The Student Room Group

Migrant Worker - Changing job??

Hi,

I'm trying to understand full process and fairness of migrant worker status. After researching many related topics I see, as I understand, that the status is given to people who support themselves throughout academic year and are in genuine employment with purpose of gaining disposable income to support themselves.

From what I heard from your representatives over the phone, if I want to change job and "voluntarily quit" through giving my notice, my status will be gone, and getting new job in near future will not "renew" it?! In normal life, when having full time employment, there are moments that you wish to look for new job. What if I've been working more than 30 hours past 4 years, so fully genuine employment, and now I'd have a short break in this employment while I'm looking for a new job, how could that effect this status? What if I switch a job straight away? What if I have 1-2 weeks gap while negotiating terms with the second employer from the workplace that I found? What if I change job twice during one term, but without any major gap between employments (eg I'd start the other job a week after I quit the previous one)?

If you guys could give me some realistic scenarios, instead of this confusing "awarding regulations" that can be interpreted on milion different ways, because I cannot put up with my job anymore and don't want to loose this status and ruin my future, as I save the money for my masters... I've been working very hard past few years, and now reading all this regulations and about people who were refused the loan I'm just super stressed (but also coudn't find any case on the forum that would relate and apply to my situation).

Thanks!!
Original post by marcinmsz
Hi,

I'm trying to understand full process and fairness of migrant worker status. After researching many related topics I see, as I understand, that the status is given to people who support themselves throughout academic year and are in genuine employment with purpose of gaining disposable income to support themselves.

From what I heard from your representatives over the phone, if I want to change job and "voluntarily quit" through giving my notice, my status will be gone, and getting new job in near future will not "renew" it?! In normal life, when having full time employment, there are moments that you wish to look for new job. What if I've been working more than 30 hours past 4 years, so fully genuine employment, and now I'd have a short break in this employment while I'm looking for a new job, how could that effect this status? What if I switch a job straight away? What if I have 1-2 weeks gap while negotiating terms with the second employer from the workplace that I found? What if I change job twice during one term, but without any major gap between employments (eg I'd start the other job a week after I quit the previous one)?

If you guys could give me some realistic scenarios, instead of this confusing "awarding regulations" that can be interpreted on milion different ways, because I cannot put up with my job anymore and don't want to loose this status and ruin my future, as I save the money for my masters... I've been working very hard past few years, and now reading all this regulations and about people who were refused the loan I'm just super stressed (but also coudn't find any case on the forum that would relate and apply to my situation).

Thanks!!

Hi marcinmsz,

We would always advise that you not to leave your job, unless you have found another one, in order that there is no gaps in your employment.

If you leave your job before the start of the academic year, we would advise that you to apply on a EU17N, for the tuition fee only, then once you find employment you can apply as a Migrant Worker again.

If you have already been awarded funding as a Migrant Worker and you end that employment during the academic year voluntarily, you will automatically lose your status as a migrant worker. This means the funding may need to be reassesed and prorated.

We will require a copy of the P45; from the previous employer or a letter from previous employer confirming the employment end date. If you are unable to provide this we can accept a statement of earnings from HMRC. Send this with a cover letter and your customer reference number explaining the situation.

This will allow us to pro rata the funding entitlement for maintenance support from the start of the academic year up until the date you left employment.

You will continue to be eligible for the tuition fee for that period.

Each situation will be reviewed on a case by case basis by an assessor.

If you are able to find another job within a few weeks, from the new employer we will need a copy of their contract of employment and a letter from your employer confirming that the contract accurately represents the hours and terms on which you work with any available payslips from the new employer.

You will then be reassessed for your maintenance support on a pro rata basis to the end of the academic year as long as you continue working.

If you find that it is going to take you longer than a few weeks to obtain another job, we would advise that you then send a EU17N application form, as you will be entitled to Tuition fee only.

Thanks Rona
Reply 2
Hi Rona,

Thank you for your answer, that made everything much more clearer

Marcin
Reply 3
Hi there,and what happens if for instance the student gets sacked? Let's say... it does not pass probation or so? What happens then?
Original post by ppsmassa
Hi there,and what happens if for instance the student gets sacked? Let's say... it does not pass probation or so? What happens then?

Hi ppsmassa,

It would still be the same criteria we would still require evidence either a P45 or a letter from employer confirming when the employment ended.

Thanks

Catherine
Hi, I am working full time atm but in order to study full time I will have to leave my work and move into a part-time.I will have to travel to my country for 2 weeks and return on 1st September to find a part time. Will I still get the migrant worker loan or do I need to have found a job and dismiss myself from my full time before I apply
Original post by daniel_2019
Hi, I am working full time atm but in order to study full time I will have to leave my work and move into a part-time.I will have to travel to my country for 2 weeks and return on 1st September to find a part time. Will I still get the migrant worker loan or do I need to have found a job and dismiss myself from my full time before I apply

Hi Daniel,

Working part time does not mean you will lose your Migrant Worker status unless your work becomes ineffective, disingenuous and of a scale which would be considered marginal. However, voluntarily leaving your job means you will automatically lose your status and funding until you have supplied further employment details to prove you are back in continuous employment.

You are expected to apply earlier than on 01/09 if you're a September intake, this means that you will need to apply for EU funding only first then once you've got the necessary documents, we can change your application and pro rata your funding. This will at least ensure that your university is getting paid in the meantime.

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 7
Hi there , Can someone help my with an answer please. I’ve lost my job for a period of 10 weeks after this period I started to be a self employed can this affect my maintenance support from student finance .I have sent all the documents that they mentioned including a letter where I explained my gap between jobs , that I stopped working because of medical reasons. Best regard
Hi,

Are you a Migrant Worker? If so, can you please confirm exactly when you sent this evidence to us?

Warm regards,
Graeme
Original post by Anitto
Hi there , Can someone help my with an answer please. I’ve lost my job for a period of 10 weeks after this period I started to be a self employed can this affect my maintenance support from student finance .I have sent all the documents that they mentioned including a letter where I explained my gap between jobs , that I stopped working because of medical reasons. Best regard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending