The Student Room Group

my friend says my uni is for dumb people

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
the problem is i know i could get in somewhere else, i'm sure i could get into ucl. but i can't - i have to work full time (can't afford living in london otherwise) and i still want to have some me time, i already studied once full time (over 20 hrs a week) and worked full time and i was half alive

Hey, I've wondered why I never hear of anyone in your position going to Birbeck before. For anyone working lots of hours it seems far better to go to a course where other students are in the same position. I'd also much prefer the type of work available in normal working hours - you might build up a great CV before you graduate.

What course are you doing? I think most interviews you have as a graduate will be both interested and impressed by your choice.
Original post by ajj2000
Hey, I've wondered why I never hear of anyone in your position going to Birbeck before. For anyone working lots of hours it seems far better to go to a course where other students are in the same position. I'd also much prefer the type of work available in normal working hours - you might build up a great CV before you graduate.

What course are you doing? I think most interviews you have as a graduate will be both interested and impressed by your choice.

business innovation and e-business. i'm an international student and that's why it might seem like i don't know much about some aspects of studying in uk. i wanted to apply for business psychology (undergraduate) but seems like an awful waste of time since i already have BA.
My friend got into UCL and I chose Birkbeck University of London (simply because it's evening classes and I have to work full time so that I can live in London). He started making fun of me that Birkbeck is for dumb people who can't get anywhere else. I could get anywhere I wanted, I know that, I just know that it would be hard to live in London, work part time and still have enough money to visit family or do anything for fun. I really think Birkbeck is a good uni, after all it's part of University of London? Now I don't know if it was a good choice if I shouldn't have gone somewhere else and just try to balance work/study somehow, I mean others do it why couldn't I?

Your friend is an *******, he's just spouting crap like people usually do. I firmed UEL without even giving the better unis a chance. I'm going for the EXPERIENCE, not the prestige.
Reply 63
Original post by erratic_deus
UCL isn't number one and even if it was, he shouldn't have said a certain uni is for "dumber" students based on a temporary ranking.

The point you were trying to make was that he shouldn't say birkbeck if for dumb people because UCL isn't that good anyways. When you were proven wrong you changed your argument to 'ranking's don't determine the intelligence of students', when it fact they do.

Stop being silly
Original post by MR1999
The point you were trying to make was that he shouldn't say birkbeck if for dumb people because UCL isn't that good anyways. When you were proven wrong you changed your argument to 'ranking's don't determine the intelligence of students', when it fact they do.

Stop being silly

How are you telling me the point I was trying to make.
Good students come from anywhere.
My friend got into UCL and I chose Birkbeck University of London (simply because it's evening classes and I have to work full time so that I can live in London). He started making fun of me that Birkbeck is for dumb people who can't get anywhere else. I could get anywhere I wanted, I know that, I just know that it would be hard to live in London, work part time and still have enough money to visit family or do anything for fun. I really think Birkbeck is a good uni, after all it's part of University of London? Now I don't know if it was a good choice if I shouldn't have gone somewhere else and just try to balance work/study somehow, I mean others do it why couldn't I?

you need new friends, the egalitarian attitude of UCL will knock that arrogance out of him
Reply 66
University ''prestige'' only really matters at postgraduate level. Which most undergraduates never reach. Often their own egos get in the way of their own progression.
Reply 67
Get some new friends, including some at UCL just to annoy your ex "friend".
Most people at UCL aren't eejits.
Original post by _NMcC_
University ''prestige'' only really matters at postgraduate level. Which most undergraduates never reach. Often their own egos get in the way of their own progression.

actually I'll be doing MSc there
Reply 69
Original post by _NMcC_
University ''prestige'' only really matters at postgraduate level.

Why? And source please...
Yikes, he sounds like the typical 18-year-old undergrad. It is a pretty narrow way to look at higher education. Flexible education is brilliant. I have had similar issues, I left my predicted AAA at A2 for a year of operations and stints in hospital, I began studying with the OU and people seem to undermine institutions that offer flexible HE.

Your friend is just naive and young. UCL is a good university, but a degree is a degree. Focus on getting a solid classification and a foot in on the employment ladder.

Institutions must have chartered status from the privy council to award degrees. I have a family friend who managed to get an LLB through the Open University. He now owns a very successful local law firm. He also only has a 2.2 I believe!
Reply 71
Original post by Doonesbury
Why? And source please...

Well for subjects like Medicine, Law, Vet.Sci etc You are ultimately coming out with the same degree and will eventually become qualified in your respective field. There can be Oxbridge and Liverpool graduates in the same hospital.

You can't get anywhere in Science without a Ph.D. Firstly you need a good reference from an academic to even get in the door, no matter if you went to Oxbridge or Newcastle. You next need to be motivated, have at least a 2:1 and usually some experience. Being a graduate of UCl isn't that much of a big deal without a solid reference and even some experience when applying for a Ph.D.

The Ph.D should be with a respected academic who generally are present at what people consider the more prestigious unis (not saying all are).

For the humanities, I will say that prestige probably matters a bit more simply due to the competition for jobs however its nothing like people on TSR makes it out to be.

Source: Talking to various Chemistry Ph.D students.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by _NMcC_
Well for subjects like Medicine, Law, Vet.Sci etc You are ultimately coming out with the same degree and will eventually become qualified in your respective field. There can be Oxbridge and Liverpool graduates in the same hospital.

You can't get anywhere in Science without a Ph.D. Firstly you need a good reference from an academic to even get in the door, no matter if you went to Oxbridge or Newcastle. You next need to be motivated, have at least a 2:1 and usually some experience. Being a graduate of UCl isn't that much of a big deal without a solid reference and even some experience when applying for a Ph.D.

For the humanities, I will say that prestige probably matters a bit more simply due to the competition for jobs however its nothing like people on TSR makes it out to be.

Source: Talking to various Chemistry Ph.D students.

So you haven't said why university prestige matters more for postgrads. You've basically indicated it doesn't... (which is the correct answer :wink:)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by Doonesbury
So you haven't said why university prestige matters more for postgrads. You've even indicated it doesn't...

My point is more that prestige doesn't matter at undergrad and only a bit at postgraduate.
It doesn’t matter where you go, but rather what you do when you get there.
thanks! i'm feeling so much better now, i know i shouldn't care that much about what others say but somehow it just got to me... i really want to study and work, i am a bit jealous that he gets so much money from his parents to help him with living costs and he doesn't even have to work (just works part time). jealous is a wrong word in this context but i just wish he never said that, i wouldn't even think about this right now, making myself so sad over something so stupid

I went to birkbeck. I got my degree despite work in full time and having a young baby to look after. Birkbeck is incredibly highly regarded. You just need to look at some of its lecturers to see that. Go birkbeck!!!!!
Original post by squeakysquirrel
I went to birkbeck. I got my degree despite work in full time and having a young baby to look after. Birkbeck is incredibly highly regarded. You just need to look at some of its lecturers to see that. Go birkbeck!!!!!

Thank you! I'm so anxious about it but I'll be studying MSc there so it's just one year (decided to have 2-3 evenins a week than less and finish in one year rather than two).
Update: I'm applying to QMUL, too. See how I feel if/when I get an offer.
Having the will to go to pretty much any university should be appreciated (not that other options aren’t good but it takes a lot of dedication) so it doesn’t really matter
Is this just uni banter or is he/she being dead serious? If the latter, they are no longer your friend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending