The Student Room Group

How can I make my uni room feel more homely?

Not entirely sure where to post this, sorry...

Basically, the title says it all. The main issue I have is that I have to move everything out of my room each term so I don't want anything that is huge (I have to fit all my stuff in one relatively small car) or that takes forever to put up and take down, e.g. a big wall of pictures.

I currently have blankets, fairy lights, cushions, lamps, a couple of pictures, reed diffuser. I'm probably going to get a plant, one that doesn't require much maintenance :lol:

With regards to my room, it's not massive but a decent size. I have a huge desk and lots of shelf space above it. I also have this huge pinboard that is L-shaped and pretty much empty at the moment. I don't have that much wall space (I have three big windows) and my bed is kind of shoved in a small corner, so I'm not sure I'd have space for a rug near it. I have lots of windowsills to put things on. My room is painted a very pale blue.

I'd really like ideas of what to put on the pinboard and on my shelves/windowsills.

All suggestions welcome, thanks in advance!
Original post by issyatuni

Basically, the title says it all. The main issue I have is that I have to move everything out of my room each term so I don't want anything that is huge (I have to fit all my stuff in one relatively small car) or that takes forever to put up and take down, e.g. a big wall of pictures.

I currently have blankets, fairy lights, cushions, lamps, a couple of pictures, reed diffuser. I'm probably going to get a plant, one that doesn't require much maintenance :lol:

With regards to my room, it's not massive but a decent size. I have a huge desk and lots of shelf space above it. I also have this huge pinboard that is L-shaped and pretty much empty at the moment. I don't have that much wall space (I have three big windows) and my bed is kind of shoved in a small corner, so I'm not sure I'd have space for a rug near it. I have lots of windowsills to put things on. My room is painted a very pale blue.

I'd really like ideas of what to put on the pinboard and on my shelves/windowsills.

Take a picture!
Add a fireplace
Reply 3
Original post by issyatuni

Decorate the wall with some photos and other meaningful stuff. Get something soft like a nice blanket or stuffed animal. Add something scented to make it smell nice. Get a couple of little things to put on your desk or by the window. If there's anything you're into like a hobby put some of that sort of stuff in. Maybe some sun catchers or something by the window.
Walls and bed are a huge part of the decor of a uni room so start there.

In my uni room I had a big pin board which I covered in black felt with coloured ribbon going down it then pinned photos to the ribbon. It was nice cos it was something I made and had pictures that were special to me. I'm a big fan of cute soft stuff too so I had my bedding from home, a nice fluffy blanket and some stuffed animals.
I also plugged in one of those scent things (which in hindsight was really strong for such a small room). My desk had a couple of drawings and other tat.

Hope that helps and your room feels more homely soon. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
If you want a big photo collage you can make one on a large piece of paper and then just take the paper up and down?
Reply 5
Original post by Kindred
Decorate the wall with some photos and other meaningful stuff. Get something soft like a nice blanket or stuffed animal. Add something scented to make it smell nice. Get a couple of little things to put on your desk or by the window. If there's anything you're into like a hobby put some of that sort of stuff in. Maybe some sun catchers or something by the window.
Walls and bed are a huge part of the decor of a uni room so start there.

In my uni room I had a big pin board which I covered in black felt with coloured ribbon going down it then pinned photos to the ribbon. It was nice cos it was something I made and had pictures that were special to me. I'm a big fan of cute soft stuff too so I had my bedding from home, a nice fluffy blanket and some stuffed animals.
I also plugged in one of those scent things (which in hindsight was really strong for such a small room). My desk had a couple of drawings and other tat.

Hope that helps and your room feels more homely soon. :smile:

Thanks for all the suggestions - I think stuffed animals are definitely something I'm going to have to get!

Original post by doodle_333
If you want a big photo collage you can make one on a large piece of paper and then just take the paper up and down?

I never even thought of this :redface: thank you!
Reply 6
I have Buddhist **** everywhere in mine, I take some of it with me when I go on holiday etc. and put it in whatever room I'm bunking in. Small reminders.
stick stuff on your notice board? first thing i did when i got into my uni room was stick my pride flag on my noticeboard :colondollar: got it from when me and my mum went to pride together and reminds me of her.
Teddies can also help, i have 3 on the windowsill and one on my bed
You could also put ornaments or something on your desk or cupboards? i dont personally but ive been in one of my housemates room and they have
just make it your own space :hugs:
Get some posters and pin them on your board, they're easier to take down than a bunch of photos and add more character to your room. Or stick them on your walls if you're allowed.
Plants completely change a room, I have two and they make it look so homely and like a family home bedroom. Hanging plants work really well on shelves e.g. http://idolza.com/a/f/m/make-simple-shelf-over-the-bed-hanging-plants-in-bedroom_books-shelf_frank-lloyd-wright-influences-bathroom-tile-ideas-for-small-bathrooms-modern-colors-ceiling-fan-retractabl.jpg
You can always spruce things up with some new bedding, I think darker colours make a room look smarter and more sophisticated. Most people seem to go for light pinks and light blues but I think it makes uni rooms look dirtier.
One of the best things I bought was colour changing lights. Either a strip of led lights that you can stick somewhere, or you can just buy some led colour changing fairy lights. They come with a remote control and you can choose any colour you like and it completely changes the vibe of the room.
Little trinket bowls can also add a lot of character and be used to store jewellery and other small bits.
I wouldn't go overboard though because it just makes things difficult when moving out.
kick everyone out and and invite your grandma to move in ..."
and you'll be goof for a while 😊👵🙇

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending