The Student Room Group

Can teachers see what universities you’re applying to from their end?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by itsfantanoo
Well, you're wrong here.

Thanks very much for your unsubstantiated opinion. Read my edited post if you like.
Original post by Glassapple
Thanks very much for your unsubstantiated opinion.

It's not an opinion.
It's not an opinion.

Every post on this thread apart from claireestelle’s is opinion.
Original post by PQ
Every post on this thread apart from claireestelle’s is opinion.

Incorrect. It's fact that unis give out offers to people with lower predicted grades. Which is also claireestelle's point. Therefore for Glassapple to say that it's "completely useless" is objectively wrong.

Edit: Sorry misread claireestelle's point but that's besides the point.
(edited 6 years ago)
Incorrect. It's fact that unis give out offers to people with lower predicted grades. Which is also claireestelle's point. Therefore for Glassapple to say that it's "completely useless" is objectively wrong.

Have you actually read clairesstelle's post? She says nothing of the sort at all, only that you can stop teachers from seeing where you're applying to.
Have you actually read clairesstelle's post? She says nothing of the sort at all, only that you can stop teachers from seeing where you're applying to.

My bad.

Although at least I can admit im wrong.

An offer above your predictions is completely useless if you’re unlikely to exceed your predictions. While universities do often accept lower grades there is no guarantee.

Past performance is no guarantee of future success.
Original post by PQ
An offer above your predictions is completely useless if you’re unlikely to exceed your predictions. While universities do often accept lower grades there is no guarantee.

Past performance is no guarantee of future success.

Irrelevant. Point is the offer is given. It's then up to the offer holder to meet the offer.
Irrelevant. Point is the offer is given. It's then up to the offer holder to meet the offer.

An unachievable offer is worthless. In fact it’s worth less than a rejection.

As I said. If you’re not interested in listening to advice then don’t ask for it.
Applying to universities above your predicted grades is completely stupid, there will literally be hundreds (if not thousands depending on the university and the course) of other students who either meet or exceed the grade requirements who apply. What possible hope do you think you have of being chosen over one of those people? It's absolute zero, competition for university places has never been more fierce and universities have absolutely no reason to give a place to somebody who doesn't even meet their basic requirements when they have much better options on offer.

Not true. I applied to Warwick for a very competitive course and they even lowered the grade requirements for me! I would apply because you've still got 4 other options and it's always worth the shot.
Original post by PQ
An unachievable offer is worthless. In fact it’s worth less than a rejection.

As I said. If you’re not interested in listening to advice then don’t ask for it.

If it was unachievable then OP wouldn't apply in the first place. You have no idea what circumstances OP is facing.

Don't know why you're addressing me. I don't need your advice.

You do know that every single university gives out more offers than places available, as they know a lot of people aren't going to meet their offers, right? They also do this to try and get the most students on their courses as they can as not every student who applies to them will firm them so they have to spread themselves out. They also give out more offers than places for their admission statistics in general so they look good in their reports. The university wouldn't actually think you'd realistically meet an offer above their predicted grades (which is very rare to get in the first place), they'd just be using you as a statistic.

Original post by Junaid12
Not true. I applied to Warwick for a very competitive course and they even lowered the grade requirements for me! I would apply because you've still got 4 other options and it's always worth the shot.

How bad was the school you went to? Some universities lower their grade requirements if you have contextual factors like going to bad school. It's not a normal occurrence at all. Did you have any individual special circumstances that could have lead them to lower the grade requirements?
(edited 6 years ago)
You do know that every single university gives out more offers than places available, as they know a lot of people aren't going to meet their offer, right? They also do this to try and get the most students on their courses as they can as not every student who applies to them will firm them so they have to spread themselves out.

Thank you for pointing out the blooming obvious.

They also give out more offers than places for their admission statistics in general so they look in their reports. The university wouldn't actually think you'd realistically meet an offer above their predicted grades (which is very rare to get in the first place), they'd just be using you as a statistic.

This makes no sense whatsoever.
Thank you for pointing out the blooming obvious.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

Good luck getting into university when you can't deduce a post on TSR.
It's not a normal occurrence at all.

It's pretty normal actually. All of Bristol's courses do it.
It's pretty normal actually. All of Bristol's courses do it.

For what reasons?
You do know that every single university gives out more offers than places available, as they know a lot of people aren't going to meet their offers, right? They also do this to try and get the most students on their courses as they can as not every student who applies to them will firm them so they have to spread themselves out. They also give out more offers than places for their admission statistics in general so they look good in their reports. The university wouldn't actually think you'd realistically meet an offer above their predicted grades (which is very rare to get in the first place), they'd just be using you as a statistic.

How bad was the school you went to? Some universities lower their grade requirements if you have contextual factors like going to bad school. It's not a normal occurrence at all. Did you have any individual special circumstances that could have lead them to lower the grade requirements?

Ok, that is true. My school was terrible lol. Makes a lot of sense I didn't know universities even did that. Take back that bit of advice :smile:

I know that, well done. Clearly I was talking about it not being a normal occurrence of the required grades being lowered if you don't actually have any contextual factors, not that contextual offers with genuine contextual reasons aren't normal. Again, your comprehension and deduction skills need serious improvement if you can't understand posts on TSR.

And do you think that the teachers in the OPs school might have some understanding of the school’s relative exam performance and position in league tables?

WP schools are heavily targeted by universities. Teachers in those schools know that their students are likely to be eligible for contextual offers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending