The Student Room Group

Why are fat girls so giggly?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joel 96
no problemo, thank you too.

Apologies if I came across as overly aggressive :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Fat girl here.
I'm quiet and kinda sombre most of the time. Even when talking to people, I don't really laugh that much even if my friends are laughing together.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I'm just interested. Why do you think you are fat, and are you happy being that way? Would you rather be more fat/less fat/not fat at all or are you literally happy exactly how you are?

You don't have to say how "fat" you are or anything.
Original post by stirkee
I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I'm just interested. Why do you think you are fat, and are you happy being that way? Would you rather be more fat/less fat/not fat at all or are you literally happy exactly how you are?

You don't have to say how "fat" you are or anything, for all I know you're 1kg into being "fat".

I'm fat because I have excess fat on my body, my BMI is just about in the 'healthy' range (23) but I clearly do not have a healthy body yet.

No I am not happy this way and I'm currently in the process of losing weight. It is hard with uni being my main priority but I do manage at least 2/3 days a week at the gym and I eat a caloric deficit diet, luckily I am seeing results :smile:

I would like to be less fat than I am now, but not a twig.
Original post by Zxyn
When you’re raised as being fat, switching to a healthy lifestyle actually feels better like you get this sense of empowerment that those with a naturally healthy diet wouldn’t understand

who gives a **** - raising a child fat is immoral - they're in a growing, development stage so without the proper diet and exercise they won't grow properly.
Original post by stirkee
With all due respect, if being fat meant I was self conscious about my weight... then I would lose weight. Hardly difficult logic.

We can say all we like that its okay to be fat, its fine to eat yourself into obesity, don't worry you're beautiful just how you are, etc. But the fact is that being fat is not healthy, and a lot of people (myself included) find fat people unattractive. People cannot choose to be fat through their lifestyle, life choices etc and then get upset when others call them what they are.

I agree that when people are overweight or obese we shouldn't by any means baby them and tell them they don't need help because they do, because it is a health issue, but we have to realise they don't need help because they look ugly, they need it because they are in danger. We should not label them as 'fat' as it is condescending. It is still very possible to be overweight and beautiful.
Original post by Joel 96
hey man, i detest people who laugh at others or publicly shame someone based on their weight, but you're obviously gonna judge someone if they're 3+ stone over what they should be. how you judge is up to you; i prefer to keep my thoughts to myself, but if they asked for my opinion, i'd advise them to get help.

yeah, i mean, i appreciate that you would notice someone's weight but there is a stigma surrounding being overweight, and today so many people think that being overweight means you can't be beautiful

Of course being overweight should not be glorified as it is unhealthy and there is NO denying that, but we shouldn't call people out for it, or categorise them:smile:
Original post by tooschool4cool
I agree that when people are overweight or obese we shouldn't by any means baby them and tell them they don't need help because they do, because it is a health issue, but we have to realise they don't need help because they look ugly, they need it because they are in danger. We should not label them as 'fat' as it is condescending. It is still very possible to be overweight and beautiful.

I appreciate that 'fat' is quite casual as opposed to the more medically correct 'overweight' and 'obese' but I don't see how calling someone who is fat, fat is condescending; so long as its intended more as a description rather than an insult. Would you prefer 'large'?

Beauty is subjective, which is why I said in my previous post that a lot of people find fat people unattractive (rather than saying if you are fat you are unattractive full stop). If a guy wants to date a fat girl, or vice versa, then fair play.
Original post by stirkee
I appreciate that 'fat' is quite casual as opposed to the more medically correct 'overweight' and 'obese' but I don't see how calling someone who is fat, fat is condescending; so long as its intended more as a description rather than an insult. Would you prefer 'large'?

Beauty is subjective, which is why I said in my previous post that a lot of people find fat people unattractive (rather than saying if you are fat you are unattractive full stop). If a guy wants to date a fat girl, or vice versa, then fair play.

I used to be really self conscious about my weight (even though I was perfectly average, and even slightly on the skinnier side) and when people called me 'fat' I really took it to heart. If the person's ok with it, then it's obviously fine, but we should be more careful with how we use it as people may take it the wrong way:smile:
I used to be really self conscious about my weight (even though I was perfectly average, and even slightly on the skinnier side) and when people called me 'fat' I really took it to heart. If the person's ok with it, then it's obviously fine, but we should be more careful with how we use it as people may take it the wrong way:smile:

Ah I see where you are coming from. When I use the word "fat" I am talking about someone who is medically overweight rather than someone who is perfectly healthy but who societal norms may say should lose weight.

In the former case, the person needs to lose weight.

In the latter case (i.e. yours), how dare people suggest that they need to lose weight.

I suppose you are right though, it wouldn't necessarily be possible for me to know just looking at someone whether they are overweight or not (two people weighing 1kg different might be visually identical but one may be 'healthy' and one 'overweight'). When I make my comments I am more speaking about someone who is overweight, as in on a factual basis.
Original post by stirkee
Ah I see where you are coming from. When I use the word "fat" I am talking about someone who is medically overweight rather than someone who is perfectly healthy but who societal norms may say should lose weight.

In the former case, the person needs to lose weight.

In the latter case (i.e. yours), how dare people suggest that they need to lose weight.

I suppose you are right though, it wouldn't necessarily be possible for me to know just looking at someone whether they are overweight or not (two people weighing 1kg different might be visually identical but one may be 'healthy' and one 'overweight':wink:. When I make my comments I am more speaking about someone who is overweight, as in on a factual basis.

Ah yes, I understand that. To avoid misinterpretation, I would always use 'overweight' when talking about the actual clinical idea of 'fat' because 'fat' is considered more casual and mean whereas 'overweight' is more scientific:smile:
Original post by OliviaMH00
Apologies if I came across as overly aggressive :smile:

not at all
Original post by Joel 96
not at all

Hmm, note to self- must try harder 😂
Fat girl here.
I'm quiet and kinda sombre most of the time. Even when talking to people, I don't really laugh that much even if my friends are laughing together.

What would you define as "fat"
"Fat" girls are more fulfilled in terms of their appetite. Therefore, life is fun and joyous. That is my theory. I do wonder why some thin girls are cranky af sometimes....perhaps it's due to not eating what they want in the off chance that someone calls them "fat"?
Fat girls know they need to work harder with their personalities to make themselves more likeable. Being jokey, giggly and bubbly makes them appear friendlier and more approachable and makes people feel more at ease around them. Fat people know that because they haven't got the looks they need to rely on their sense of humour more.
Original post by DrXavier
What would you define as "fat"

25% upwards in my opinion.

Spoiler

25% upwards in my opinion.

Spoiler

tbh I think anything less than 35% can be quite hot!
👏🏻👏🏻the fact that op is looking at girls and classing them as fat is honestly just.. ugh I cba with people like this

Yep, it's sooooo bad to call girls fat but guys? No problem mate carry on.
Are they? All the fat girls I know are miserable and beeyatchy
Original post by Caesar333
Yep, it's sooooo bad to call girls fat but guys? No problem mate carry on.

Oh my god of course it's just as wrong to call guys fat!!! One of my best friends (who's a guy) was called fat quite a few times by this other guy, and it REALLY upset him, and I'm still mad about it. I used 'girls'because op was relating to 'fat girls' and so guys were kind of irrelevant in the context, but I am 100% against calling guys fat too:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending