The Student Room Group

i feel like i have wasted my time at University.

i feel like i have wasted all those years doing and learning the stuff which i know never want to use ...

i did computer science....

60% of the stuff i did i have no interest in and i am never going to use because i wanna do something else in the future now..

also i picked the wrong A levels and they werent for me either , i wish i did something else.

have i wasted 5 years of my life?
I'm doing computer science in college right now and I kind of feel the same, plus it's hard work knowing what to do.
Original post by study beats
i feel like i have wasted all those years doing and learning the stuff which i know never want to use ...

i did computer science....

60% of the stuff i did i have no interest in and i am never going to use because i wanna do something else in the future now..

also i picked the wrong A levels and they werent for me either , i wish i did something else.

have i wasted 5 years of my life?

Can you convert your degree into something else that is more in line with what you want to do?
What field do you want to be in?
Reply 3
Having a degree shows aptitude and perserverance. I wouldn't let it hinder you - as long as you can apply some of the skills, not necessarily knowledge, you'll be fine. Computer science, I assume, goes into a lot about problem solving and working methodically.
Reply 4
What's wrong with Computer Science? :hmmmm:
No point moping about what you could have done differently. Lots of people get jobs unrelated to their degrees. What are you going to do next?
Original post by Friffinghell
Can you convert your degree into something else that is more in line with what you want to do?
What field do you want to be in?

something like a design and creative career
Original post by UWS
What's wrong with Computer Science? :hmmmm:

theres nothing wrong with it, i just feel like it wasnt for me
Original post by Duncan2012
No point moping about what you could have done differently. Lots of people get jobs unrelated to their degrees. What are you going to do next?

honestly i have no idea what i am going to do next....

i keep thinking about how i am not going to get my 5 years back and how i have made such wrong choices in life, i cry thinking about it everyday
I feel the same. I did my degree with a specific career in mind but I will never achieve that dream so the whole thing was all for nothing. Now I have a job which isn't what I wanted to end up doing but it helps pay the bills and isn't too demanding but I wish I had studied something else rather than stubbornly aim for something I would never be able to do. Then I may have found a job that interests me more, got a better grade at uni, and also actually enjoyed my time spent there. It was a very expensive pipedream. :sigh:

I'm sorry that I don't really have any advice, I just wanted you to know you're not alone. :console: What are you doing with yourself now you've graduated?
Do you enjoy web design? That's creative, you can get a web design job by showcasing a portfolio of websites you have created and put these onto GitHub.

You could do a masters/postgraduate course in different subject.

Congrats on your degree, a degree can open up doors for you. I know someone who did geography and then went into finance related work. Also another guy who studied marketing and then got a job as a logistics co coordinator and he's progressed onto management now.

Good luck
(edited 6 years ago)
If you weren't interested in 60% of it, why on earth did you do it?
lol @ computer science being a waste of time
I know quite a few people with degrees in computer science who work for digital illustration businesses. Have a good think about whether you have the skills necessary.
You can always do some sort of conversion course. More to the point the skills you’ve learned through a computer science degree are invaluable in the digital age. Chill and seek advice from your careers service. Alumni usually have the benefit of careers service upon graduation.
Original post by study beats
honestly i have no idea what i am going to do next....

i keep thinking about how i am not going to get my 5 years back and how i have made such wrong choices in life, i cry thinking about it everyday

So, it's been almost 2 weeks since this thread was created. OP - what have you been doing to figure out your options?
i screwed up real bad too, the physics teacher even told me that it was too late for degrees at 48, but i wouldnt listen to anybody. I wanted to be an engineer, and I enjoyed uni life too much not having to go to work. I was a very ordinary student but i worked my guts out. I didnt have to really work until 3rd year and after that I realised how tough it really was. I should have taken six years but I took 4.5. I just managed passes in many subjects. After eleven years working as an electrical engineer now it is still a struggle and at times I want give up but its too late now, too committed. I think in hindsight i bit off more than I could chew, but hell we all make mistakes. I guess that's what life's about but sometimes. Make sure you have a good support network before embarking on an engineering degree as an adult and dont be afraid to speak up and negotiate with lecturors and head of school
I wish..... I wish.. Change that to I WILL DO SOMETHING BETTER TO CHANGE MY LIFE only u can... Good look
Reply 18
I feel same man. Im in my last semester my major is engineering physics and feel like i've waste all that money energy and time ... i dont know what the heck i want to do and when i think about future made me carzy! Im not sure what is best for me and u know ... its just such a tough situaton ...
the same problem, we learn technologies and stuffs (web development) that i will never use for example we waste 8 hours per week to learn just networks (the total hours per week're 16hours so 50% of hours) we don't learn other important stuffs, this's a big problem with that ****ing old system (universities)
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending