The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey :smile: I'm hoping on applying later this year for 2018 entry too!So far I know that they recognise the fact that the current 10K loan for postgraduate courses does not cover conversion allied healthcare courses. So from what I've been reading there will be some kind of loan put in place so no self funding. I also know that if you are to do a second BSc in a healthcare degree then you are allowed to take out another loan with student finance.

Gosh it is so irritating not knowing actual possible circumstances though :/
Original post by Shinade H
Hi,

I plan on applying for the Msc in Speech and Language Therapy later this year. Is anyone else considering this?

Also - does anyone know what the current situation is with NHS bursaries for 2018?

Thanks in advance

:smile:

Hi,
I'm also thinking of applying for Msc in Speech and Language Therapy for 2018. What schools are you looking to apply to?
Reply 3
I've also been thinking about applying for Msc in Speech and Language Therapy for 2018 but I'm stumped due to the costs and the lack of information about the possible ways of financing.
Reply 4
Original post by Danielle2708
Update: they have now agreed to fund my tuition!!!!!

Who have you spoken to, Danielle? I'm applying for City for September 2018 entry but have no idea what costs to anticipate or what funding/loads will be on offer.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 5
I considered applying a year ago, but remember reading that the NHS funding had been cut. I then considered applying again this year and saw that the NHS funding was back on.
So unless things change again, I believe that there are essentially no tuition fees as the NHS covers it, but you will be ineligible for the postgraduate loan (£10,000)
Reply 6
Where did you see that the NHS would cover the fees? Doesn’t look that way > https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-bursary-reform/nhs-bursary-reform
Hi guys, I'm going to be applying to Sheffield and Newcastle this year, anyone have any tips? What do you guys think of my current amount of work experience?

Shadowed a paediatric SLT in a clinical setting and observed assessment and treatment

Shadowed a paediatric SLT for three school visits and observed assessment and treatment

Currently working on ward with the royal voluntary service as a conversation partner for stroke survivors and dementia sufferers (check them out if you need any experience with these groups)

Been caring for my grandmother who's a stroke survivor with vascular dementia

Visited a school I'd observed an SLT at and worked with staff and the children by carrying out the treatment provided by the SLT

Shadowed an SLT at a local special needs school

Helped out with the children at a special needs school for a few days focusing on communication difficulties

Been working with the child of a family friend with delayed language for the past 12 months, been carrying out vocal exercises and verb modelling prescribed by a private SLT while the parents were busy working

I also have an observation session coming up in a couple of weeks with (hopefully) adult communication disorder sufferers at a nearby city.

And (hopefully again) a few days observation at a local private SLT service.

I'd love to apply to some of the unis in the south like Reading and UCL, but the cost of living is far too high, and noone has any idea what the funding situation will be like for 2018 entry!
(edited 6 years ago)
Hello everyone, I'm considering applying. I have some undergrad courses in Speech-Language Pathology (from the USA) and clinical observation with speech-language pathologists.

I was already accepted to a Special Needs & Inclusion MA for this year, but I'm considering not doing it. I'm not even sure what kind of job I could get with that degree. I would be late starting, but they told me I could still do it. I thought it be good, if nothing else, to have in combination with speech therapy qualifications.

Wishing everyone luck in their applications!
Reply 9
Original post by Shinade H
Hi,

I plan on applying for the Msc in Speech and Language Therapy later this year. Is anyone else considering this?

Also - does anyone know what the current situation is with NHS bursaries for 2018?

Thanks in advance

:smile:

Im considering applying for SaLT MSc in 2018 as well! Although I didn't realise how competitive these courses are, and I'm now worried I don't have enough relevant experience.

For the courses I want to apply for, applications haven't yet opened. But I am worried about writing my personal statement, and can't find any good templates online to help! x
Original post by Darcy G
Im considering applying for SaLT MSc in 2018 as well! Although I didn't realise how competitive these courses are, and I'm now worried I don't have enough relevant experience.

For the courses I want to apply for, applications haven't yet opened. But I am worried about writing my personal statement, and can't find any good templates online to help! x

Don't you think it might be less competitive this year as (from what I know) there won't be NHS bursaries available? It seems like that will eliminate at least some competition.

And try not to worry! Just do your best with your application! I'm sure you'll be fine. :smile:
Original post by Danielle2708
Regarding the student finance funding, they will only give you a maintenance loan, not fund your tuition again. I've been on the phone to them for the past week going around in circles about funding

Update: they have now agreed to fund my tuition!!!!!

Just curious, but how did they already agree to fund your tuition? Are you already doing a course? I'm confused.
Original post by snowwhite016
Don't you think it might be less competitive this year as (from what I know) there won't be NHS bursaries available? It seems like that will eliminate at least some competition.

And try not to worry! Just do your best with your application! I'm sure you'll be fine. :smile:

That’s what I was thinking (hoping)! I’m sure less people will apply because of this, so fingers crossed it helps us! Thank you:smile: are you applying too?
Original post by Darcy G
That’s what I was thinking (hoping)! I’m sure less people will apply because of this, so fingers crossed it helps us! Thank you:smile: are you applying too?

I'm also hoping that. And yes, I'm applying. I'm hoping for Essex! Good luck to you!
Original post by snowwhite016
I'm also hoping that. And yes, I'm applying. I'm hoping for Essex! Good luck to you!

Good luck to you too!
Why is this thread so dead compared to all the previous years?
Original post by arneldfad
Why is this thread so dead compared to all the previous years?

No idea /: are you applying for next year too?
Original post by Darcy G
No idea /: are you applying for next year too?

Yeah, I'm only applying to newcastle and Sheffield though
Reply 18
I'm applying too! I'll have to commute from Brighton so I can only apply for UCL and City, so I'm just waiting for applications to open! The funding situation is highly annoying, I really hope it's cleared up soon.
I was thinking about applying to UCL, but with the funding situation and the current prices for SLT tuition, living in the South will probably be far too expensive...

Latest

Trending

Trending