other areas. This month I will be starting my MSc Health Psychology lol.
My mind frame changed completely and I realised I wanted to stick with the study area I had chosen. Before leaving uni I spoke to my supervisor who asked me what my next plans were. I told her I didn't know but that I didn't think Psychology was for me being of how long it will take and how competitive the field is. Her reply was 'You are already half way there, your showing the ability needed to be a Psychologist so why drop out at the final hurtle'. She was right, it was daft for me to put so much effort into my degree and learn so much that was psychology based just to throw it away to learn something else.
My advice is study the area if you plan to stay in the chosen field, if you are afraid of hard work then Psychology is NOT for you. I would say 75 - 80% of the course is stats and learning different research methods, only about 20% is the interesting part of psychology everyone is intrigued by like learning about the brain, people's personalities etc. Psychology is a science and therefore as Psychologists our job is to learn how to research and come up with findings so please be aware stats, graphs, spss and report writing are all the main focuses on this course.
Yes after your degree is over you may not walk into doing a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology but by getting a load of experience and maybe even getting a job as a research assistant it can be a possibility. Try not to think about how long and competitive things are as you are confronted with this in every field anyway. If the subject is something you want to do, then just do it.

Hope this helped.
Lauren
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest