The Student Room Group

Help on situation

Hi

I’m currently studying a masters, I’m in the first term and the masters isn’t what I thought it would be and so I’m thinking or quitting.
My question is if I quit how will that affect my postgraduate loan, will the amount be added to my student debt or will I have to pay it back straight away?
Will I be able to access the rest of the loan for another masters or will that be it?
Original post by Jownzii
Hi

I’m currently studying a masters, I’m in the first term and the masters isn’t what I thought it would be and so I’m thinking or quitting.
My question is if I quit how will that affect my postgraduate loan, will the amount be added to my student debt or will I have to pay it back straight away?
Will I be able to access the rest of the loan for another masters or will that be it?

Hi Jownzii,

Students can transfer between eligible postgraduate master's courses and remain eligible for PGL. This rule applies when the student either transfers:

to a different course at the same HE provider or

to a different course at a different HE provider

If you withdraw from the course then we will not fund you for another masters course, unless this was due to compelling personal reasons.

Any outstanding amount will be added to your balance.

Thanks

Catherine
Reply 2
Hi Catherine,

If I had to defer to the intake to September 2018 for a different course at a different HE provider, would I still be eligible for PGL?

Best regards,
Jownzii
Original post by Jownzii
Hi Catherine,

If I had to defer to the intake to September 2018 for a different course at a different HE provider, would I still be eligible for PGL?

Best regards,
Jownzii

Hi Jownzii,

If you resumed on the same course at the same University then your funding would not be affected, but if your changing course and university for you to receive the remaining funds you will need to provide Compelling Personal Reason evidence.

Thanks

Catherine
Reply 4
Hi Catherine,

What would Compelling Personal Reason Evidence entail?

Best regards,
Jownzii
Original post by Jownzii
Hi Catherine,

What would Compelling Personal Reason Evidence entail?

Best regards,
Jownzii

Hi Jownzii,

Where applicable, we recommend the evidence -

is signed and dated;

confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies; and

when this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper

Letter from HEP on headed paper

Letter from Social Services on headed paper

Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper

Death Certificate and/or

A Birth Certificate

Thanks

Catherine
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Thank you Catherine, you’ve been incredibly helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending