The Student Room Group

Can't Get a part-time job, Plz help

Long-story short, I've been applying for jobs for a year and a half now and still nothing.

I've tried all the big shops and small ones near me,I've tried city centres and shopping malls, I've tried cafe's and restaurants, I tried going back to my work experience place but they said they don't have any vacancies.

I'm kinda stumped on what to do I guess, I also know this is kinda the worst period to look for work, but i'm kinda desperate as I don't wanna stay at home all the fukin time doing nothing all the time.

I just really want some advice as it is.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Juvilation
Long-story short, I've been applying for jobs for a year and a half now and still nothing.

I've tried all the big shops and small ones near me,I've tried city centres and shopping malls, I've tried cafe's and restaurants, I tried going back to my work experience place but they said they don't have any vacancies.

I'm kinda stumped on what to do I guess, I also know this is kinda the worst period to look for work, but i'm kinda desperate as I don't wanna stay at home all the fukin time doing nothing all the time.

check out apprenticeships
Reply 2

I feel the same way :frown: But why is it the worst period to look for work?
Have you reached the interview stage for any of your applications?
Reply 4
Ive had multiple interviews, Ive even had to turn down a few jobs just because their too far away, btw im from north-west London. Also not really interested in an apprentiship because ive just applied for a few uni's
Reply 5
Original post by Roy101
I feel the same way :frown: But why is it the worst period to look for work?

You cant find many job posts this time around, or par time ones anyhow

Look for picker, packer, warehouse operative jobs at your local agencies, you can work there for 1-2 days or look for waiter jobs.

Retail

- Marks and Spencer
- Next
- Debenhams
- River Island
- Sports Soccer
- JD Sports
- Game
- John Lewis
- Toys R us
- TK Maxx
- Boots
- Poundland
- PC world
- Currys
- Ikea
- Superdrug's
- Staples
- Greggs
- Waterstones
- Primark
- Phone shops
- B and M(the Bargain Shop)

And many more others

Supermarket (Asda, Tesco, Morrison's, Lidl, Sainsbury's)
Restaurants (McDonalds, KFC, Burger Kind, Burger shops, Pizza Hut, Café Rouge)
Cinema's
Pubs
Warehouse (lots of jobs available as a warehouse operative, picker, packer, parcel sorter)
DIY Shops
Bookies
Fundraising (There are commission based and hourly paid for hitting targets)
Hotels

Also the type of jobs you can apply for:

Waiter, Kitchen Porter, Bar Staff, Housekeeper, Call Centre, Assistant, Checkout operator, Data entry, Cashier, Theatre supervisor, Gardening, Bin person, Home shopper, Customer Service, Hosting, Admin, Food Supervisor, Beverage Supervisor, Room Attendant, Catering Assistant, Porter, security steward, field operative, production operative, recycling operative

Where to find jobs:

- Totaljobs
- Indeed
- Reed
- Monster
- Job centre plus
- Fish4jobs
- At your local Job centre board
- Gumtree
- Empty Lemon
- Retail jobs
- Job heaven
- Jobsite
- Your local shopping centre website
- Agencies
- Look through your Express and Star
- Shop Window
- Through someone
- Job open days (ask at your local job centre)
- Your university/college job shop
- Through your local council

Try mcdonalds.
They take on a lot of students.
Reply 8
Original post by Emma:-)
Try mcdonalds.

Thanks!
Original post by Roy101
Thanks!

And it isnt as bad as people make out either.
It served me well over the years i worked there. It certainly served me well and has stood me in good stead for the job i do now.
Reply 10
And it isnt as bad as people make out either.
It served me well over the years i worked there. It certainly served me well and has stood me in good stead for the job i do now.

Wow really? That's cool :smile: Thank you
Ive had multiple interviews, Ive even had to turn down a few jobs just because their too far away, btw im from north-west London. Also not really interested in an apprentiship because ive just applied for a few uni's

Have you tried sending follow-up emails after your interviews? For my first job, I still hadn't heard anything back 4 weeks after my interview so I decided to send a follow up email to see where my application had gotten up to. At the time I thought it was pointless because after 4 weeks they've probably hired and moved on but thought I had nothing to lose either way. Somehow, after sending the email, I actually got a job offer on the day so maybe give it a go if you haven't already?
Original post by Analyst89
Look for picker, packer, warehouse operative jobs at your local agencies, you can work there for 1-2 days or look for waiter jobs.

Retail

- Marks and Spencer
- Next
- Debenhams
- River Island
- Sports Soccer
- JD Sports
- Game
- John Lewis
- Toys R us
- TK Maxx
- Boots
- Poundland
- PC world
- Currys
- Ikea
- Superdrug's
- Staples
- Greggs
- Waterstones
- Primark
- Phone shops
- B and M(the Bargain Shop)

And many more others

Supermarket (Asda, Tesco, Morrison's, Lidl, Sainsbury's)
Restaurants (McDonalds, KFC, Burger Kind, Burger shops, Pizza Hut, Café Rouge)
Cinema's
Pubs
Warehouse (lots of jobs available as a warehouse operative, picker, packer, parcel sorter)
DIY Shops
Bookies
Fundraising (There are commission based and hourly paid for hitting targets)
Hotels

Also the type of jobs you can apply for:

Waiter, Kitchen Porter, Bar Staff, Housekeeper, Call Centre, Assistant, Checkout operator, Data entry, Cashier, Theatre supervisor, Gardening, Bin person, Home shopper, Customer Service, Hosting, Admin, Food Supervisor, Beverage Supervisor, Room Attendant, Catering Assistant, Porter, security steward, field operative, production operative, recycling operative

Where to find jobs:

- Totaljobs
- Indeed
- Reed
- Monster
- Job centre plus
- Fish4jobs
- At your local Job centre board
- Gumtree
- Empty Lemon
- Retail jobs
- Job heaven
- Jobsite
- Your local shopping centre website
- Agencies
- Look through your Express and Star
- Shop Window
- Through someone
- Job open days (ask at your local job centre)
- Your university/college job shop
- Through your local council

Ive pretty much done most things on that list, i dont really read newspapers and ive already gone into a bunch of shops and randomly asked people. Im assuming resturants dont wanna hire me cause i dont have any experience or they dont wanna hire someone like me
Try mcdonalds.

Ive already been to macdonalds a bunch of times, been rejected a handful of times, had to reject one cause it was too far and there are very few part-time weekend slots availible and the ones that are availible i can never get
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Have you tried sending follow-up emails after your interviews? For my first job, I still hadn't heard anything back 4 weeks after my interview so I decided to send a follow up email to see where my application had gotten up to. At the time I thought it was pointless because after 4 weeks they've probably hired and moved on but thought I had nothing to lose either way. Somehow, after sending the email, I actually got a job offer on the day so maybe give it a go if you haven't already?

Ive never really done follow-up emails as i feeel they're a waste of time, also kinda confused about how to contact them and what to say in the first place

Ever considered being a HCA? They're usually crying out for people and if you get with the right companies it can net you £10-£16 an hour
Im not acc sure what a hca is, sounds cool tho, a google search doesnt really aid my curiosity
Ive never really done follow-up emails as i feeel they're a waste of time, also kinda confused about how to contact them and what to say in the first place

Yeah I understand, that was my line of thought before I had sent any off, but it could be worth a go trying anyway if you leave it a week or two just to give them a 'nudge' regarding your application.

As to what you should say, there are loads of examples on the Internet which could give you an idea
Im not acc sure what a hca is, sounds cool tho, a google search doesnt really aid my curiosity

Healthcare assistant; it's where you help look after disabled/ old people usually in a nursing home or hospital/ hospice environment.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Yeah I understand, that was my line of thought before I had sent any off, but it could be worth a go trying anyway if you leave it a week or two just to give them a 'nudge' regarding your application.

As to what you should say, there are loads of examples on the Internet which could give you an idea

I guess ill give it a try

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending