The Student Room Group

House plants at uni - do you have one?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AsphodelMist
For a while I wanted to have a cactus to take to uni with me in september. about a week ago my bestie surprised me with 2 baby cacti, potted and everything.

My bed is pressed right up against my window (the only window in my room) and my sheets are plain bright white.

I ran up to my room to put my cacti on my window sill but before I even reached it I tripped over my rug (typical clumsy blonde that I am) and dropped one of the cacti. On my freshly washed white bedding. Soil everywhere. Not to mention I had stubbed my toe on the bed post as I fell so the whole situation was a lot more sweary.

A couple of nights ago, after having just watered my new cacti, I hopped out of bed for a glass of water. I was as fast as possible so I wouldnt lose any of that snuggly bed heat from the duvet, and as I pulled my duvet back over me, behold my cacti (the same one that was dropped earlier) came flying with my sheets, hooked on for dear life. This time it was 1 am. I had soggy soil everywhere, dirty brown bed sheets that were soaking. I couldnt be bothered to change them, not at that time. So my suicidal cactus got an incredibly comfy night sleep whilst I slept on the floor with a blanket, picking the spikes out of my fingers from my brief (failed) attempt to pick it up.

I still love my cacti. This will not be the last time it falls into my bed either.

:lol: :lol: oh dear! At least your cactus loves you, it just wants a spiney cuddle!! :biggrin: Maybe get a heavier pot to weight it down... as long as that doesn't fall too and knock you out!

Original post by WilliamsQI
In my Uni house for 2nd year, I want to put a plant in the living room window, to block the rather unsightly view from it. I think it would improve the the room a lot. Thinking a spider plant might do the trick, but does anyone have any suggestions for a plant that would do the trick?

I hope I can convince everyone else in the house we need one.:redface:

Spider plant is good, how sunny is the window, does it get direct sunshine?
For a while I wanted to have a cactus to take to uni with me in september. about a week ago my bestie surprised me with 2 baby cacti, potted and everything.

My bed is pressed right up against my window (the only window in my room) and my sheets are plain bright white.

I ran up to my room to put my cacti on my window sill but before I even reached it I tripped over my rug (typical clumsy blonde that I am) and dropped one of the cacti. On my freshly washed white bedding. Soil everywhere. Not to mention I had stubbed my toe on the bed post as I fell so the whole situation was a lot more sweary.

A couple of nights ago, after having just watered my new cacti, I hopped out of bed for a glass of water. I was as fast as possible so I wouldnt lose any of that snuggly bed heat from the duvet, and as I pulled my duvet back over me, behold my cacti (the same one that was dropped earlier) came flying with my sheets, hooked on for dear life. This time it was 1 am. I had soggy soil everywhere, dirty brown bed sheets that were soaking. I couldnt be bothered to change them, not at that time. So my suicidal cactus got an incredibly comfy night sleep whilst I slept on the floor with a blanket, picking the spikes out of my fingers from my brief (failed) attempt to pick it up.

I still love my cacti. This will not be the last time it falls into my bed either.

:lol: :lol: oh dear! At least your cactus loves you, it just wants a spiney cuddle!! :biggrin: Maybe get a heavier pot to weight it down... as long as that doesn't fall too and knock you out!

In my Uni house for 2nd year, I want to put a plant in the living room window, to block the rather unsightly view from it. I think it would improve the the room a lot. Thinking a spider plant might do the trick, but does anyone have any suggestions for a plant that would do the trick?

I hope I can convince everyone else in the house we need one.:redface:

For a while I wanted to have a cactus to take to uni with me in september. about a week ago my bestie surprised me with 2 baby cacti, potted and everything.My bed is pressed right up against my window (the only window in my room) and my sheets are plain bright white.I ran up to my room to put my cacti on my window sill but before I even reached it I tripped over my rug (typical clumsy blonde that I am) and dropped one of the cacti. On my freshly washed white bedding. Soil everywhere. Not to mention I had stubbed my toe on the bed post as I fell so the whole situation was a lot more sweary.A couple of nights ago, after having just watered my new cacti, I hopped out of bed for a glass of water. I was as fast as possible so I wouldnt lose any of that snuggly bed heat from the duvet, and as I pulled my duvet back over me, behold my cacti (the same one that was dropped earlier) came flying with my sheets, hooked on for dear life. This time it was 1 am. I had soggy soil everywhere, dirty brown bed sheets that were soaking. I couldnt be bothered to change them, not at that time. So my suicidal cactus got an incredibly comfy night sleep whilst I slept on the floor with a blanket, picking the spikes out of my fingers from my brief (failed) attempt to pick it up.I still love my cacti. This will not be the last time it falls into my bed either.
In my Uni house for 2nd year, I want to put a plant in the living room window, to block the rather unsightly view from it. I think it would improve the the room a lot. Thinking a spider plant might do the trick, but does anyone have any suggestions for a plant that would do the trick? I hope I can convince everyone else in the house we need one.:redface:
For a while I wanted to have a cactus to take to uni with me in september. about a week ago my bestie surprised me with 2 baby cacti, potted and everything.My bed is pressed right up against my window (the only window in my room) and my sheets are plain bright white.I ran up to my room to put my cacti on my window sill but before I even reached it I tripped over my rug (typical clumsy blonde that I am) and dropped one of the cacti. On my freshly washed white bedding. Soil everywhere. Not to mention I had stubbed my toe on the bed post as I fell so the whole situation was a lot more sweary.A couple of nights ago, after having just watered my new cacti, I hopped out of bed for a glass of water. I was as fast as possible so I wouldnt lose any of that snuggly bed heat from the duvet, and as I pulled my duvet back over me, behold my cacti (the same one that was dropped earlier) came flying with my sheets, hooked on for dear life. This time it was 1 am. I had soggy soil everywhere, dirty brown bed sheets that were soaking. I couldnt be bothered to change them, not at that time. So my suicidal cactus got an incredibly comfy night sleep whilst I slept on the floor with a blanket, picking the spikes out of my fingers from my brief (failed) attempt to pick it up.I still love my cacti. This will not be the last time it falls into my bed either.
In my Uni house for 2nd year, I want to put a plant in the living room window, to block the rather unsightly view from it. I think it would improve the the room a lot. Thinking a spider plant might do the trick, but does anyone have any suggestions for a plant that would do the trick? I hope I can convince everyone else in the house we need one.:redface:
Well I've only been to the house twice (once when viewing and recently to collect keys and take a look around) but it was a sunny day when I went, and yeah the window gets a fair bit of light, as the house backing onto it is a far way back.
I see the TSR gardening society isn't really a goer yet :biggrin:
I like this thread :biggrin:

I DO!! I have three cute little cacti, a little flowering plant and then some peonies in a window box! :awesome:
Original post by Paracosm
I like this thread :biggrin:

I DO!! I have three cute little cacti, a little flowering plant and then some peonies in a window box! :awesome:

:five:

I'm growing herbs at the moment and now I've unpacked everything I can safely bring my cacti and spiderplant to join me :awesome:
Original post by chelseadagg3r
:five:

I'm growing herbs at the moment and now I've unpacked everything I can safely bring my cacti and spiderplant to join me :awesome:

:awesome:

omg we can be cacti buddies
:awesome:

omg we can be cacti buddies

:nope:

Cacti companions
:nope:

Cacti companions

let's do it! First one to have a cactus die on them has to... uh... buy the other a keyring??? :hmmm:
let's do it! First one to have a cactus die on them has to... uh... buy the other a keyring??? :hmmm:

Cactus keyring in memory of the dead one? Deal :colone:

(honestly if my mum has killed them already while I've been away omg)
Cactus keyring in memory of the dead one? Deal :colone:

(honestly if my mum has killed them already while I've been away omg)

:cheers: it's on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending