The Student Room Group

How can I befriend white people and assimilate into their culture?

since I am at a mostly white uni and am the only asian kid in a class full of 40 others
there is a black squad and a muslim squad there too but I am not black or muslim
and they are not in the majority
like literally 90% of the people at uni are white

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Talk to them
Make sure you dont wear trousers, thats cultural appropriation
join the muslim squad- they wont 'change' u
Reply 4
Original post by anotheruserontsr
join the muslim squad- they wont 'change' u

but I enjoy drinking and eating pork
also im an atheist
Pretend to be a refugee ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Reply 6
Just find people you get on with. Join societies, talk to people in halls or your flat. It isn't rocket science. By the sounds of it you're the one making race an issue.
Ask them if they fancy a cup of tea with a nice McVitie's biscuit, then once you've captured them start asking what they think the royal baby will be called. White people love stuff like that.
On a serious note, find things in common

Join sports societies and other groups to meet people there. Offer to help out on your course to make instant friends. Instead of breaking in to a group try making friends with individuals instead
Original post by veeraxox
but I enjoy drinking and eating pork
also im an atheist

So?
Reply 10
Original post by MrsMars
So?

cant be friends with the muslims then

Yes you can
Reply 12
Original post by MrsMars
Yes you can

but I'll be judged by them

No you wont, as long as you don't disrespect their beliefs

We do have non-Muslim friends ya know. As long as you’re not a complete c*nt and get along with people you’ll be fine.

Hate to break the news to you but everyone judges each other.

From experience I've found professional muslims try very hard to integrate themselves in the environment they are placed in. Despite their religion or cultural restrictions they are juggling between two identities and under more pressure than ever to please both sides. I've made good friends with a few and outside drinking or eating pork (lol) we actually have a lot in common.
whip out your genitals
Remember: crackers love cheese!

Seriously though, we do love dairy. That seems to be largely due to the fact we're one of the only groups that can eat it without being violently ill...

Anyway, pretty much just as others said: just talk to them, join societies and so on. Remember none of them (well, most of them) won't know each other only, and provided they're not racist douchebags they shouldn't have an issue chatting with you and becoming friends with you. Just...engage with them as you would anyone else :tongue:

Buuuuut maybe just keep in mind they'll probably say some shockingly ignorant **** every now and then :x
What is wrong with you, you're acting like white people don't talk to other races. Just talk to them normally
Reply 19
start buying more organic produce and also soya

get a gazebo too, and a cute little beagle dog or something to walk around with

start wearing shorts when the temperature goes past 20 degree's

also get 1 token black friend for good measure

congratulations you are pretty much white now, and you'll fit right in :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending