The Student Room Group

Which University? UEA, Anglia Ruskin, Uni of Essex?

So, I have an offer of AAB for history at UEA, and also for history with a foundation year for CCC at the same university. I have my heart set on UEA and Norwich in general, which is why I applied to both courses just in case things go really badly next year. However, Anglia Ruskin gave me an unconditional offer which I'm seriously considering... but I must admit that I'm only very slightly deterred away from UEA. I have an interview/applicant day at University of Essex on November 29th, after which I'm assuming I'll also get an offer there.
My questions:
1) Is Anglia Ruskin a good university? Good for studying history?
2) How is University of Essex for studying history?
3) How do both of these compare to UEA?
4) Should I accept UEA's offer as soon as I have all of my decisions in, or wait until I've been to all the applicant days, just to give the other universities a chance?
Original post by anoelle
So, I have an offer of AAB for history at UEA, and also for history with a foundation year for CCC at the same university. I have my heart set on UEA and Norwich in general, which is why I applied to both courses just in case things go really badly next year. However, Anglia Ruskin gave me an unconditional offer which I'm seriously considering... but I must admit that I'm only very slightly deterred away from UEA. I have an interview/applicant day at University of Essex on November 29th, after which I'm assuming I'll also get an offer there.
My questions:
4) Should I accept UEA's offer as soon as I have all of my decisions in, or wait until I've been to all the applicant days, just to give the other universities a chance?

I dont know much about those universities, but i would wait to go to the applicant days so you know you're definitely making the right decision.
Original post by anoelle
My questions:

Wait. Wait. Wait some more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by anoelle
wait until I've been to all the applicant days, just to give the other universities a chance?

You have until May to decide. There. Is. No. Rush.

And no advantage in deciding early.
UEA is honestly the bests university out of them all (and arguable one of the best in uk), it has a great environment, including sport-park where you can do literally any sport you like, there’s the LCR which is a nightclub on campus (how amazing!) accommodation is also awesome (one of the best in uk, especially the zigorates).

Norwich is an amazing place to live (coming from someone who lived their whole life in Norwich) there’s lots and lots of activities to do, it is one of the best places in uk to go shopping, has awesome nightclubs, cafes and bars.

Anglia Ruskin is giving you unconditional because it doesn’t have enough students as it has one of the worst reputations of all universities in uk, I would really consider spending £9k+ a year to study there. also Cambridge is not a very vibrant place to live either!

I don’t know much about Essex uni but I know that it is similar to uea, I would not recommend anglia Ruskin.

Hope this helps, anymore questions just message me!
How dare you compare UEA to below average uni's like Anglia Ruski and Essex? UEA is to be compared to the Bristol's, Baths, Loughborough's of the world.
Reply 6
Calm down. I'm willing to give others a chance, and unlike most people, I don't rely on reputation alone - but experience. I'm not comparing, nowhere did I say that. I just simply asked how THEY compare to UEA. Read things first?
Reply 7
Original post by Iscodisco
How dare you compare UEA to below average uni's like Anglia Ruski and Essex? UEA is to be compared to the Bristol's, Baths, Loughborough's of the world.

For some reason I can't help but laugh. You really do take the UEA vs Essex rivalry seriously, don't you? :rofl:

Original post by anoelle
Calm down. I'm willing to give others a chance, and unlike most people, I don't rely on reputation alone - but experience. I'm not comparing, nowhere did I say that. I just simply asked how THEY compare to UEA. Read things first?

I went to Essex and I loved it, university is what you make of it after all.

The lecturers were good, knew their stuff and didn't make things boring. They explained things really well when I didn't understand things too, and offered extra contact time when needed, especially in the optional modules that were outside my course. During my final year I had a difficult time due to personal issues and whilst I was already known to student support because of being disabled, the support staff were excellent in supporting me through my final year. Even ended up with a first in my degree overall.

Whilst I wasn't one to regularly go out to bars or clubs (e.g. Sub Zero, Top Bar, I did frequent the SU Bar though, mainly because Starbucks :ninja: ), there's pretty much always something going on and it had a pretty homey atmosphere because it's a campus university so everything is in one spot. There's also a cinema in the Colchester campus among other things. Having said all that, some of the areas offsite are a bit shady, but that's the case with a lot of universities so. :dontknow: And yeah, the Tesco trek is awful but usually that just means there are trolleys on campus which people mess around with (this happens a lot, have a lot of funny memories ha).

I do have to say I didn't study history so have no personal experience of it, I studied psychology.

I hope this helps. :h:
Original post by anoelle
My questions:

Go for the one you want (UEA) , there are obviously reasons why they can give out unconditionals (probably due to not being too good...).
Original post by anoelle
My questions:

UEA and Essex are regarded as much better universities than Anglia Ruskin. Perhaps UEA is a bit higher up the rankings than Essex but not worlds apart. I did some History modules at UEA as part of my degree and came across the best lecturer I had leading two of them. Do wait though until you've been to the universities before making your final decisions.
Original post by anoelle
My questions:

Hi Anoelle,

I'm Ellie and I'm a university of Essex student. I can't say much about UEA, but I would say wait for your interview/applicant day at the University of Essex as it may surprise you with what it has to offer! When I went to an open day at the University I was really surprised by all of the different opportunities that it has for students.

In my first year I did an optional history module and really enjoyed it. the lecturers were very informative, but made the information easy to understand, which was very useful for me as I study Sociology!

I would definitely just say wait for all of your decisions, as you may not know what you're missing out on until you consider all of the different options that you have.

Hope this helps!

Ellie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending