The Student Room Group

Anyone else regret their uni choice?

So I'm about to go into my third year of university and I always get moments where I regret my uni choice, mainly when I'm about to go back there. I always feel like I'm making a massive effort to go to this uni that I don't really want to go to (it's around a 3-4 hour drive from me). The uni is situated around 50th in most league tables. I could have gone to a uni which was "higher" but the degree I wanted to do is only available at a couple of unis. However I also kind of regret the degree I chose as I'm not sure whether I'm interested in pursuing a job in that particular field. In terms of social life, I do have friends that I go out with quite often and I'm going to be living with them this year. However, I wouldn't really say I've made any "friends for life". I can't really imagine keeping in contact with anyone after uni.
Anyone else regret their choice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes! I was never passionate about my subject choice but felt I had to choose something because what else is there to do really? Entry-level jobs and apprenticeships, again, didn't appeal to me.

My actual university isn't too bad, not that I can compare. I do hate that it is so far from home. It would be nice to hope on a train for an hour and be back in my city but it's not too big of a deal to me.

As for friendships, it's good you have friends that you can at least be yourself around. I'm going into my 3rd year and haven't made any real friends. I talk to people but rarely spend time with them outside of course hours. Just remember, the year is almost done and you have plenty to look forward to.

You don't have to stick to the field your degree directly relates to. Many graduate jobs don't specify what degree you need. Also, if you find the time you could maybe join some societies, as clichéd as that sounds. You never know, might meet your platonic soulmate this year.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Klopp_1996
So I'm about to go into my third year of university and I always get moments where I regret my uni choice, mainly when I'm about to go back there. I always feel like I'm making a massive effort to go to this uni that I don't really want to go to (it's around a 3-4 hour drive from me). The uni is situated around 50th in most league tables. I could have gone to a uni which was "higher" but the degree I wanted to do is only available at a couple of unis. However I also kind of regret the degree I chose as I'm not sure whether I'm interested in pursuing a job in that particular field. In terms of social life, I do have friends that I go out with quite often and I'm going to be living with them this year. However, I wouldn't really say I've made any "friends for life". I can't really imagine keeping in contact with anyone after uni.
Anyone else regret their choice?

Sure, many people don't feel great about their uni or subject choice but the time to move was the end of the first year so you just have to suck it up now really.
I kind of do, not going to lie. I enjoy the subjects that I'm studying, and I've made some good friends during my time at this university, but I feel like I could have done a bit better in my exams in secondary school, and I could have ended up in a different university with a better reputation if I had gotten more As in my exam results.

And there's also the fact that generations of my family went to my university, and now everyone thinks that I'm "carrying on the tradition", but that's actually not the case. It was the best university that gave me an offer for the degree I wanted to study. I want to people to be happy with me going to university because I got the grades I needed to get in, not because of some random family tradition that I didn't even really want to be a part of.
Yes definitely, well not so much that I regret the choice, but I'm more annoyed that I didn't get into a higher one. I used to be smart back when I was a kid, but now I am dumb so it's pretty disappointing to me and my family, and it's sad to see all your other friends going to way better unis than you (90% of my friends are in top 30 unis but I am in 100+) and I feel like a let down
I've just started about a month ago and I hate University in general. I'm sick and tired of studying I want to actually start building a career. All my siblings and cousins are married and happy and I just feel like crap knowing they're all enjoying life and I'm not I'm just studying or doing my part time job I don't have any time for anything I actually enjoy.
OMG yes massively. I actually sat in class and was wondering what the hell i was doing there.
It isn't my first choice course either. I have literally just started my first year and i'am considering going back to my old job and studying the degree i actually wanted through the open university but I actually really don't know what i should do...

Has anyone got any advice?
Sometimes, but I'm generally quite happy where I am now. I could have gone to a 'better' uni if I did 3 years of A levels but you never know, I could have hated it elsewhere!

I want to go to a bigger uni for postgrad so I don't feel I've missed out on that experience :smile:
I did when I went to uni the first time a few years ago. It wasn't ranked that highly, and I didn't really enjoy the course. I left at the end of first year, spent a couple of years working, travelling and picking up a new interest/area of study, which after studying through other means for a while led me to reapply for a degree within that area. I study at a RG university now, which seemed out of reach a few years back whilst I was undecided on what I wanted to do.

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking time away from education to figure out what you really want to do. 3/4 years is a hell of a long time to be bored with what you're doing.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm glad I chose Chemistry but not at a uni that is almost literally outside my doorstep. I feel like I'm missing out on the "Uni life" by living at home. Is it too late to get into student accommodation if you're a first year?
Well i found out that at my uni (as trival as it sounds it does suck being a guy)... the male to female ratio on campus is at least 2-3:1 (male to female)... as if competition getting girls isnt hard enough.
Original post by James385
Well i found out that at my uni (as trival as it sounds it does suck being a guy)... the male to female ratio on campus is at least 2-3:1 (male to female)... as if competition getting girls isnt hard enough.

what's the transgender ratio ?
Original post by ElAshtonio
I'm glad I chose Chemistry but not at a uni that is almost literally outside my doorstep. I feel like I'm missing out on the "Uni life" by living at home. Is it too late to get into student accommodation if you're a first year?

most, if not all people, live in private accommodation 2nd year onward - so it is definitely not too late
Original post by James385

Good thing that isn't what university is about. Grow up.
Yeah, I'm pretty meh about it to be honest - just waiting to finish up. I find my course too easy and the institution boring/poorly organised and a lot of the people seriously frustrating. Oh well.
I'm beginning to wish I'd chosen a uni closer to home. Trouble was, at the time, very few unis were offering the course I wanted to do.
Hell yes! I regret listening to what everyone told me in sixth form and my parents who were pushing me to go to uni when i hadn't made my mind up about what my life goal was and how i plan to get it. Now, i have wasted two years doing a course that makes me want to kill myself, getting crap grades, with a social life that hadn't improved like i wanted it to. At least i changed course now and although i'll have to pay for uni out of my own pocket for this year, it's 100% worth it and things are finally looking up for me in life.
Reply 17
I regret not taking the time to think about what I really wanted and was good at. I hate my course, also in year 3 but I'm going to suck it up for the next 2 years so that I can go and do what I really want when I leave and will have an honours degree behind me. I don't regret the life experience it has given me and the opportunities and friends I've had along the way! I feel like no matter what you got in school you can look back and say "I wish I did more" but at the end of the day I remember all my teachers, parents, older friends and family all telling me to work hard now and see the pay off. But instead I watched boxset after boxset and got alright grades and I'm dealing with my choices.
I don't regret my uni choice but I do hate the uni.
I'm actually concerned now. What would you guys advise so that I don't regret my time at uni? I'm in my final year at college.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending