The Student Room Group

History- 1950's women

What was the role of women during the 1950s
:confused: why is this in health?

You tell us OP. What was their role?
Reply 2
Original post by Ruru123

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure whatever it was it's not a health issue. :tongue:
No worries, it happens. I'm going to move this to History Study Help. I'm sure the smarties there will know. :smile:
Original post by Ruru123

where? America? Britain? Somewhere else entirely?
Reply 4
Original post by Lemur14
where? America? Britain? Somewhere else entirely?

America
Original post by Ruru123
America

Any particular class?
They were mostly housewifes tbh
Original post by Ruru123
During the 1950s the US was stuck between WWII and the boom period later in the decade and into the 60s.

Important because the wider distribution of household items like vacuum cleaners and things meant that women in the domestic environment had more time (to play:colone:).

Ideas like domesticity, and recreation and employment and the relationship between them are what you should be thinking about.

In the US it was only later in the 60s/70s/80s that the abortion debate really flared up with Phyllis Schlafly etc.

From the 20s and 30s typists were the new waves of clerical female employment, you could make the case that this had become a normalised practice by the 1950s and therefore society had become used to the idea of women working in the male dominated world (regrettably not on equal footing).

I did Women's History at A Level so you're more than welcome to quiz me further.:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending