The Student Room Group

Really unsure what to do after my undergraduate course ends

Hey guys,

Just looking for some advice really, or to see if anyone has been in a similar situation.

So I'm coming to the end of my undergraduate degree (Sociology and Education), and have no idea what I'm doing next. I've already established that I want to continue living in my current Uni city (Cardiff) as I've put the deposit down for my accommodation for next year, however as yet I have no idea what to do course wise at Uni.

Initially I was going to do a PGCE (Post Compulsory) course as the main goal was always to go into teaching. However upon reflecting, I feel like I have nowhere near enough of an understanding of Sociology myself to be able to teach it to others at a further education level, so I'm doubting whether this would really be the right route for me anymore. Is it normal to feel like you don't know the basics of your own degree?! Primary teaching is kind of out of the question anymore either due to the entry requirements of having so much work experience beforehand (which I do not have, or have time to gain due to work etc).

My other issue is funding and student finance, which looking at just now has confused me immensely. It appears as though if I were to do a masters course in a subject (something education related perhaps), I would only get a loan of around 10 thousand but would still have to pay the course fees myself so would be left would hardly anything to live on. It also saddens me how being from England (but studying in Wales), I've always gotten far less student finance, but that's another story! :P

Right now I would be happy just doing another undergraduate degree in a different subject, for a few years until I've had chance to think things through properly, as I just love being here learning new things, but I know this isn't an option either again due to student finance. (I should probably mention I'm a mature student at 27, and have no assistance from family etc).

I really have no idea where to go from here, whether my confidence has increased enough yet for me to even attempt taking on some kind of teaching course, and what kind of funding is available etc. Outside of sociology and education, I'm very musical (can play various instruments and know most music theory etc, but sadly didn't do A-levels and did an access to HE course so most likely wouldn't get onto anything music related at Uni), and I've also kind of always wanted to start my own business, but I doubt that is practical too right now. :P I'm just very confused and It's starting to worry me quite a bit now as I'm aware that in a few months my current course will have ended but I'll still need finance (alongside my part time job) to pay for the new house!

Does anyone else ever struggle deciding what to do when it comes to the end of your undergraduate degree or is it just me? :P

Cheers guys!
Original post by Martini6
Hey guys,

Just looking for some advice really, or to see if anyone has been in a similar situation.

So I'm coming to the end of my undergraduate degree (Sociology and Education), and have no idea what I'm doing next. I've already established that I want to continue living in my current Uni city (Cardiff) as I've put the deposit down for my accommodation for next year, however as yet I have no idea what to do course wise at Uni.

Initially I was going to do a PGCE (Post Compulsory) course as the main goal was always to go into teaching. However upon reflecting, I feel like I have nowhere near enough of an understanding of Sociology myself to be able to teach it to others at a further education level, so I'm doubting whether this would really be the right route for me anymore. Is it normal to feel like you don't know the basics of your own degree?! Primary teaching is kind of out of the question anymore either due to the entry requirements of having so much work experience beforehand (which I do not have, or have time to gain due to work etc).

My other issue is funding and student finance, which looking at just now has confused me immensely. It appears as though if I were to do a masters course in a subject (something education related perhaps), I would only get a loan of around 10 thousand but would still have to pay the course fees myself so would be left would hardly anything to live on. It also saddens me how being from England (but studying in Wales), I've always gotten far less student finance, but that's another story! :P

Right now I would be happy just doing another undergraduate degree in a different subject, for a few years until I've had chance to think things through properly, as I just love being here learning new things, but I know this isn't an option either again due to student finance. (I should probably mention I'm a mature student at 27, and have no assistance from family etc).

I really have no idea where to go from here, whether my confidence has increased enough yet for me to even attempt taking on some kind of teaching course, and what kind of funding is available etc. Outside of sociology and education, I'm very musical (can play various instruments and know most music theory etc, but sadly didn't do A-levels and did an access to HE course so most likely wouldn't get onto anything music related at Uni), and I've also kind of always wanted to start my own business, but I doubt that is practical too right now. :P I'm just very confused and It's starting to worry me quite a bit now as I'm aware that in a few months my current course will have ended but I'll still need finance (alongside my part time job) to pay for the new house!

Does anyone else ever struggle deciding what to do when it comes to the end of your undergraduate degree or is it just me? :P

Cheers guys!

Go and book appointments with a careers adviser. Mt concern is you seem to want to be a perpetual student and are committing without direction.
https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/careers-advice
Bluntly, you're fast approaching your 30s, and shouldn't have tied yourself to any financial outgoings without those being part of a wider plan. You've had at least a decade to work out your goals, so I don't think a forum will necessarily provide you all the answers. Let's see.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Go and book appointments with a careers adviser. Mt concern is you seem to want to be a perpetual student and are committing without direction.
https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/careers-advice

Original post by DrSocSciences
Bluntly, you're fast approaching your 30s, and shouldn't have tied yourself to any financial outgoings without those being part of a wider plan. You've had at least a decade to work out your goals, so I don't think a forum will necessarily provide you all the answers. Let's see.

Thanks for the replies guys. Seeing a careers adviser would be a good shout actually so thanks. I think my main problem at the moment is stemming from a lack of confidence that I'll be able to follow things through. I feel like having a degree in sociology should mean that you're capable of teaching it at A-level but I still feel like I don't understand the subject well enough if that makes sense. Maybe because I did an access course to get into Uni so missed out on doing A-level sociology myself perhaps?

I actually left college early after I finished school and ended up working for 6 years in retail before deciding to go back into education as I felt retail wasn't really for me anymore. I think doing this course has sparked my interest in other areas that I hadn't really thought about before though. I would love to pursue some kind of degree in psychology or similar, since I really enjoyed the psychology related modules on my course, but I know that student finance only finances one undergraduate course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending