The Student Room Group

Im trying to be more intellectual

Hello guys, I am trying to learn more words to expand my vocab so I can automatically put together complex words in a sentence mentally. If you guys can drop a list of words "(I know many students do have words to use in their essay) or if you guys know any websites that can help me.

I believe doing this will help writing essays easier.
Try to engage with intellectual stuff. Read newspapers, articles, etc. I enjoy a good podcast and depending what interests you they're a really good way to get a really detailed updates on developments in whatever area you want. But basically just keep trying words and phrases out when you can to stretch your vocab. Your teachers may have lists to help with academic language as well, but mainly just try to immerse and involve yourself in it when you can
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hello guys, I am trying to learn more words to expand my vocab so I can automatically put together complex words in a sentence mentally. If you guys can drop a list of words "(I know many students do have words to use in their essay) or if you guys know any websites that can help me.

I believe doing this will help writing essays easier.

As someone whose first language is not English and has to learn it for the sake of A-levels, my ultimate advice is to firstly look at the common words you use in your essays. For example, the word "early" can have other replacements such as "expeditious", depending on the context.

To automatically put complex words together mentally takes a lot of years of practice. In my opinion, what makes an essay fantastic is not simply due to its vocabulary, but rather the flow and fluidity in the language, as well as the structure and clarity of content.

Here is a good place to start if you want to make better essays: https://www.oxford-royale.co.uk/articles/tips-techniques-essay-writer.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending