The Student Room Group

How to approach crush?

I'm in Year 12 and there's a girl at my swimming club who's in Year 11 (doing her GCSE's). I really like her but the problem is

1) I only swim once a week and only see her then
2) Her parents are often in the nearby café so I can't talk to her afterwards

I made a previous thread where I thought perhaps I could just talk to her a few times and ask her number after that, but I need a reason to ask that, right?

I'm a fairly school-oriented person, so forgive me if I suggest this... but do you think it would be alright if I offer to help her out with her exam revision...

Spoiler

...so that I can get in touch with her / get her contact details, or do you think this would send her the wrong impression that I'm not interested in going out / becoming friends with her? What are your thoughts on how to approach this? I'm aware age difference (though small) might be seen as an issue but I'm not interested in a relationship purely for the sexual side of it.

P.S. My primary school was single sex (though it isn't anymore), and so is my current grammar school. I've only had a proper experience talking to girls since my school finally allowed girls to come into sixth form from other schools. I've got over my awkwardness and can comfortably hold a conversation anyone (somehow).

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm in Year 12 and there's a girl at my swimming club who's in Year 11 (doing her GCSE's). I really like her but the problem is

I made a previous thread where I thought perhaps I could just talk to her a few times and ask her number after that, but I need a reason to ask that, right?

I'm a fairly school-oriented person, so forgive me if I suggest this... but do you think it would be alright if I offer to help her out with her exam revision...

Spoiler

...so that I can get in touch with her / get her contact details, or do you think this would send her the wrong impression that I'm not interested in going out / becoming friends with her? What are your thoughts on how to approach this? I'm aware age difference (though small) might be seen as an issue but I'm not interested in a relationship purely for the sexual side of it.

P.S. My primary school was single sex (though it isn't anymore), and so is my current grammar school. I've only had a proper experience talking to girls since my school finally allowed girls to come into sixth form from other schools. I've got over my awkwardness and can comfortably hold a conversation anyone (somehow).

I think that's totally fine, that's really sweet. It's a good way to start something going and swap contact details ...I don't think it gives the wrong impression at all. Also it's just an offer, she doesn't have to take it!
Reply 2
Original post by teenstressaddict
I think that's totally fine, that's really sweet. It's a good way to start something going and swap contact details ...I don't think it gives the wrong impression at all. Also it's just an offer, she doesn't have to take it!

Yea, guess so. Although if she declines, I'd mostly be gutted because I have so much revision material that would help her :biggrin:
Yea, guess so. Although if she declines, I'd mostly be gutted because I have so much revision material that would help her :biggrin:

You won't know until you try...100% go for it, and if she declines it's her loss
Reply 4
You won't know until you try...100% go for it, and if she declines it's her loss

Thanks. I wish I had a few mins to talk to her though, because it's literally that she gets dropped off, goes to change, and then when swimming's over, she goes straight to the cafe where her mum usually is. I guess the only time to ask her that is in the changing rooms.
Thanks. I wish I had a few mins to talk to her though, because it's literally that she gets dropped off, goes to change, and then when swimming's over, she goes straight to the cafe where her mum usually is. I guess the only time to ask her that is in the changing rooms.

Yeah it's a difficult one, but speaking as someone who's been in both positions (I.e the one scared to talk to the other, and the one who someone's been scared to talk to), once the move is made it's done! Just walk past her when you see her and be like "oh hey i was meaning to say..." keep it casual :smile:

Spoiler

How do I say this 🤔. Don't approach her, trust me I know from experience approaching your crush never ends well...
Reply 7
Yeah it's a difficult one, but speaking as someone who's been in both positions (I.e the one scared to talk to the other, and the one who someone's been scared to talk to), once the move is made it's done! Just walk past her when you see her and be like "oh hey i was meaning to say..." keep it casual :smile:

I think, I'll ask a few innocent questions about what she does out of school etc. to start the conversation before asking her about revision and for details to stay in touch.
I think, I'll ask a few innocent questions about what she does out of school etc. to start the conversation before asking her about revision and for details to stay in touch.

Sounds good :smile: feel like I'm emotionally invested in this now haha, hope it all goes well!
Reply 9
Original post by Ryanthom100
How do I say this 🤔. Don't approach her, trust me I know from experience approaching your crush never ends well...

As someone above has said, the worst than can happen is they reject my offer. Hardly a nightmare scenario which I can never recover from.
As someone above has said, the worst than can happen is they reject my offer. Hardly a nightmare scenario which I can never recover from.

I mean this in the kindest way possible. I hope u get rejected, as if she does give u her number and u talk to her, then she rejects u as it ain't going well, it will be horrible.
Original post by VirgoStrain
Erm... how do you expect to get into any sort of relationship with those sort of expectations?

well having a crush on a girl is different, as it's more painful after rejection. Just go for a girl you find attractive.
Original post by Ryanthom100
well having a crush on a girl is different, as it's more painful after rejection. Just go for a girl you find attractive.

It’s not really a “crush”. I don’t have strong feelings for her, I’m just somewhat interested in her and I think she’s pretty. The last proper crush I can think of was on a girl that left my swimming club a year ago (unfortunately she’s in year 10 now, but looked older). Anyway, i just want to get to know her and see how it goes. I don’t think rejection would really impact me unless I started to develop strong feelings for her.
It’s not really a “crush”. I don’t have strong feelings for her, I’m just somewhat interested in her and I think she’s pretty. The last proper crush I can think of was on a girl that left my swimming club a year ago (unfortunately she’s in year 10 now, but looked older). Anyway, i just want to get to know her and see how it goes. I don’t think rejection would really impact me unless I started to develop strong feelings for her.

hmm ok, u should go for it then mate. good luck

I’ve just got out of my secondary school (boys only), I’m glad I wasn’t the only one feeling awkward talking to girls. I still am, but I’m happy you got over it, now I gotta start too
Reply 15
How do you she needs help?

What if she got/gets more As than you? What would you say? Uhh, H-h-hi, You look like a dumb bimbo, do you want my help with your revision?
Original post by catacat
How do you she needs help?

What if she got/gets more As than you? What would you say? Uhh, H-h-hi, You look like a dumb bimbo, do you want my help with your revision?

Can she beat 10 A*’s and 3 A’s though? She’s only doing 11.
Reply 17
Could go swimming more than once in a week?

Or, alternatively, have you got her on any form of Social Media?

If not, write your number on a bit of paper, screw it up and leave it on the side of the pool within eyeshot, then when you get out pick it up and give it to her and say "I think is yours".

Job done.
Original post by utr
Could go swimming more than once in a week?

Or, alternatively, have you got her on any form of Social Media?

If not, write your number on a bit of paper, screw it up and leave it on the side of the pool within eyeshot, then when you get out pick it up and give it to her and say "I think is yours".

Job done.

Hmm... that’s weird. I could easily find her social media with her full name, but I’d rather communicate with her using text.
Reply 19
Hmm... that’s weird. I could easily find her social media with her full name, but I’d rather communicate with her using text.

Ends up with her having your number either way.

Regarding your method of communication, for some reason people can be weird around giving their numbers out but they'll openly speak to you on FB/Twitter etc, I'd use that as your backup.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending