The Student Room Group

How much should I insist my partner spends on my engagement ring?

Is it 3 or 4 times their monthly income men that are expected to spend?

Scroll to see replies

Now I ain't sayin' she a gold digger...
...are you serious?
You should not insist at all that your partner spends money on your engagement ring. It is up to him to make that decision. If he really wanted to engage you he would have brought the ring already or perhaps it is simply out of his budget right now.
Does he give you a reason why he won't buy you a ring?
The recipient of a purely decorative gift expects to determine the value of that gift? And only a third of an annual income would be sufficient? I suggest the male in this relationship finds someone with a more sensible and realistic attitude to life prorities and money.

If this is common, there is no wonder young people have difficulty being able to afford housing.
Original post by Pleasantri

If I were your fiance I would run fast
there are no regulations to obey concerning your ring

smh
Reply 7

Spoiler

Reply 8
You shouldn't insist anything.

But while we're all here, what's everyone's opinions on engagement rings having to be diamond? Women would you be bothered by or even happier with another kind of stone? For example my partner has expressed that diamonds are overrated and expensive and she'd much prefer a stone she actually likes like and amethyst instead. Thoughts?
Original post by TomW624

But while we're all here, what's everyone's opinions on engagement rings having to be diamond? Women would you be bothered by or even happier with another kind of stone? For example my partner has expressed that diamonds are overrated and expensive and she'd much prefer a stone she actually likes like and amethyst instead. Thoughts?

I m not a diamond person really, my ring is aquamarine with very small diamonds on the side. I think gemstones are more unique.
diamonds are a waste of money and have no resale value, its a scam by the industry

are you for real?? you are essentially getting married to the love of your life and all you care about is the cost of the engagement ring. what a wonderful partner you are!
Original post by TomW624

tb diamonds are such a common choice that they have really lost their value in my opinion. I would rather get a ring with a gemstone on it which means something to me or to my partner.
You shouldn’t insist on anything you greedy little monster. Keep up that attitude and it won’t be a very long engagement.

Depends on how good your O and A level skills are and whether you are in the S.A.S.

Spoiler

with an attitude like that, the only ring you deserve is a haribo one

Its up to your boyfriend how much he spends - not you.

However, if you really want to get into tradition and insist he spends a certain amount, then he can do the same with how much your family spend on the wedding - only fair, right?
Wow, why does it matter? It's the sentiment, the meaning and the love shared that's more important. If the ring is pretty and durable, I don't care about the price! People who care more for their rings and how amazing their wedding is don't really do well in the longevity of their relationship.

"According to a new study, spending between $2,000 and $4,000 on an engagement ring is significantly associated with an increase in the risk of divorce."

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/10/the-divorce-proof-marriage/381401/

People spend more to almost hide the flaws in their relationship.
Original post by Mini_1999
tb diamonds are such a common choice that they have really lost their value in my opinion. I would rather get a ring with a gemstone on it which means something to me or to my partner.

Diamonds arent really worth anything at all anyway. Its just crystallised carbon.
Original post by Jack22031994
Diamonds arent really worth anything at all anyway. Its just crystallised carbon.

such a smart reason not to like them. !!
Original post by Mini_1999
such a smart reason not to like them. !!

and things such as gemstones, are prettier anyway!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending