The Student Room Group

overbite making me depressed

I'm 16 and my dentist has told me I have overbite as a result of me sucking my thumb when I was younger.

it makes me really depressed. I always avoid getting photos taken and i keep my my mouth shut when around people so that they can't see my awful teeth which is making me really self conscious.

My dentist said I'll probably need braces but I've read about jaw surgery. I'm really depressed over this and id rather get surgery so that it's over and done with.

I also have a narrow smile so if I got jaw surgery for over bite would they be able to widen it too?

Is it done under General anaesthetic? how long does it take?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 16 and my dentist has told me I have overbite as a result of me sucking my thumb when I was younger.

it makes me really depressed. I always avoid getting photos taken and i keep my my mouth shut when around people so that they can't see my awful teeth which is making me really self conscious.

My dentist said I'll probably need braces but I've read about jaw surgery. I'm really depressed over this and id rather get surgery so that it's over and done with.

I also have a narrow smile so if I got jaw surgery for over bite would they be able to widen it too?

Is it done under General anaesthetic? how long does it take?

I wouldn’t go through surgery, just get braces for a while and your teeth will be perfect after.
I got my braces at 16 and had them off at 17, definitely worth it
Reply 2
Original post by Daniel100499
I wouldn’t go through surgery, just get braces for a while and your teeth will be perfect after.
I got my braces at 16 and had them off at 17, definitely worth it

Would braces deffo do the job? my upper jaw stick way too far out so would they push it back?
Would braces deffo do the job? my upper jaw stick way too far out so would they push it back?

Yeah I had an overbite aswell, the braces will reduce it and hopefully get rid of it completely.
Anyway the dentist will know a lot more than me, book an appointment and ask if he recommends it
Reply 4
Original post by Daniel100499
Yeah I had an overbite aswell, the braces will reduce it and hopefully get rid of it completely.
Anyway the dentist will know a lot more than me, book an appointment and ask if he recommends it

ah right okay. By any chance was your smile narrow? If so did the braces widen it?

Yes some people have the wonkiest teeth on this planet and when they get braces it genuinely does work. I've had them myself
ah right okay. By any chance was your smile narrow? If so did the braces widen it?

Not that I can remember 🤔 but braces should fix that too, there are many types of teeth straightening techniques so I’m sure that can be fixed aswell

Quick Reply

Latest