The Student Room Group

Is it ok to water wash hair every day?

People say that you should not wash your hair everyday -- but does that mean not to wash with shampoo or water itself or both?

I am confused.

Also, I live in Leeds where it rains pretty much round the clock. And we all know what rain does to hair!
they mean with shampoo, rinsing with water won't really do much (although that depends on your hair type)
Im a guy and I was wish shampoo every morning.

I use hair product so when I wake up I hate the feeling of the leftover product, and also the messiness.
Shampoo strips your hair from its natural oils.
I'm not sure if you have ever felt the coat of a dog who is washed far too often, but it feels very waxy and grimey to me.
Plus, the oils are there for a good reason, they nourish your hair. Water washing shouldn't be too bad but I've personally never done it - I feel like I would feel dirtier because all ive done is wet dirty hair lol.
Yeah, I wouldn't want to wash my hair with just water. That would feel horrible, as shampoo and conditioner makes it smooth. And if I was going to get my hair wet, I may as well just wash it properly. :P

Original post by ZombieTheWolf
Shampoo strips your hair from its natural oils.
I'm not sure if you have ever felt the coat of a dog who is washed far too often, but it feels very waxy and grimey to me.
Plus, the oils are there for a good reason, they nourish your hair. Water washing shouldn't be too bad but I've personally never done it - I feel like I would feel dirtier because all ive done is wet dirty hair lol.
Reply 5
Original post by crocodile_ears
they mean with shampoo, rinsing with water won't really do much (although that depends on your hair type)

In terms of stripping the hair of its natural oils?
Reply 6
Original post by hannxm
Yeah, I wouldn't want to wash my hair with just water. That would feel horrible, as shampoo and conditioner makes it smooth. And if I was going to get my hair wet, I may as well just wash it properly. :P

Horrible in what way?
Reply 7
Original post by JordLndr
Im a guy and I was wish shampoo every morning.

I use hair product so when I wake up I hate the feeling of the leftover product, and also the messiness.

And how is your hair?
Reply 8
Original post by Kasa

yes, water won't strip your hair of the oils.
Reply 9
Original post by stirkee
yes, water won't strip your hair of the oils.

I heard it just gets greasier quicker
Just putting water on your hair and then drying it, it makes it feel like straw and can get knotted easier.
Original post by Kasa
Horrible in what way?
Reply 11
Original post by hannxm
Just putting water on your hair and then drying it, it makes it feel like straw and can get knotted easier.

Hmmm I wonder why that is...
Original post by Kasa
I heard it just gets greasier quicker

what do you mean quicker?

Clearly if you're not washing your hair every day then its going to (eventually, depending on how much oil etc you produce) get greasy.

What you can do is wash it every other day with shampoo, and then on the days when you don't use (wet) shampoo use dry shampoo instead
Original post by Kasa

Yeah, like it might make your hair a bit less greasy, but it won't strip it the way washing with shampoo everyday might. When you wash your hair too much your hair tries to compensate and creates too much oil, so it gets greasier faster. Washing with shampoo every 2-3 days is fine, and rinsing it with water in-between shampoo days won't do anything bad.
Original post by Kasa
Hmmm I wonder why that is...

It depends on the hardness of the water. The harder the water, the more like plastic your hair feels.
Original post by Kasa
And how is your hair?

Perfectly fine, nice and smoothe.
They mean with shampoo I reckon.

I have curly hair and only shampoo mine 1-2 times a week. But I rinse with water every day !
Reply 17
Original post by AnnaGlypta
They mean with shampoo I reckon.

I have curly hair and only shampoo mine 1-2 times a week. But I rinse with water every day !

I shampoo twice a week.

One on Wednesday and another on Saturday..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending