The Student Room Group

Tom's Journey to Awesome AS Levels

:banana: Tom's Journey to Awesome AS Levels :banana:

Hey there, I'm Tom and some of you may know me from my GCSE GYG (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4527784)

I'm now going into Year 12 (I had my first day today) and I am taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature, all with WJEC. The WBQ (Welsh Baccalaureate) is also compulsory for me to complete. I hope to study medicine or something similar in the future.

My AS Levels are worth 40% of my final A Level grade, so it's pretty important for me to do well this year and stay on top of things, which is why this GYG is going to be important in helping me keep track of what I've done!

(Tagging those who may be interested)

A little about me:

Spoiler

GCSE info:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
SIXTH FORM DAY 1

My day started with...

Double Chemistry :thumbsup:

In this lesson, one of my teachers basically gave us an overview of the course and we went back to the basics of formulae and equations - not too bad at all. The teacher did warn us how tough Chemistry is going to get, so I am pretty nervous. I've also been set a balancing equations worksheet as homework.

I then got to explore the common room and go inside the Sixth Form coffee shop, which was pretty cool. After break I had...

Double WBQ :unimpressed:

This was a killer, I always hated WBQ, but I'm actually going to put in a lot of effort from the get go, since in the National Level I slumped in Year 10 but worked really hard in Year 11, so Year 10 dragged my grade down from an A to a B... At A Level we start with the Global Challenge, so today explored critical thinking. Nothing very exciting.

After lunch I had my last lesson of the day...

Biology :yep:

A ridiculous number of people showed up, so the class had to be split up. Luckily I was still with my friends after the split. With the teacher I had today we started covering Nucleic Acids and tomorrow with the other teacher we are starting Biological Molecules.

It was a pretty good today, I enjoyed Bio and Chem, hated WBQ. I'm pretty happy with the people in my classes and with my teachers. I'm excited for Physics tomorrow! :biggrin:
Wahooooo! :biggrin: I never knew your GCSE results before this - well done on all A*s, that's amazing!! :hugs:

Good luck for Y12, hope your lessons stay interesting like they are now! :h:
Reply 3
Original post by Protostar
Wahooooo! :biggrin: I never knew your GCSE results before this - well done on all A*s, that's amazing!!

Good luck for Y12, hope your lessons stay interesting like they are now! :h:

Thank you so much! Aaah! :hugs:Year 12 seems like it'll be pretty cool, I hope so too!
Hope you had a great second day! What's your favourite subject so far? x
Reply 5
Original post by buzzyambee
Hope you had a great second day! What's your favourite subject so far? x

Thank you! Definitely Biology, but I still haven't had Eng Lit yet! How are you finding A Levels? :tongue:
Reply 6
SIXTH FORM DAY 2

Today was a pretty decent day!

Double Biology :thumbsup:

This lesson started with yet another timetable mess-up as we found out that we actually have a different teacher to who we were timetabled to had, but I was ok with this since I'm getting my GCSE Bio teacher again, who is a bit of a legend :biggrin: When the lesson actually began we started Biochemistry and looked at monosaccharides and disaccharides, including alpha and beta glucose. It felt a lot like a Chemistry lesson and was really interesting.

After break I had...

Double Physics (Pt 1) :facepalm:

The lesson started with an introduction to the course and then BAM straight into the deep end with solids under stress and springs... I did not feel prepared at all and was the only person who didn't seem to understand the concept...

Double Physics (Pt 2) :clap2:

We then swapped to our other Physics teacher and started the topic of Basic Physics and holy moly it was so much easier, I felt a lot better after this class. We looked at SI Units, homogeneity and deriving units :smile:

In my free tbh I just wandered the school with my friends since none of us had any urgent work to get done... I swear not all of my frees will be spent like this... Also my GCSE Spanish teacher approached me and congratulated me on my result saying it was the highest in our class :colondollar: I actually realised how much I miss Spanish lessons and I'm going to ask her for advice on keeping up with learning the language alongside A Levels because I really want to become proficient in it! I wish A Levels weren't so complex and I could do more subjects :frown: I really miss Spanish, Geography and Drama.

This evening I did some balanced symbol equations and reviewed the work we did in the first hour of Physics and I ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND NOW :biggrin: I'll be doing the homework questions on the topic tomorrow.

I'm excited for my first English Literature lesson tomorrow!
Original post by Tombre
Thank you! Definitely Biology, but I still haven't had Eng Lit yet! How are you finding A Levels? :tongue:

Ah cool, I'm liking biology so far too! I'm definitely finding it challenging - but in a good way. The atmosphere at sixth form is a lot nicer than lower down the school :smile:
Reply 8
Ah cool, I'm liking biology so far too! I'm definitely finding it challenging - but in a good way. The atmosphere at sixth form is a lot nicer than lower down the school :smile:

I agree, it's pretty interesting and gets you thinking! :biggrin: I'm actually still unsure about the atmosphere... it is definitely nicer, but it's also very different, so I'm finding it strange adapting to such a new feel in such a familiar environment :s-smilie:
Original post by Tombre
I agree, it's pretty interesting and gets you thinking! :biggrin: I'm actually still unsure about the atmosphere... it is definitely nicer, but it's also very different, so I'm finding it strange adapting to such a new feel in such a familiar environment :s-smilie:

I get what you mean actually... I found it quite a shock with the amount of independence we have on us now :colondollar:
Reply 10
SIXTH FORM DAY 3

I have now had a lesson in all four of my options!

Double English Literature :thumbsup:

The first hour consisted of my teacher explaining the course content and the set texts for those who didn't already know, a few quizzes about well-known books (e.g. who wrote Winnie the Pooh?), exploring the assessment objectives and delving into the importance of the study of literature and how it is relevant to all sorts of careers (especially since the majority of my class are also A Level Science and Maths students).

The texts I am studying this year are The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy, A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams, a Sylvia Plath poetry anthology and a Ted Hughes poetry anthology.

In the second hour we discussed our first impressions of Thomas Hardy and some basic vital information about him and the context of The Mayor of Casterbridge. The class was then split into three groups and each was given a different research project. My group has to research life in Victorian England and my specific role is researching cultural aspects like art, music and literature, as well as scientific discoveries.

Double Chemistry :excited:

We started with some very basic GCSE revision of atomic structure and then moved swiftly onto revising radioactivity from GCSE Physics. Most of the lesson was basic recall, with a couple of new concepts thrown in. We were set homework to answer half life exam questions and we have a test on radioactivity next Wednesday.

WBQ :facepalm:

This actually wasn't too bad. We continued looking at reliability of different sources in order to help us develop personal standpoints. We specifically looked at case studies of KFC treatment of chickens and "treatments" for homosexuality in the 1970s (two very different cases, I know).
Reply 11
I get what you mean actually... I found it quite a shock with the amount of independence we have on us now :colondollar:

Me too! Even though I've literally heard the exact same speech about independence a million times before starting Year 12, I never thought it would actually happen :colondollar: oooops. I'm also getting the most homework I've ever had before :frown:
Reply 12
DEADLINE TRACKER

I've ordered a homework planner online, but it hasn't arrived yet, so excuse me while I use this space to keep track of my upcoming deadlines...

BIOLOGY
- Nothing to see here

CHEMISTRY
- Balancing equations worksheet (Due Wednesday)
- Half life exam questions (Due Monday)
- Radioactivity test (Wednesday)

PHYSICS
- Revise springs and complete online springs quiz (By Friday)
- Print off data sheet (By Friday)
- Read and print topic notes (By Friday)

ENGLISH LITERATURE
- Reread The Mayor of Casterbridge chapter one (By Friday)
- Research culture of Victorian England (Due Wednesday)
Reply 13
Hey!:biggrin: I loved your GCSE blog so I can't wait to read about your journey to awesome A levels! Also (just wondering but) did you do Dofe? :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Jpijx
Hey!:biggrin: I loved your GCSE blog so I can't wait to read about your journey to awesome A levels! Also (just wondering but) did you do Dofe? :smile:

Hi! Thank you so much! I didn't do DofE... I wish I had now, but oh well :smile:
Reply 15
UPDATE
I'm so sorry for my inactivity over the past couple of weeks. I guess I've been busy with school, social events and extra curricular stuff. Also, this week my school community faced a terrible tragedy that has slightly affected things, so I have been a bit put out to post, but things are ok now :redface: I'll just give a couple of updates of where I am with school and other activities and I'm going to do my best to get back into the swing of regular posting over the next few days.

English Literature
- In Poetry we are ploughing through the Ted Hughes collection and his work can be a little boring, but once you get analysing, he really does have some interesting meanings behind his poems. I especially liked his poems about the jaguar. We did a surprise 'test', which was not graded, but just used by the teacher as a "how are you coping with poetry" and I think I did decently, but definitely not the standard I want to be at.
- In Prose we are tracking through The Mayor of Casterbridge. We spent absolutely ages analysing Chapter 1 (of 45...), but we are finally picking up pace and exploring more of the novel as a whole. In my first extract essay I got 17/20, which I was really happy with :biggrin:
- I'm currently trying to get a headstart on A Streetcar Named Desire before we start covering it after Christmas. By that I just mean watching the play and the movie and reading up on the key themes and context.

Biology
- With one teacher we are moving on to cell biology and will very soon have a test on biological molecules. I'm finding these aspects of the course very enjoyable and straightforward. :tongue:
- With our other teacher we are covering nucleic acids, which is extremely interesting, but a little bit slow-paced.

Chemistry
- With one teacher we just finished formulae and equations and are now doing chemical calculations. This side of the course can be quite challenging because of the mathematical nature of it, but I think I'm coping okay.
- I'm still doing basic ideas about atoms with the other teacher. We just finished ionisation energies and orbitals (and finding out that GCSE Chem was a tiny bit of a lie, but don't get me started on that :laugh: We are now looking at absorption and emission spectra, which is highly reminiscent of GCSE Physics.
- In my formulae and equations test I got 17/20 (A), in my radioactivity test I got 18/20 (A) and in my ionisation energies and orbitals test I got 15/20 (B) :smile:

Physics
- I've just finished basic physics (resolving, vectors, moments, units etc) with one teacher and we are about to move onto kinematics and dynamics. In my first basic physics test I got 11/12, which I was pretty damn happy with. My second basic physics test is this Friday. In my practical analysis test I got 6/10, which I'm fine with, seeing as I hate practicals in physics.
- With the other teacher we just finished solids under stress, which took me ages to understand, but finally I do! :biggrin: Next we are doing radiation and stars, which I'm so excited for!

Other

I don't remember if I've already mentioned this, but I was chosen to be part of my school's team for EESW (Engineering Education Scheme Wales). We have been teamed up with Tata Steel to help produce a database for their consumers to find out more about the details of the steel they're creating. It certainly isn't the most exciting of projects, but it is an amazing opportunity to be part of :h:

In WBQ we are currently preparing for our Global Citizen Challenge assessment, which is coming in December. I can't be bothered with the Global Challenge right now, it's just so so dull. I'm looking forward to the EPQ-esque unit of WBQ, but the rest of the units can just go away :angry:

Last week I auditioned for the school production, which is Oliver this year. I got a call back, which I actually attended tonight. My callback was for the character of Dodger and I like to think that it went pretty well! :biggrin:

I've already mentioned that I'm part of the Seren Project and we recently had a parents evening discussing it and I found out more about the skills-teaching and masterclasses that will be a part of the project.

I've signed up for 3 subject masterclasses in Cambridge University in November. I have classes in Genetics and Biochemistry, Evolutionary Biology and Chemistry on 3 consecutive weekends in November, which I'm really excited for.

My medical work experience in a psychiatric ward is approaching in a few weeks and I'm really looking forward to the experience. I'm sure it's going to be valuable and really help me decide if medicine is a route I would like to go down. :smile:

I've been trying to keep up my Spanish, as I really miss studying it and it was my highest GCSE (if you breakdown the UMS of each subject). I've been practising on Duolingo and hope to be returning to my Spanish tutor that I saw through GCSE :biggrin:

As well as keeping up with the academic side of things and my social life, I have also been going to the gym and the occasional yoga class in order to keep my physical health really good. In the coming weeks I'm hoping to get back into swimming, since I used to swim all of the time and in recent months I've barely swam at all.

I returned to the Young Actors Studio in the RWCMD this year and I love it so much. Acting is one of my favourite things and since I don't do drama as a subject in school anymore, this weekly class is really important for me to stay creative and keep up my skills.

So here is an update on pretty much everything going on for me with my subjects and extra-curricular activities, as I said, I hope to return to regular posting ASAP :tongue:
Original post by Tombre
UPDATE
I'm so sorry for my inactivity over the past couple of weeks. I guess I've been busy with school, social events and extra curricular stuff. Also, this week my school community faced a terrible tragedy that has slightly affected things, so I have been a bit put out to post, but things are ok now :redface: I'll just give a couple of updates of where I am with school and other activities and I'm going to do my best to get back into the swing of regular posting over the next few days.

English Literature
- In Poetry we are ploughing through the Ted Hughes collection and his work can be a little boring, but once you get analysing, he really does have some interesting meanings behind his poems. I especially liked his poems about the jaguar. We did a surprise 'test', which was not graded, but just used by the teacher as a "how are you coping with poetry" and I think I did decently, but definitely not the standard I want to be at.
- In Prose we are tracking through The Mayor of Casterbridge. We spent absolutely ages analysing Chapter 1 (of 45...), but we are finally picking up pace and exploring more of the novel as a whole. In my first extract essay I got 17/20, which I was really happy with :biggrin:
- I'm currently trying to get a headstart on A Streetcar Named Desire before we start covering it after Christmas. By that I just mean watching the play and the movie and reading up on the key themes and context.

Biology
- With one teacher we are moving on to cell biology and will very soon have a test on biological molecules. I'm finding these aspects of the course very enjoyable and straightforward. :tongue:
- With our other teacher we are covering nucleic acids, which is extremely interesting, but a little bit slow-paced.

Chemistry
- With one teacher we just finished formulae and equations and are now doing chemical calculations. This side of the course can be quite challenging because of the mathematical nature of it, but I think I'm coping okay.
- I'm still doing basic ideas about atoms with the other teacher. We just finished ionisation energies and orbitals (and finding out that GCSE Chem was a tiny bit of a lie, but don't get me started on that :laugh: We are now looking at absorption and emission spectra, which is highly reminiscent of GCSE Physics.
- In my formulae and equations test I got 17/20 (A), in my radioactivity test I got 18/20 (A) and in my ionisation energies and orbitals test I got 15/20 (B) :smile:

Physics
- I've just finished basic physics (resolving, vectors, moments, units etc) with one teacher and we are about to move onto kinematics and dynamics. In my first basic physics test I got 11/12, which I was pretty damn happy with. My second basic physics test is this Friday. In my practical analysis test I got 6/10, which I'm fine with, seeing as I hate practicals in physics.
- With the other teacher we just finished solids under stress, which took me ages to understand, but finally I do! :biggrin: Next we are doing radiation and stars, which I'm so excited for!

Other

I don't remember if I've already mentioned this, but I was chosen to be part of my school's team for EESW (Engineering Education Scheme Wales). We have been teamed up with Tata Steel to help produce a database for their consumers to find out more about the details of the steel they're creating. It certainly isn't the most exciting of projects, but it is an amazing opportunity to be part of :h:

In WBQ we are currently preparing for our Global Citizen Challenge assessment, which is coming in December. I can't be bothered with the Global Challenge right now, it's just so so dull. I'm looking forward to the EPQ-esque unit of WBQ, but the rest of the units can just go away :angry:

Last week I auditioned for the school production, which is Oliver this year. I got a call back, which I actually attended tonight. My callback was for the character of Dodger and I like to think that it went pretty well! :biggrin:

I've already mentioned that I'm part of the Seren Project and we recently had a parents evening discussing it and I found out more about the skills-teaching and masterclasses that will be a part of the project.

I've signed up for 3 subject masterclasses in Cambridge University in November. I have classes in Genetics and Biochemistry, Evolutionary Biology and Chemistry on 3 consecutive weekends in November, which I'm really excited for.

My medical work experience in a psychiatric ward is approaching in a few weeks and I'm really looking forward to the experience. I'm sure it's going to be valuable and really help me decide if medicine is a route I would like to go down. :smile:

I've been trying to keep up my Spanish, as I really miss studying it and it was my highest GCSE (if you breakdown the UMS of each subject). I've been practising on Duolingo and hope to be returning to my Spanish tutor that I saw through GCSE :biggrin:

As well as keeping up with the academic side of things and my social life, I have also been going to the gym and the occasional yoga class in order to keep my physical health really good. In the coming weeks I'm hoping to get back into swimming, since I used to swim all of the time and in recent months I've barely swam at all.

I returned to the Young Actors Studio in the RWCMD this year and I love it so much. Acting is one of my favourite things and since I don't do drama as a subject in school anymore, this weekly class is really important for me to stay creative and keep up my skills.

So here is an update on pretty much everything going on for me with my subjects and extra-curricular activities, as I said, I hope to return to regular posting ASAP :tongue:

That's a lot of extra curriculars! :shock:

Your test results are fab so far - keep it up!! Glad you seem to be enjoying everything, even if pace is a bit slow :tongue: Better than the teachers running ahead and leaving you confused! :yep:
Reply 17
Original post by Protostar
That's a lot of extra curriculars! :shock:

Your test results are fab so far - keep it up!! Glad you seem to be enjoying everything, even if pace is a bit slow :tongue: Better than the teachers running ahead and leaving you confused! :yep:

I guess it is a lot haha, but most of them are one off events. The only long term time-consuming things I'll be doing are the school production, EESW and acting :tongue:

Thank you! :biggrin: I'll try and keep it up, but things certainly are getting a little bit harder now :s-smilie: and you're absolutely right, it's just that I'm that one kid that panics we won't finish everything before mocks and AS, even though I know we will aha.
Original post by Tombre
I guess it is a lot haha, but most of them are one off events. The only long term time-consuming things I'll be doing are the school production, EESW and acting :tongue:

Thank you! :biggrin: I'll try and keep it up, but things certainly are getting a little bit harder now :s-smilie: and you're absolutely right, it's just that I'm that one kid that panics we won't finish everything before mocks and AS, even though I know we will aha.

Ahhh that makes sense then, and if you enjoy them then there's nothing wrong with doing lots of them at all! :hugs:

You'll cope, I know it :yep: Oh trust me I'm that kid too - I've ranted at many teachers for going (what I think is) too slow :colondollar:
Reply 19
12/10/2017

Today was actually a very relaxing day amongst a bunch of fairly stressful days, which was nice.

I started with double WBQ, which is usually a killer, but we spent the first hour doing what should have been a 5 minute group activity, so that was fine :laugh: and then in the second hour we started to type a practise personal standpoint on a global issue, but me and my friends decided it would be a good idea to play the google translate game instead... oops :colondollar: It's fine, I still managed to get about 2 1/2 paragraphs done, which was actually around about the class average, so I didn't miss out on much :tongue:

After break, I had double Biology, which was really relaxing since we are about 2 weeks ahead of the other classes in biochemistry and cells, so we got to have a chat with the teacher and do some past paper questions with hot chocolate :smile: It was super nice.

This evening I completed my assessed task on moments for Physics and I'm currently in the middle of doing some quickfire revision questions for English Lit Prose.

Even though I would never want to not do any of my subjects, my options still just don't feel right. It's so strange adapting from 12 subjects to 4 (or 5 depending on how you look at WBQ). If anyone has any advice on this, it'd be very appreciated! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending