The Student Room Group

NSAA thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by 123123412343
And when do they start sending out invites for interviews?

Usually a couple of weeks or so before the interview.
Reply 21
Original post by Franki108
Ive just realised I numbered the questions wrong at the front of the paper, I wrote 1&3 instead of p1 and c1. Is this a major issue do you think?

I didnt even know we had to number the questions....
Had more than enough time but made a few annoying mistakes. I would say which sections I found hard but I don't think that's allowed.
Original post by Luckykymeo
I finished just in time but the more I think about it, the more I regret doing both questions on the same subject in section 2. I don't know if the admission tutor may find it weird I went on and on about bio in PS and didn't even attempt 1 bio question ...

Oh yeah my personal statement is 100% physics but I didn't do the physics extended response questions XD.
Reply 24
Original post by black1blade
Had more than enough time but made a few annoying mistakes. I would say which sections I found hard but I don't think that's allowed.

That's fine. Just not specific questions.
Oh okay yeah there was about 5 in maths I had no idea on, a few in chemistry and p much none in physics although I probably made a couple mistakes. The chemistry extended questions were fine but I made a couple numerical errors which is annoying. So yeah based on last year's boundaries, probably 4-5 in maths, 6-8 in chem and 7-9 to physics probably and probably about 50-65% in section 2.
Did anyone else find the overall difficulty of the paper to be easier than last year? It seems that the questions were more straightforward. Was this done intentionally? Is it because last year's test was a little bit too difficult?
Hey guys, is there a facebook group going around for NSAA applicants? Would anyone like to start one?
Original post by Daryl Ryan
Did anyone else find the overall difficulty of the paper to be easier than last year? It seems that the questions were more straightforward. Was this done intentionally? Is it because last year's test was a little bit too difficult?

lol can't say that I agree with you there, m8.

Yeah I agree actually. Well the section 2 was a bit of a mixed bag for difficulty as I thought some of the questions were harder.
This will be me next year... Ahhh... Won't crash your thread to ask for advice.

Hope it went well for everyone on here, don't worry about it now. It's done.
Oh okay yeah there was about 5 in maths I had no idea on, a few in chemistry and p much none in physics although I probably made a couple mistakes. The chemistry extended questions were fine but I made a couple numerical errors which is annoying. So yeah based on last year's boundaries, probably 4-5 in maths, 6-8 in chem and 7-9 to physics probably and probably about 50-65% in section 2.

Would you mind explaining to me how section 1 is marked? I thought it would just be a score out of 54
Yeah I agree actually. Well the section 2 was a bit of a mixed bag for difficulty as I thought some of the questions were harder.

I liked section 2 more but I can't say that it was easy.
Reply 33
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
I liked section 2 more but I can't say that it was easy.

I think one or two questions were easy others were hard
Section 2 definitely was easier to me compared to Section 1. I can't even recall any questions that were particularly hard, just the general feeling that Section 1 was more of a struggle for sure
Original post by MathsMonster
Would you mind explaining to me how section 1 is marked? I thought it would just be a score out of 54

Each section is marked out of 18 and then it is correlated to a score out of 9.0. This is quite similar to how ums marks are allocated so depending how hard people found various sections, the mark that corresponds to a particular score will be higher or lower.

Last years paper was so so much more straightforward than this one. I found both sections 1 and 2 in the 2016 paper really easy to do, but this one was so bad.
Original post by AvogadrosAvocado
Last years paper was so so much more straightforward than this one. I found both sections 1 and 2 in the 2016 paper really easy to do, but this one was so bad.

I don't know how well I did in the 2017 paper obviously but deffo did better than 2016 (well about the same in the maths section but yeah).
Reply 38
The first section went okay but I ran out of time as per usual. Section 2 however was just awful. There were more calculations than last year and they gated loads of marks behind other calculation questions. I was genuinely unable to answer 3/4 of the questions on part 2. Looks like I'm probs not getting an interview now lol.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jooms
The first section went okay but I ran out of time as per usual. Section 2 however was just awful. There were more calculations than last year and they gated loads of marks behind other calculation questions. I was genuinely unable to answer 3/4 of the questions on part 2. Looks like I'm probs not getting an interview now lol.

Don't say that, a 4.0 for last year's NSAA was only 6 or 7 marks on section 2 :smile: Although of course it does vary year to year so take what I say with a pinch of salt
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending