The Student Room Group

Would Southampton university accept my application?

I achieved BDEE in Business, Sociology, Maths and History. I have dropped History and my predicted grades are ABD for Business, Sociology and Maths. For sociology we switched from OCR to AQA, so that is why my predicted grade for soicology is significantly higher.

My question is would Southampton university accept me for the Accounting and Finance course, and would it be worth applying. The course requirements are AAB-ABB.
Original post by Johny12345
I achieved BDEE in Business, Sociology, Maths and History. I have dropped History and my predicted grades are ABD for Business, Sociology and Maths. For sociology we switched from OCR to AQA, so that is why my predicted grade for soicology is significantly higher.

My question is would Southampton university accept me for the Accounting and Finance course, and would it be worth applying. The course requirements are AAB-ABB.

Shouldn't that make the predicted grade lower.

Southampton will probs still give you an offer.
Its making the offer which is the hard bit.

Obviously not, you're 3 grades off AAB (the ABB will usually be for a comtextaul offer, where the applicant goes to a diabolical school). Southampton is a very competitive university, they're not going to give you an offer with those predictions. Being predicted a D in maths, the most related subject to the degree, is not doing you any favours either.
Reply 3
Original post by Glassapple
Obviously not, you're 3 grades off AAB (the ABB will usually be for a comtextaul offer, where the applicant goes to a diabolical school). Southampton is a very competitive university, they're not going to give you an offer with those predictions. Being predicted a D in maths, the most related subject to the degree, is not doing you any favours either.

I got a U in D1 so it lowered my grade, but if I'm honest i was not motivated last year and I had no clue what I wanted to do. I think I can achieve that A in business and the AQA exam board is much easier also I think I will get a B or C in maths
Reply 4
Original post by citibankrec
Shouldn't that make the predicted grade lower.

Southampton will probs still give you an offer.
Its making the offer which is the hard bit.

OCR is a harder exam board than AQA and also the AS exam was not nice

No, they're the same.

No it isn't, if that were true then every school would use AQA and OCR would go out of business... Apply if you want, you're not going to get an offer from a Russell Group university when you're predicted a D in a key subject and falling well below the standard offer overall.
Reply 7
Original post by Glassapple
No it isn't, if that were true then every school would use AQA and OCR would go out of business... Apply if you want, you're not going to get an offer from a Russell Group university when you're predicted a D in a key subject and falling well below the standard offer overall.

Fairs, I'm just going to have to improve my grades and apply next year
Reply 8
aint anyone seen a hard exam board till you see MEI
Reply 9
I would most likely say no...
UoS is very selective about who they accept, and as they're part of the Russell Group - they like to maintain a certain standard in the entry requirements of their prospective students! Typically, UoS is unlikely to offer you a conditional offer if your predicted grades are more than 2 grades lower than in any one of your predicted grades, although saying this if they have the availability on the course you're applying for after they have accepted all their other applicants then you could always opt to go through clearing.

You get 5 choices. If you think you can exceed your predictions and get ABB/AAC then it’s fine as one of your choices.
70% of applicants get an offer and average entry grades are BBB https://university.which.co.uk/university-of-southampton-s27/accounting-and-finance-3-years-9250-n400-A23-B22 so you’re not wasting your time.

Just work your arse off.

Quick Reply

Latest