The Student Room Group

stammering!!!! :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by smartass789
Hey, I remember watching this series of high school kids where there was one boy who used to stammer when he spoke. He then listened to a certain type of music whilst reading something and he didn't stammer anymore. Forget the name of the series, it was on for a little while but I reckon this could help as it wasn't a series where it was scripted.

I saw this too. I don't think it particularly matters what kind of music you listen to, but while speaking in public, music does seem to change the way the brain thinks about producing sounds. Another fantastic case study is Gareth Gates. You guys might be too young to remember him, but he was on Pop Idol years ago and had a pretty severe stammer but could sing amazingly well without any sort of stammer. He got a lot better over the years thanks to the McGuire Programme.
Compare:

with

Original post by M.A.T
x
Reply 21
Original post by Manitude
I saw this too. I don't think it particularly matters what kind of music you listen to, but while speaking in public, music does seem to change the way the brain thinks about producing sounds. Another fantastic case study is Gareth Gates. You guys might be too young to remember him, but he was on Pop Idol years ago and had a pretty severe stammer but could sing amazingly well without any sort of stammer. He got a lot better over the years thanks to the McGuire Programme.
Compare:

with

omg!
the improvement and his confidence is outstanding!
i'll try to use the techniques he's using to get the words out in my speech!
:biggrin:
thank you!
Original post by M.A.T
did they overcome it? (to an extent)...

Yes they did (both as adults, too). One guy used to have to do phone calls in his first job and he says he would struggle to get any words out, and some people were really mean to him. He'd go home every day in tears. But now he barely stammers at all, just struggles over the occasional word if he gets stressed, and he absolutely sings the Stammer Trust's praises for all the help that they've given him.

The other lady I honestly wouldn't have known she had a stammer if she hadn't told me.
Reply 23
That really is amazing. Try reading this response I'm typing now in your head (which I assume you're doing anyway) and remember it. Once you've fully remembered it, try saying it fast, then progressively get slower. Doesn't have to be my response, but say a phrase such as "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog".

yup!
see when im talking to myself,
i dont stammer,
so when i say the phrase to my self, i never stammer....
but if i say it to anyone else, then i probably will stammer.
Reply 24
Original post by Crumpet1
Yes they did (both as adults, too). One guy used to have to do phone calls in his first job and he says he would struggle to get any words out, and some people were really mean to him. He'd go home every day in tears. But now he barely stammers at all, just struggles over the occasional word if he gets stressed, and he absolutely sings the Stammer Trust's praises for all the help that they've given him.

The other lady I honestly wouldn't have known she had a stammer if she hadn't told me.

woah!
i'll try the program!
thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by M.A.T
yup!
see when im talking to myself,
i dont stammer,
so when i say the phrase to my self, i never stammer....
but if i say it to anyone else, then i probably will stammer.

Do you think it's because you're nervous? But then if that were the case, you probably wouldn't stammer in front your friends/family. Have you tried talking loudly to yourself in front of a mirror?
Reply 26
Do you think it's because you're nervous? But then if that were the case, you probably wouldn't stammer in front your friends/family. Have you tried talking loudly to yourself in front of a mirror?

well
i dont 'really' stammer in front of my friends and family
i mean like, i do, but really less.
most of my friends don't even know i have stammer! :biggrin:
Try casually singing things, you don’t stutter when you sing, it’s strange but give it a go
Hello M.A.T.You can overcome your Stammering problem. There is a person in Bangalore, India Mr. Partha Bagchi who himself was a Stammerer. He developed his own techniques and overcame his Stammering. Now he is curing people who have Stammering.Check out his website stammeringcurecentre
Reply 29
Original post by R.i.j.u.
Hello M.A.T.You can overcome your Stammering problem. There is a person in Bangalore, India Mr. Partha Bagchi who himself was a Stammerer. He developed his own techniques and overcame his Stammering. Now he is curing people who have Stammering.Check out his website stammeringcurecentre

thank you!!!
i will check it out!
:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending