The Student Room Group

Teenage only holiday destinations?

Hi,

In the summer me and 2 other friends want to go on a girls holiday. We will all be 17 years old but we are very sensible:wink:!!

We don’t want anywhere like magaluf or ibiza that is too “clubby” because I think we are quite young for that.

We want a cheap place that has a mixture of bars and clubs but is also safe. Anyone got any suggestions or advice?

Thank you!! xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
new york xx
that would be the dream!! but need something cheap and also in europe, forgot that bit of info!!! one day though :wink: xx
Reply 3
Isn't 17 a bit young? Not to be rude or anything aha
I'd say wait until you're 18, a whole load of other options will be open to you. My friends and I are planning a trip to Amsterdam this Summer to celebrate the end of A Levels!
At this point though, maybe a nearby seaside town?
Original post by TheFame
Isn't 17 a bit young? Not to be rude or anything aha
I'd say wait until you're 18, a whole load of other options will be open to you. My friends and I are planning a trip to Amsterdam this Summer to celebrate the end of A Levels!
At this point though, maybe a nearby seaside town?

We have deliberated over how old we should be but other people have said on here that 17 is a good age and other people we know went last year when they were just 16! I think we are quite mature for our age (and are actually quite boring!!) so im confident that we’ll stay safe!! thank you though x
Have you thought of travelling around? Like, plan a route to go before you go and do like a day at one place, seeing all the sights and going drinking. Then move onto the next and do the same, try a different activity each day. Sounds fun.

If it were me I would do it in England somewhere since I have not travelled outside of the country and small steps are best for me.
Reply 6
If you want cheap eastern europe and the med are the way to go.
Macedonia is quite fun.
Reply 7
Original post by Reginafalange100
We have deliberated over how old we should be but other people have said on here that 17 is a good age and other people we know went last year when they were just 16! I think we are quite mature for our age (and are actually quite boring!!) so im confident that we’ll stay safe!! thank you though x

I get that you're all mature - my friends and I are the same - but you can't be too certain you'll be prepared to deal with difficult situations abroad. Perhaps look into cities with a decent English speaking population? That way you won't be totally stuck if something goes wrong and you don't speak the local language. I know you can't expect everyone to cater to our language, but there are definitely certain cities that are better for it than others. For example: Parisians are stereotyped as being kind of arsey when you speak French badly or try and speak English. Also Paris is kind of expensive anyway. But you get my point...
Original post by TheFame
I get that you're all mature - my friends and I are the same - but you can't be too certain you'll be prepared to deal with difficult situations abroad. Perhaps look into cities with a decent English speaking population? That way you won't be totally stuck if something goes wrong and you don't speak the local language. I know you can't expect everyone to cater to our language, but there are definitely certain cities that are better for it than others. For example: Parisians are stereotyped as being kind of arsey when you speak French badly or try and speak English. Also Paris is kind of expensive anyway. But you get my point...

Yeah i 100% agree, we have been also looking at places that we have visited before so it is familiar. But will defo take ur advice on board (if u pardon the pun weheyyyy)
Original post by TheFame

If they grow one year older will they instantly be prepared? It really depends on the people. :tongue:
Original post by monkeyman0121
If they grow one year older will they instantly be prepared? It really depends on the people. :tongue:

I was thinking more along the lines of being a legal adult, but I get your point haha... Plus doors for more activities open when you're an adult, even if OP said they weren't interested in it. If OP feels ready to go on holiday alone, then they should go for it! From personal experience, I didn't feel ready to go on holiday alone until I turned 18
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TheFame
I was thinking more along the lines of being a legal adult, but I get your point haha... If OP feels ready to go on holiday alone, then they should go for it! From personal experience, I didn't feel ready to go on holiday alone until I turned 18

I guess people may feel more ready when they turn 18 since more people would think they are ready. I know there are limitations on people under 18 but it really depends on what they do in the holiday.
I guess people may feel more ready when they turn 18 since more people would think they are ready. I know there are limitations on people under 18 but it really depends on what they do in the holiday.

yea i get where you’re both coming from! Its a really awkward age!! but as i said we’re not looking for a holiday to club every night until 7am, dont get me wrong we’ll want to go out but we’re not only going for nightlife, we just want a bit of sun and change of scenery, nothing too wild x
I'll be 18 in summer and hoping to go on holiday with my friends and have done quite a bit of research so far so can recommend a few places that look nice- most are beach holidays though idk if that's what you're after but:

Croatia
Fuerteventura (Canary Island)
Lanzarotte
Ayia Napa (quite party-orientated though so maybe not what you're after)

I've also been to Falaraki, Greece before with my family which is very lively but also not completely party-orientated. I'd defo go back with my friends though.

City-wise I'd say Rome, Amsterdam, Copenhagen- make sure you'll have no problem being served alcohol if that's what you're planning on though I think most places are less strict than the UK, we were welcomed into a club with free shots when we were on a school trip in Rome at 17yrs old lmao (we were separate from the teachers at the time haha)

Also recommend booking a package holiday through Jet2 rather than accommodation, travel and transfers separately because it always seems to work out much cheaper, especially if you're 17 and cba with the responsibility like me lol

But wherever you go have fun!!
yea i get where you’re both coming from! Its a really awkward age!! but as i said we’re not looking for a holiday to club every night until 7am, dont get me wrong we’ll want to go out but we’re not only going for nightlife, we just want a bit of sun and change of scenery, nothing too wild x

Then it's fine as long as you are careful. (I would be careful even if I was 30 or something, just saying, not because of your age. :tongue:)
Reply 15
It might be a problem if you do want to stay in hotels etc as they usually are quite picky if you are not 18.

Original post by Niltiac229
I'll be 18 in summer and hoping to go on holiday with my friends and have done quite a bit of research so far so can recommend a few places that look nice- most are beach holidays though idk if that's what you're after but:

Croatia
Fuerteventura (Canary Island)
Lanzarotte
Ayia Napa (quite party-orientated though so maybe not what you're after)

I've also been to Falaraki, Greece before with my family which is very lively but also not completely party-orientated. I'd defo go back with my friends though.

City-wise I'd say Rome, Amsterdam, Copenhagen- make sure you'll have no problem being served alcohol if that's what you're planning on though I think most places are less strict than the UK, we were welcomed into a club with free shots when we were on a school trip in Rome at 17yrs old lmao (we were separate from the teachers at the time haha)

Also recommend booking a package holiday through Jet2 rather than accommodation, travel and transfers separately because it always seems to work out much cheaper, especially if you're 17 and cba with the responsibility like me lol

But wherever you go have fun!!

This is SO HELPFUL thank you so much!! defo will go with the package holiday route bc theres too much to think about to book separately😂 thanks so much though will 100% look into these places!!! x
This is SO HELPFUL thank you so much!! defo will go with the package holiday route bc theres too much to think about to book separately😂 thanks so much though will 100% look into these places!!! x

No problem!! Another thing which is kind of stating the obvious is to make sure you check TripAdvisor before choosing a hotel- you might find people have really good things to say about the really cheap places that you might've dismissed for looking really basic or vice versa, people may have complained about a more expensive place being awful. Feel like that's just such a basic thing to say but it's so important to remember that (to a certain extent) the quality of a hotel isn't always reflected in how much it costs!x
The park lol

Quick Reply

Latest