The Student Room Group

Dislike my course

I'm in my 2nd year doing a computer science degree but I'm starting to realise that I don't really like computer science at all. When I applied I loved programming, it was something I did everyday for fun but now I really don't like it. I don't want a career where I'll be sitting infront of a computer all day writing code and not interacting with people. I've found that days where I spend most of my hours programming make me awkward around people and I have noticed this trait in my peers as well. E.g. the stereotype.

My day consists of waking up, eating breakfast, going to a couple of lectures then going to the library to catch up with coursework then going to sleep at 2am. Repeat, repeat everyday for 3 months. Its not that im socially awkward, its just that I'm not smart enough for this course and all this studying is making me into a recluse. I have to mentally grapple with the math for hours to remotely understand it and even then I still do really bad on the math exams.

There's no support. Tutors are unfriendly and unhelpful. They try to get rid of me as quick as possible when I ask for help at the end of the tutorial. I don't have any friends to ask for help because I never had time to bond with people since I'm always studying.

I'm thinking of dropping out, going back home and getting a job in retail for a year. Reapplying for a different course at a different uni so I won't be miserable for the rest of my life working towards a career that isn't suited for me.

The only problem is student finance. I believe I'm entitled to a grace year. The degree I'm doing right now is 4 years long. I completed 1 year. I'm halfway through the first semester of the second year. The degrees I'm considering are 3 years long. I'll be in more debt but atleast I won't be depressed doing something I don't like.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm in my 2nd year doing a computer science degree but I'm starting to realise that I don't really like computer science at all. When I applied I loved programming, it was something I did everyday for fun but now I really don't like it. I don't want a career where I'll be sitting infront of a computer all day writing code and not interacting with people. I've found that days where I spend most of my hours programming make me awkward around people and I have noticed this trait in my peers as well. E.g. the stereotype.

My day consists of waking up, eating breakfast, going to a couple of lectures then going to the library to catch up with coursework then going to sleep at 2am. Repeat, repeat everyday for 3 months. Its not that im socially awkward, its just that I'm not smart enough for this course and all this studying is making me into a recluse. I have to mentally grapple with the math for hours to remotely understand it and even then I still do really bad on the math exams.

There's no support. Tutors are unfriendly and unhelpful. They try to get rid of me as quick as possible when I ask for help at the end of the tutorial. I don't have any friends to ask for help because I never had time to bond with people since I'm always studying.

I'm thinking of dropping out, going back home and getting a job in retail for a year. Reapplying for a different course at a different uni so I won't be miserable for the rest of my life working towards a career that isn't suited for me.

The only problem is student finance. I believe I'm entitled to a grace year. The degree I'm doing right now is 4 years long. I completed 1 year. I'm halfway through the first semester of the second year. The degrees I'm considering are 3 years long. I'll be in more debt but atleast I won't be depressed doing something I don't like.

If you just leave and want to get student finance for a fresh new degree, then you will have to find year 1 fees yourself i.e £9250.

If you leave and use mental health reasons plus have medical evidence, then you can try for a compelling personal reasons claim, whereby this years funding may be disregarded.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
If you just leave and want to get student finance for a fresh new degree, then you will have to find year 1 fees yourself i.e £9250.

If you leave and use mental health reasons plus have medical evidence, then you can try for a compelling personal reasons claim, whereby this years funding may be disregarded.

I thought you get an extra year of funding. im on a 4 year degree so i should get 5 years
I thought you get an extra year of funding. im on a 4 year degree so i should get 5 years

Its degree length +1.

By the time you leave you will be at degree length -1

You should have ditched it at the end of year 1.

It doesnt crystalise in the way you suggested
Reply 4
Its degree length +1.

By the time you leave you will be at degree length -1

You should have ditched it at the end of year 1.

It doesnt crystalise in the way you suggested

I guess my only option would be to transfer to another university that has a less theory based course.
I guess my only option would be to transfer to another university that has a less theory based course.

Or you could do what I suggested.
Reply 6
Or you could do what I suggested.

How would that work? Do I see a psychologist and get diagnosed with depression?
How would that work? Do I see a psychologist and get diagnosed with depression?

GP will do. Get evidence and do it over a period, then you can apply for CPR as though that was the reason you left.
You can't just make up depression just to get out of paying for your degree. If you don't have any genuine problem, I would suggest getting a jov to raise the money or transferring to a suitable and available course.
Reply 9
GP will do. Get evidence and do it over a period, then you can apply for CPR as though that was the reason you left.

But there's no certainty that I'll get another set of funding even if I do get evidence from my GP right? If I get evidence, drop out and reapply next year but can't get funding my chance at a university education is gone. I got very good grades last year but this year is becoming a downward spiral.
You can't just make up depression just to get out of paying for your degree. If you don't have any genuine problem, I would suggest getting a jov to raise the money or transferring to a suitable and available course.

But I do have symptoms of depression so I wouldn't be making it up.
But there's no certainty that I'll get another set of funding even if I do get evidence from my GP right? If I get evidence, drop out and reapply next year but can't get funding my chance at a university education is gone. I got very good grades last year but this year is becoming a downward spiral.

TBF you are the one that talked about leaving and starting again.
No.
It always remains you can rejoin the 2nd year of your current course or even at a different uni if they accept your first year credits or alternatively find the money to pay your own fees.

Why not go and see a student advisor in the SU and then you can talk it over fully with them.
Sorry if this is a stupid question but surely transferring uni to do computer science just at a different uni wont sort the problem if you dont like computer science?

Go to your gp and see what their opinion is on the depression thing, lots of people think they have depression but actually dont, it is a difficult thing to spot sometimes
Original post by madmadmax321
Sorry if this is a stupid question but surely transferring uni to do computer science just at a different uni wont sort the problem if you dont like computer science?

Go to your gp and see what their opinion is on the depression thing, lots of people think they have depression but actually dont, it is a difficult thing to spot sometimes

Thinking things through with a clearer state of mind I think I was overreacting. I don't hate computer science per se, I just don't like sitting on a computer all day with little interaction with people. Maybe I should change my study habits, i.e. find a study group and use physical books and paper instead of a computer for studying.
your lucky you have identified this early

drop out now and do something else

I picked the wrong A levels.
then I picked the wrong degree and dropped out in year 1.
then I picked computer science and realised I didn't like it either.
Original post by study beats
your lucky you have identified this early

drop out now and do something else

I picked the wrong A levels.
then I picked the wrong degree and dropped out in year 1.
then I picked computer science and realised I didn't like it either.

The op cant just drop out, they have used 2 years of funding
Original post by madmadmax321
The op cant just drop out, they have used 2 years of funding

he said his only done year 1 ..and he just started his second year

and has used some of this years sfe and they class that having used 2 years worth now
What Uni do you go to?

If he has used any part of a years finance then that counts as a years worth of entitlement for funding purposes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending