The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
In terms of all aspects.

Why would you miss lectures?

Why are you at university?
Why do you want a degree?
Why do you want to jeopardise your studies?
Why do you want to waste your opportunity and money?
Why are you still behaving like a petulant teenager?
Not bad at all

In fact, i would say it’s good

Only if they are a waste of time and you can study yourself, that is

Otherwise, go to yo lectures, foo’
In terms of all aspects.

It depends on whether you're willing to study for it yourself. A lot of universities won't care because at the end of the day you're paying the tuition fees. For some universities, the lectures are recorded and put online. University is so independent so if you fall behind it's your problem and not the lecturer's. If however you do well in the exams, you will most likely be fine.
Reply 4
During my second year at university, there was a course for which I only attended 2 lectures throughout the entire year, and the times I did go, I spent the entire hour playing video games on my laptop. I got a first on that course. I didn't do any of the 4 assigned formative essays, nor did I contribute anything of value during classes, which were at 11 in the morning and thus well past my bedtime. I think my TA hated me quite strongly. I never told her I got a first though.

YMMV
(edited 6 years ago)
In terms of all aspects.

Statistically if you go to lectures you do better but you don’t need to go they are all uploaded online for you anyway
First year lectures for me were the biggest waste of time, have yet to start my second so idk about that

If you can still get the materials online and do well without them then there's no point going
Reply 7
In terms of all aspects.

Meh, it's fine.
It depends. As long as you cover that lecture in your own time then it's fine. Does yr uni put lectures online or have video/streaming of lectures. I managed to catch up as I could watch the lectures later.
I missed an entire module in my final year and got a 1st in it lol.
Not too bad but if you are paying for it why not just go? The real use of lectures is the ability to ask questions which you can't do when watching it online
Okay, thanks for your answers. The reason I ask this is because I'm going to be commuting to uni and I think that it's inevitable that I will miss some lectures. I will of course catch up with the work on my own.
Do you think it's bad if a student doesn't have a relationship with their lecturer, though? I mean, if you miss lectures the lecturer obviously won't know you. And do you think the lecturer won't respect you or care about you when you do come to lectures?
Reply 13
Do you think it's bad if a student doesn't have a relationship with their lecturer, though? I mean, if you miss lectures the lecturer obviously won't know you. And do you think the lecturer won't respect you or care about you when you do come to lectures?

Depending on the size of your lectures, you might be able to get away with it. As in, you can ask them for a reference if you did well in their course. I don't think it'll be glowing, but it won't be horrible either if you get a first. If you mean to see your lecturer in office hours when you need help with your coursework, if your lecture size is small, then you might have a problem if your lectures aren't recorded/you don't watch them. If you choose to go down this path, then be upfront with your situation, but if you're going to uni full time, I don't see how it's possible to miss lectures accidentally unless you're bad@lyfe.
Original post by _Steve
Depending on the size of your lectures, you might be able to get away with it. As in, you can ask them for a reference if you did well in their course. I don't think it'll be glowing, but it won't be horrible either if you get a first. If you mean to see your lecturer in office hours when you need help with your coursework, if your lecture size is small, then you might have a problem if your lectures aren't recorded/you don't watch them. If you choose to go down this path, then be upfront with your situation, but if you're going to uni full time, I don't see how it's possible to miss lectures accidentally unless you're bad@lyfe.

Thanks. No, I didn't mean accidentally. I'm going to be commuting to uni which is quite far so I think it's very likely that I'm going to not go to some lectures.
At mine they check attendance plus for me it works out to £70 a lecture so imagine going outside and putting 70 down the drain every time miss it
Reply 16
Original post by Dominoes
At mine they check attendance plus for me it works out to £70 a lecture so imagine going outside and putting 70 down the drain every time miss it

Imagine paying £70 for a bottle of industrial strength hydrochloric acid and not drinking it. Buying the bottle doesn't mean you have to consume its contents if it's unappealing or useless.
Original post by uberteknik
Why would you miss lectures?

Why are you at university?
Why do you want a degree?
Why do you want to jeopardise your studies?
Why do you want to waste your opportunity and money?
Why are you still behaving like a petulant teenager?

Why was this response necessary? Everyone learns differently, I can learn far more at home by myself with a textbook for 2 hours than sat listening to someone talk at me. I don't learn that way and have always had to go over everything from a lecture in a textbook before it makes sense to me, so if you want to be effective with your time at uni and that's how you learn then skipping lectures isn't this horrendously bad thing. I got an international award for an essay I wrote for a class where I attended 1 seminar out of 12. Don't be so patronising.
Reply 18
Original post by infairverona
Why was this response necessary? Everyone learns differently, I can learn far more at home by myself with a textbook for 2 hours than sat listening to someone talk at me. I don't learn that way and have always had to go over everything from a lecture in a textbook before it makes sense to me, so if you want to be effective with your time at uni and that's how you learn then skipping lectures isn't this horrendously bad thing. I got an international award for an essay I wrote for a class where I attended 1 seminar out of 12. Don't be so patronising.

Because he believes hard work and effort can get you anywhere.

Spoiler

Original post by _Steve
Because he believes hard work and effort can get you anywhere.

Spoiler

Even if you believe that, going to lectures does not automatically equate to 'hard work and effort'. Some of my friends went to lectures and sat on Facebook the whole time anyway, being physically present means nothing. If you put in the work in a way that you know suits you and works well for you then it doesn't matter IMO.

Latest

Trending

Trending