The Student Room Group

Freedom at home...

How much freedom do you have at your age (please precise what age /age group).
I just want to know what you mean by freedom... What it actually is.

You can post anonymously if you wish :smile: xx

Scroll to see replies

17 and get a decent amount of freedom. Feel more free at home cos I get to be more myself. I have to come home before night and I'm not complaining about that. The only thing is that I can't like sleep over at a friends house which I'm not complaining about
Reply 2
Original post by Emerald777O
17 and get a decent amount of freedom. Feel more free at home cos I get to be more myself. I have to come home before night and I'm not complaining about that. The only thing is that I can't like sleep over at a friends house which I'm not complaining about

OK thankyou for answering! You have a lot of freedom I think.. It is good.
You are allowed to go out anytime in the day though, right?
Do you have access to your debit card?
Do you mind if I ask what your background is?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by LunaCat
OK thankyou for answering! You have a lot of freedom I think.. It is good.
You are allowed to go out anytime in the day though, right?
Do you have access to your debit card?
Do you mind if I ask what your background is?

I have to do chores a lot so not really. I came late once at home but I proved to my mum I was at the libary right near our house so if she wanted to 100% believe me then she can just come and see me sitting there smiling lol. I have access to my debit card. Somali :smile:
Reply 4
I have to do chores a lot so not really. I came late once at home but I proved to my mum I was at the libary right near our house so if she wanted to 100% believe me then she can just come and see me sitting there smiling lol. I have access to my debit card. Somali :smile:

Ah, she doesn't let you go out of it isn't for study?
(edited 5 years ago)

Freedom level: Can stay out as late as I want (as long as my reason is valid), bring in pals (male/female) as long as they behave and are well-mannered.
I'd say I got more than enough freedom to not feel any restrictions being imposed on me, even of there are, it is do-able for me.
Original post by LunaCat
Ah, she doesn't let you go out of it isn't for study?

Why can't my parents be like yours :frown:

I mean she does but I don't have many friends anyway so I'm cool with that😂 My mum doesn't allow me to sleep at other people's houses anymore (not even close family) because she feels shy about it or says we're "too big" for this. Basically everything that I'm not allowed to do isn't going to ruin in my life. I'll get a bit angry then nothing happens.

Freedom isn't the only thing.
Reply 7
Original post by JDieMstr

Freedom level: Can stay out as late as I want (as long as my reason is valid), bring in pals (male/female) as long as they behave and are well-mannered.
I'd say I got more than enough freedom to not feel any restrictions being imposed on me, even of there are, it is do-able for me.

That's alot already tbh :smile:

What is your background, if you are OK to answer?
Reply 8
I mean she does but I don't have many friends anyway so I'm cool with that😂 My mum doesn't allow me to sleep at other people's houses anymore (not even close family) because she feels shy about it or says we're "too big" for this. Basically everything that I'm not allowed to do isn't going to ruin in my life. I'll get a bit angry then nothing happens.

Freedom isn't the only thing.

Ah that is normal I think :smile:

NO freedom can make you feel mental though...I know it is not the only thing, but it is a very basic need, it is the start to every other happiness IMO.
Original post by LunaCat
That's alot already tbh :smile:

What is your background, if you are OK to answer?

Bangladeshi....that lil ting to the right of India.
Original post by JDieMstr
Bangladeshi....that lil ting to the right of India.

Ah OK, thankyou!
Original post by LunaCat
Ah that is normal I think :smile:

NO freedom can make you feel mental though...I know it is not the only thing, but it is a very basic need, it is the start to every other happiness IMO.

I get you tbh.
I get you tbh.

You don't.
I'm 18 and it's only when I turned 18 I got more freedom- can go out to town by myself, stay at home by myself when the fam goes out etc.
Obviously there's still quite a few stuff my mum doesn't like me doing such as going out late at night, clubbing etc
Original post by LunaCat
You don't.

Don't want to go into detail here but I get you about the parents thing. I may have average amount of freedom but there are other things that can drive me mental.
Don't want to go into detail here but I get you about the parents thing. I may have average amount of freedom but there are other things that can drive me mental.

How can you say what you have said in your previous posts and still tell me that that 'I get you about the parents thing'?
Original post by LunaCat
How can you say what you have said in your previous posts and still tell me that that 'I get you about the parents thing'?

Soz for not being clear. I don't get you on the freedom part but when you said "I wish your parents were like that" or something along those lines, I understand that. I get you on that. My parents have destroyed my mental health In other ways.
19, can stay out late, can stay over at friends houses and notify last minute, can smoke in my room, can bring back female friends, can go on holiday...

I think the only thing I can't do is bring home guys xD

but tbh the only reason i reached this level of freedom is by breaking all the rules first and then my mum decided she rather me just tell her what I'm gonna do e.g stay out until 2am to go clubbing and then take a taxi home than lie. And the more freedom I got, the less I used it :lol:
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm 20. I'm Chinese/English.

I have a lot of freedom in being able to go out wherever and whenever I like. Although my parents have told me that I'm allowed to make my own decisions, they do backtrack on that in the sense that if I want to do something like get a haircut they'll disagree strongly with the decision and express their utmost disappointment if I do. They also absolutely refuse the idea of getting facial piercings.

It's gotten to the point where I've pretty much thought, "Eh, **** it. It's my life." and I'm planning on getting a haircut regardless the disappointment :lol:
Soz for not being clear. I don't get you on the freedom part but when you said "I wish your parents were like that" or something along those lines, I understand that. I get you on that. My parents have destroyed my mental health In other ways.

How else? :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending