The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 41
Original post by Hrolfr
Hello, I will be 18 in a couple of days and live in France. I was raised in Northumberland, quite close to Newcastle, but we moved to Brittany (Bretagne/Breizh in French/Breton) just about 5 years ago and haven't looked back. It's a great place and I probably want to continue to live in France as a working adult, but I'm almost certain that I'd like to attend university in the UK as the French university system is very odd and although I speak French, it's easier for me to do more complex things in English.

I have a Caniche Royal, a full sized poodle, he's groomed in a very practical way and people don't think he's a poodle because they expect poodles to look ridiculous. He's extremely well trained dog, because he's a poodle he doesn't aggravate allergies, and he and I go everywhere together. He could be classified as an emotional support dog because we got him for me on recommendation from the psychologist for my depression nearly 3 years ago, but he isn't on the registry in the UK because I don't live in Britain and he's only been a few times. Anywhere that I move to, he's coming with me, so it's important that whatever university that I attend is dog friendly altogether, not just in halls but especially in halls. If I have my own room that I can lock, he can be left alone for up to 90 minute intervals whilst I go to a lecture but any more and he'll become bored, and if the room is shared I have to take him with me because the only others that I trust to be alone with him are my parents and siblings, he could easily be stolen or abused in someone else's care and I won't allow that to happen.

I can live with my grandad or in the flat under my brother and sister in law's house if I study in Colchester or Edinburgh respectively, and my parents said that they can give me £100-£150 per week for housing if I need to get a flat but I don't know if single flats exist at that price and a share means trusting a stranger to be alone with my dog, and being expected to put the needs of someone that I don't know or care about over the needs of that which I love most. If I can take my dog to class if he's registered as an Emotional Support Dog, that's a different story.

I'm taking a gap year to figure things out and I might not go to university because it might be too much of a hassle and traumatic experience for my dog, and there is a career that I'm very interested in that only requires an apprenticeship, either here or in Britain.

So, what's your experience with bringing your dog to university? What is the most dog friendly university?

Please don't tell me your opinion about how I feel about my dog, it won't change anything. I have to say that because I asked a similar question on Reddit and got called a freak, of course Reddit is mostly Americans so I should know better than to expect politeness or civilised behaviour, but the internet is a mean place and unfortunately many young British people are increasingly Americanised so I feel the need to clarify. Hope your new year is going well thus far and thank you for answering.

P.S. I've no idea how to post photos or I would, sorry

TL;DR for you regarding responses.
ESAs are not recognised as assistance dogs anywhere in the UK.
You would be attempting to bring a pet to lectures. That's not going to happen.

Stay with family if you wish to study in the UK.
Reply 42

wonkhe.com/blogs/students-bring-your-pets-to-campus/

Worked for me.

Basically, american campus actively encourages pets, provides secure park etc.
Reply 43
Original post by Tubbz
wonkhe.com/blogs/students-bring-your-pets-to-campus/

Worked for me.

Basically, american campus actively encourages pets, provides secure park etc.

Yup just me, it works on the new, but not old, app...

ta.
Original post by Doonesbury
Yup just me, it works on the new, but not old, app...

ta.

I thought maybe WonkHE had blacklisted you :biggrin:
i wouldn't take my dog unless you were living in a house that allows students to have pets which is rare around my uni unless you live very far from city centre
Not sure if anyone else has already suggested this, but have you considered studying with the Open University? It enables you to study from home, therefore enabling you to be with your dog at all times. Obviously, the only drawback of this would be that you would not be going to a physical university and therefore you would be missing out on the social side of uni...
Original post by Hrolfr
He's an ESA, not just a pet, I don't want to have a row with my potential university, but when it comes to flats I know that they cannot tell me that I can't have him with me, anymore than they can tell me that I can't have spectacles or a hearing aid. In that sense I'm not worried about finding a flat, especially outside of London (which is a bad place for big dogs anyway IMO, too many dangers for them). Even though I could probably force him into a university by invoking the laws against discriminating against service animals (which, as an ESA, he is) that's something that I'm wary of doing because there is a difference between a place that tolerates a dog because they've a legal obligation and place that's dog friendly, that difference doesn't really matter in a flat where the day to day is under my control since it'd be my house, but at a university with all of those people and things going on, dog unfriendliness will lead to problems that I don't want.

I'm certainly considering an apprenticeship for a certain career, and I would either stay in France or go to Edinburgh to live with my brother and sister in law in that case, and in either situation leaving the dog to go work wouldn't be such a big deal because I trust those people to take care of him while I'm out. I certainly wouldn't want to jeopardise my career, but having a dog is like having a child and I have certain responsibilities, since he's an intelligent living creature who I love dearly.

Btw he doesn't *need* to be seen every 90 minutes, he could potentially go all day without me aside from being walked and fed, but he would be sad and I would be sad, maybe 90 minutes isn't realistic but 2.5-3 hours is the maximum time that he's left without someone responsible (me, my parents, my grandparents, my older brother, my younger sister), any longer and he might have to go to the toilet and I'm not going to make him sit in discomfort and hold in his poo for hours whilst I'm off learning about the poetry of Lord Byron or something you know?

Hi I’ve been reading your posts. Totally sympathetic with you, my dog is my best friend and means the world to me and I’d love to take him with me too. But if it was me, as you sound like me who cares a lot about them, I wouldn’t do it. It will put way too much stress on you and your dog. Try and find another way of doing what you want to do. Maybe a part time French university or online. Being away from home and being put under all the stress with your dog will be very hard.
Reply 48
ESA dogs are not classed as Assistance Dogs in the UK. Some universities may allow ESA dogs but I can’t imagine any halls (or most private landlords) will. Living with family is honestly your best bet. Some days lectures can be a full working day with only a short break for lunch; you can’t really leave your dog locked in a small room for 8 hours even if you know it’d be alright. I get that you’re obviously supported a lot by your dog but it is going to be almost impossible to bring to University. You should probably contact the disability access teams at the universities you’re interested in and see if they can help.
Reply 49
Original post by Hrolfr
He's an ESA, not just a pet, I don't want to have a row with my potential university, but when it comes to flats I know that they cannot tell me that I can't have him with me, anymore than they can tell me that I can't have spectacles or a hearing aid. In that sense I'm not worried about finding a flat, especially outside of London (which is a bad place for big dogs anyway IMO, too many dangers for them). Even though I could probably force him into a university by invoking the laws against discriminating against service animals (which, as an ESA, he is) that's something that I'm wary of doing because there is a difference between a place that tolerates a dog because they've a legal obligation and place that's dog friendly, that difference doesn't really matter in a flat where the day to day is under my control since it'd be my house, but at a university with all of those people and things going on, dog unfriendliness will lead to problems that I don't want.

I'm certainly considering an apprenticeship for a certain career, and I would either stay in France or go to Edinburgh to live with my brother and sister in law in that case, and in either situation leaving the dog to go work wouldn't be such a big deal because I trust those people to take care of him while I'm out. I certainly wouldn't want to jeopardise my career, but having a dog is like having a child and I have certain responsibilities, since he's an intelligent living creature who I love dearly.

Btw he doesn't *need* to be seen every 90 minutes, he could potentially go all day without me aside from being walked and fed, but he would be sad and I would be sad, maybe 90 minutes isn't realistic but 2.5-3 hours is the maximum time that he's left without someone responsible (me, my parents, my grandparents, my older brother, my younger sister), any longer and he might have to go to the toilet and I'm not going to make him sit in discomfort and hold in his poo for hours whilst I'm off learning about the poetry of Lord Byron or something you know?

As many others have said, an ESA is not considered a service animal. No university would be legally obligated to cater for your pet (which is how they will see it) and it almost certainly won't be allowed on campus.

You'll either have to accept the fact you can't bring your pet to uni, stay with family, or as others have said, consider an open university course.
The royal agricultural college in cicester allows dogs in student accommodation just not in the main campus areas.
You all have the wrong impression of an assistance/ support/emotional support dog/ service dog

Dogs are seen in law as auxiliary aids, that's their title

The UK looks at the person not the title of a dog.

Forget the dogs title
forget registered
forget accredite
Forget being specially trained

If you have a disability and substantially disadvantaged without the use of an aid your dog becomes an assistance dog

Assistance dogs are auxiliary aids

There's no such thing in the UK as a registered assistance dog.

The law on assistance dogs can be found in EHRC guidance business guide on assistance dogs.

Also see ADVANCED-HE
(edited 4 years ago)
The royal agricultural college in cicester allows dogs in student accommodation just not in the main campus areas. [quote="shazzaxxyyzz;84671874"]

If you have a disability you can have your dog as an aid, there's no such thing in the UK as a registered assistance dog

See EHRC guidance on assistance dogs, all thr information on assistance dogs is there and owner trained is legal.

A dog can be an auxiliary aid
Original post by Sharon Lawrence
You all have the wrong impression of an assistance/ support/emotional support dog/ service dog

Dogs are seen in law as auxiliary aids, that's their title

The UK looks at the person not the title of a dog.

Forget the dogs title
forget registered
forget accredite
Forget being specially trained

If you have a disability and substantially disadvantaged without the use of an aid your dog becomes an assistance dog

Assistance dogs are auxiliary aids

There's no such thing in the UK as a registered assistance dog.

The law on assistance dogs can be found in EHRC guidance business guide on assistance dogs.

Also see ADVANCED-HE

ESAs don't do task work though, they're not trained. It is their presence that helps the person, not a task. They're not the same as an assistance dog, and they aren't classed as an auxillary aid either.

Latest

Trending

Trending