The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Anonymous
You do get free "bog roll" whenever you use public toilets, and there was outrage in the (primarily Tory) media a couple of years ago about the number of people getting toothpaste on the NHS. So individually: yes.

As someone's already mentioned, toilet roll isn't funded by the Government, but provided by the owner of the toilet. Council run toilets are increasingly becoming pay-to-pee, now, to offset the cost of maintaining them.

Original post by charlxxxx
hahahahah, but what has pain got to do with this? But oh yes, borderline sexist because i stated a fact that men do not have periods!!! God forbid i mention that!!! Thanks for that funny reply though, petal.

Calm down, snowflake. Men can have an opinion regardless of whether they experience it or not.
Original post by Kambu
ah okay...so because we are male we can't have an opinion ...yet you expect us to pay for your lady issues. Sounds fair. Pretty sure your just a troll at this point. :/

*you're
Reply 42
Pads and tampons should be tax free.
Original post by IWMTom
As someone's already mentioned, toilet roll isn't funded by the Government, but provided by the owner of the toilet. Council run toilets are increasingly becoming pay-to-pee, now, to offset the cost of maintaining them.

In my original post I didn't suggest that it had to be paid for by the government, it could be paid for by the schools and colleges. (That is, if the government gives them enough money to actually run properly, rather than cutting their funding...)
Original post by IWMTom
There isn't a "luxury tax" - there is VAT (at the lower rate, not the standard!).

Sorry, I'm not terribly good with tax and all that. I guess one of my demands has already been met.
Basically, I believe sanitary products should be put under whatever category other essential items are. If that's already being done then great.
Original post by Kambu
ah okay...so because we are male we can't have an opinion ...yet you expect us to pay for your lady issues. Sounds fair. Pretty sure your just a troll at this point. :/

hahahahaha sorry i totally forgot that men are the only ones that pay taxes!!!! Your opinion doesn't matter because you think tampons and pads aren't essential!!!! Strange opinion to have, that.
Calm down, snowflake. Men can have an opinion regardless of whether they experience it or not.

Oh hunnybun, my mistake saying you can't have an opinion. Its just that some of you have no idea and therefore sound silly when stating your opinion, such as 'tampons and pads are not essential'
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 47
Yeah, so long as toothpaste, toilet paper and soap become free too.
I didn't suggest that it had to be paid for by the government
it could be paid for by the schools and colleges.
if the government gives them enough money...

Did you really just contradict yourself that obviously?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 49
In my original post I didn't suggest that it had to be paid for by the government, it could be paid for by the schools and colleges. (That is, if the government gives them enough money to actually run properly, rather than cutting their funding...)

That's.. that's still being funded by the taxpayer...
Original post by Kindred
Sorry, I'm not terribly good with tax and all that. I guess one of my demands has already been met.
Basically, I believe sanitary products should be put under whatever category other essential items are. If that's already being done then great.

The current issue is EU legislation doesn't allow the TAX to be lowered to less than 5%, which is the current rate. After Brexit it'll be down to our government to decide.
Original post by Kambu
The feminine products available today have only been around since about WWI, women have done without them for thousands of years. Wouldn't say the're essential whatsoever.

People who don't want blood on their bus seat. People made do without a lot of things in the past, it doesn't make them non-essential by modern standards. Think toilet roll, condoms, nappies, healthcare, clean water, sewer systems, roads, houses blah blah blah.
Besides, they did use sanitary products in the past. Even Ancient Egyptians had their own type of tampon.

I realise sanitary products may not seem essential, but without them every bodies lives would be a whole lot bloodier and less hygienic.
Reply 52

Oh hunnybun, my mistake saying you can't have an opinion. Its just that some of you have no idea and therefore sound silly when stating your opinion, such as 'tampons and pads are not essential'

I've not once said they're not essential? I said they shouldn't be paid for by the taxpayer.. perhaps focus on your comprehension skills before fighting for "women's rights".
Original post by IWMTom
That's.. that's still being funded by the taxpayer...

So?
Original post by MartinF98
No I don't think tampons should be free. I'm not asking for free toilet paper either. If you want a tampon, pay for it. Don't make the taxpayer pay for it.

But women have to deal with buying both toilet paper and pads/tampons while y’all dudes are here just complaining about toilet paper. Also good pads/ tampons are expensive, so it would only be fair to have everyone buy toilet paper, but those with periods (women) to get free tampons or pads.
Reply 55
Original post by anonymous
at sixth form we get people coming in once every two weeks, giving out free condoms. This got me thinking about how, although sex is a choice colleges (and the government) are willing to aid it, but periods aren't a choice and it costs 50p to buy a pad or tampon in the toilets at college.
Do you agree? Am i overreacting?
I'd love to hear your thoughts!

yes! We need a feminist to run our country not a old donkey!!
Reply 56
So?

You stated you thought that schools and colleges should fund it, not the government, but all schools and colleges (with the exception of private institutions) are funded by the government, and therefore the taxpayer...

See the problem???
There's a very good reason condoms are free, it's not to encourage people to have sex lol.

Results of people not being able to afford condoms (and having unprotected sex anyway):
Teen/single mothers or STD transmission, both of which cost absolutely loads in the form of benefits/medical treatment

Results of people not being able to afford tampons:
Blood in your knickers
Original post by Pigster
Did you really just contradict yourself that obviously?

Apparently so, I was referring to the separate issue of the lack of funding in education, which if resolved would leave the schools and colleges with enough money to do that. I am aware of my contradictory statements there, yes.
therefore sound silly when stating your opinion, such as 'tampons and pads are not essential'

Are you sure you know what the word "essential" means?

What, actually would happen if you were denied access sanitary towels and tampons?

Latest

Trending

Trending