The Student Room Group

Is this infected?

I got this wound three days ago and I’m worried that it’s infected.5CCC53DE-FE6C-4821-B7FE-872FD07EB191.jpg.jpeg

Scroll to see replies

Talk to a doctor. Not tsr
Reply 2
Original post by Skyewoods
Talk to a doctor. Not tsr

Ok I can’t access a doctor right now. I simply want to know if it looks like a possible infection.
Original post by Greyyyyy
I got this wound three days ago and I’m worried that it’s infected.5CCC53DE-FE6C-4821-B7FE-872FD07EB191.jpg.jpeg

It's not infected. It's not swollen, it's not angrily red and it's not green or yellow. You can see some of the tissue in the middle-right is actively healing as the sides are joining up. Keep it clean and eat well for the next few days; nutrition is very important for wound healing.
yes its practically gangrene...
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
yes its practically gangrene...

You’re being sarcastic I hope?
Reply 6
Original post by Glassapple
It's not infected. It's not swollen, it's not angrily red and it's not green or yellow. You can see some of the tissue in the middle-right is actively healing as the sides are joining up. Keep it clean and eat well for the next few days; nutrition is very important for wound healing.

Thank you! I’m just very worried because I have a lot of health-related anxiety.

Doesn’t look it to me! Redness and soreness will just be due to increased blood flow. If you see any change in colour to a yellow/green hue and some weeping or pus then go and speak to a pharmacist for their opinion. Otherwise, keep it clean, dry and try to eat well to aid healing.

Edit: Sometimes a wound can itch as well whilst it heals so don’t be alarmed if that happens; tends to be at the scabby stage when the scab is falling off and more of a brown colour.
(edited 6 years ago)
Put some Savlon or equivalent and be sure to wash it with soap and water a couple times a day. You're not going to die.
Reply 9

Hard to tell with a photo, but doesn't look it. Some things to look out for include swelling, "angry" redness (like it's spreading from the wound or otherwise abnormal), discharge other than fresh blood and pain.
A bit of something like germoline should help keep it nice and not infected. Pop into a pharmacy if you're worried so they can take a look. :smile:

This link may also help:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cuts-and-grazes/
People like you are why the NHS is running out of money; you shouldn't go and see someone for a minor cut/graze like this at all. The wound is 3 days old according to the OP, it would have shown signs of infection by now. You can see on the right that the tissue is starting to join together nicely. Do you run to see someone medical whenever you scrape your knee or get a small cut?
People like you are why the NHS is running out of money; you shouldn't go and see someone for a minor cut/graze like this at all. The wound is 3 days old according to the OP, it would have shown signs of infection by now. You can see on the right that the tissue is starting to join together nicely. Do you run to see someone medical whenever you scrape your knee or get a small cut?

If you're someone medical you shouldn't be advising the OP to waste everyone's time. You should know it's very clearly not infected, stop worrying them.
(edited 6 years ago)
If you don't want your head on the line don't parade your GMC registration on a student forum and just don't wade into these threads at all. If you really think it's a good idea for the OP to rock up to A&E with this, wait 6 hours or more and get told exactly the same as they've already been told on here and waste everybody's time and money in the process then I'd be extremely worried about your judgement skills. There's a reason information about how to treat small cuts and grazes at home like this one is released to the public. This is a very small 3 day old laceration which is actively healing.
(edited 6 years ago)
You didn't specify who to go and see (if they really had to see someone about it a pharmacist would be more appropriate, but again this would be a waste of time as they'll sag what's already been said), and you put 'will' in bold to scare tge OP into thinking it's more serious than it actually is. I see you completely ignored my point stating there's a reason why information is released to the public about treating minor cuts and grazes themselves at home without medical intervention.

Yes you can post where you want, but you're not doing yourself any favours by going into overdrive about a small cut and worrying the OP who has already stated they have health anxiety.
You didn't specify who to go and see (if they really had to see someone about it a pharmacist would be more appropriate, but again this would be a waste of time as they'll say what's already been said), and you put 'will' in bold to scare the OP into thinking it's more serious than it actually is. I see you completely ignored my point stating there's a reason why information is released to the public about treating minor cuts and grazes themselves at home without medical intervention.

Yes you can post where you want, but you're not doing yourself any favours by going into overdrive about a small cut and worrying the OP who has already stated they have health anxiety.
RIP OP, sepsis inbound.
You never stated who you were advocating for and you were very happy to leave it ambiguous had I not quoted you, knowing that the OP is most likely a teenager who likely is unaware of the services a pharmicist or practice nurse can provide. I singled you out because as a GMC registered professonal you should know not to be ambigious online about who somebody should go and see and it looked like you were trying to scare the OP. I posted twice because for some reason tonight TSR is defaulting to tick the box to make posts anon so I'm not used to having to untick it.

I see you have repeatedly ignored my point that there is a reason information about how to treat minor cuts and grazes at home without medical intervention is released to the public.
(edited 6 years ago)
nah looks fit
Wrap it in cling film and a thin layer of coconut oil for no longer than an hour and a half if you’re worried. It draws the infection out of the wound.
Original post by LaurenAlysArtist
Wrap it in cling film and a thin layer of coconut oil for no longer than an hour and a half if you’re worried. It draws the infection out of the wound.

Honestly? Are you serious? One "treats" an infection; one does not lure it outside of a body. *smh*

Quick Reply

Latest