The Student Room Group

Should I take a chance and apply to the University of Edinburgh?

Hi, I'm thinking of applying at the end of the year to study English Lit and Classics at the University of Edinburgh, but I'm not sure if it's worth it..
They ask for BBB at the end of S5 and AABB in total from S5-S6, but expect AAAA.
I am currently only doing three highers in S5 due to having to drop one and NAT5 maths, but I will be doing it again in S6 and I already have a C in NAT5 Biology which it asks for..
I'll be doing another two highers and advanced higher English in S6 as well as NAT5 maths, as mentioned.
Is it even worth applying for? I've heard it's a ridiculously competitive university to get into, but it's my dream to go there.
Original post by aronofskygal
Hi, I'm thinking of applying at the end of the year to study English Lit and Classics at the University of Edinburgh, but I'm not sure if it's worth it..
They ask for BBB at the end of S5 and AABB in total from S5-S6, but expect AAAA.
I am currently only doing three highers in S5 due to having to drop one and NAT5 maths, but I will be doing it again in S6 and I already have a C in NAT5 Biology which it asks for..
I'll be doing another two highers and advanced higher English in S6 as well as NAT5 maths, as mentioned.
Is it even worth applying for? I've heard it's a ridiculously competitive university to get into, but it's my dream to go there.

send them an email and ask how they might respond to an application from you, but if you only have 3 highers it most likely isnt enough.
Original post by claireestelle
send them an email and ask how they might respond to an application from you, but if you only have 3 highers it most likely isnt enough.

They ask for AABB or ABBBB collectively over two years though..
They ask for AABB or ABBBB collectively over two years though..

do you think you could get an A /b in the one you'll do next year?
Original post by claireestelle
do you think you could get an A /b in the one you'll do next year?

Yeah, for sure. Would it be cheeky to email about my chances?

You get to apply to 5 places, so if it's your dream, why not apply and then chose 4 more "sensible" places?

When you apply, they'll be able to see which exams you plan to take at the end of the year, as you'll list these as pending, so if you'll end up with 4 highers in total at around the right grades, you might be lucky and get in. If you only end up with 3, I would guess your chances might be a lot smaller.

But if it's your dream it's surely worth giving it a try and knowing for sure?

If you get the grades, you could also take a gap year and reapply with grades in hand. This makes you a much stronger applicant.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
You get to apply to 5 places, so if it's your dream, why not apply and then chose 4 more "sensible" places?

When you apply, they'll be able to see which exams you plan to take at the end of the year, as you'll list these as pending, so if you'll end up with 4 highers in total at around the right grades, you might be lucky and get in. If you only end up with 3, I would guess your chances might be a lot smaller.

But if it's your dream it's surely worth giving it a try and knowing for sure?

If you get the grades, you could also take a gap year and reapply with grades in hand. This makes you a much stronger applicant.

Sorry for being a pain, but what do you mean by your second point? I achieve AAB this year would it still be worth putting an application in?

I'll definitely be applying to four other safe places, but this course is my dream course.
Sorry for being a pain, but what do you mean by your second point? I achieve AAB this year would it still be worth putting an application in?

I'll definitely be applying to four other safe places, but this course is my dream course.

If they want 4 highers by the end of S6, I think it's fine to apply with AAB this year, as long as you are taking another higher next year- so eventually you would have, say AABB or AAAB or AABC or something.

Even if you don't think you'll do that well in your 4th higher, I wouldn't worry too much as long as you have a reasonable prediction for it. If you miss a grade, but have an offer, you still have a reasonable chance of getting in.

If you're not doing another higher next year, and so will only have AAB at the end of S6, I would guess you'd be unlikely to get a place, as they want 4 highers.
Edinburgh really isn't as competitive as you think it is. Apply
Original post by SarcAndSpark
If they want 4 highers by the end of S6, I think it's fine to apply with AAB this year, as long as you are taking another higher next year- so eventually you would have, say AABB or AAAB or AABC or something.

Even if you don't think you'll do that well in your 4th higher, I wouldn't worry too much as long as you have a reasonable prediction for it. If you miss a grade, but have an offer, you still have a reasonable chance of getting in.

If you're not doing another higher next year, and so will only have AAB at the end of S6, I would guess you'd be unlikely to get a place, as they want 4 highers.

I'll be doing another two highers in sixth year. Ahhh, I'm excited.

Original post by rickyrossman
Edinburgh really isn't as competitive as you think it is. Apply

Really!? I thought it was ridiculously competitive.

Not really. No university in this country is competitive bar Cambridge and Oxford and maybe Imperial or LSE for certain subjects.

If you're doing another two highers next year, then you should have a decent chance at a place (assuming this year goes well). Obviously people do get rejected from uni for all sorts of reasons, but I really don't think there's any reason not to apply!

If you think you might manage, say AABBB or AAABB then I wouldn't think it would be that much of a long shot.

Good Luck!

Also, there was a bit of a dip in birth rates in the late 90s/early00s so that makes getting into uni a bit less competitive now than it was say 5-10 years ago. Brexit might also have an effect, especially if EU students can't go to Scottish unis for free anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending