The Student Room Group

Surviving university on a broken foot?

Long story short, I fell off a stool and broke my foot last Wednesday (spent four days sitting around with an ice pack on it feeling sorry for myself thinking it was just a bad sprain, before heading to minor injuries earlier today to get it checked and finding out I've fractured three metatarsal bones!). I've got an appointment with orthopedics tomorrow to get it investigated further, but it looks like I'll be hopping around with a cast and crutches for the rest of this academic term, which is... not ideal.

I'm a postgrad literature student, so I only have one or two classes a week plus a work placement roughly once a week; said placement pretty much just involves sitting at a desk sorting papers all day and I can get a lift there, so I feel like it could be manageable...? And it's not like being unable to walk is going to stop me from reading or doing research - if anything it'll help pass the time while I'm sat around trying to recover. Only real problem is that my university campus (and the whole city, really) is an inaccessible hellscape due to steep hills and constant roadworks, which rules out most extracurricular and social stuff. I just really, really don't want to have to take a leave of absence and sit around my parents' house for months waiting until I can retake my classes, and then returning and having to try and get back into the swing of studying again...

Has anyone else managed almost a full academic term with an injury that needed crutches? I could really use some advice right now.
Original post by braginskayas
Long story short, I fell off a stool and broke my foot last Wednesday (spent four days sitting around with an ice pack on it feeling sorry for myself thinking it was just a bad sprain, before heading to minor injuries earlier today to get it checked and finding out I've fractured three metatarsal bones!). I've got an appointment with orthopedics tomorrow to get it investigated further, but it looks like I'll be hopping around with a cast and crutches for the rest of this academic term, which is... not ideal.

I'm a postgrad literature student, so I only have one or two classes a week plus a work placement roughly once a week; said placement pretty much just involves sitting at a desk sorting papers all day and I can get a lift there, so I feel like it could be manageable...? And it's not like being unable to walk is going to stop me from reading or doing research - if anything it'll help pass the time while I'm sat around trying to recover. Only real problem is that my university campus (and the whole city, really) is an inaccessible hellscape due to steep hills and constant roadworks, which rules out most extracurricular and social stuff. I just really, really don't want to have to take a leave of absence and sit around my parents' house for months waiting until I can retake my classes, and then returning and having to try and get back into the swing of studying again...

Has anyone else managed almost a full academic term with an injury that needed crutches? I could really use some advice right now.

I’m pretty worried about being in the same situation actually because I have hurt my foot and have an appointment tomorrow to see the damage ! I’m a postgrad law student so my timetables is similar to yours , I’ve been limping for the whole week haha.

Tbh I don’t think you need to worry, maybe just allow some more time to get to places ... it’s taking me twice as long at the minute. But otherwise , it doesn’t affect my work.

If it does begin to drag you down , speak to your tutors sooner rather then later about potential extensions ect. Hopefully , though , it won’t get that far .

Best of luck xox
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Supernova36
I’m pretty worried about being in the same situation actually because I have hurt my foot and have an appointment tomorrow to see the damage ! I’m a postgrad law student so my timetables is similar to yours , I’ve been limping for the whole week haha.

Tbh I don’t think you need to worry, maybe just allow some more time to get to places ... it’s taking me twice as long at the minute. But otherwise , it doesn’t affect my work.

If it does begin to drag you down , speak to your tutors sooner rather then later about potential extensions ect. Hopefully , though , it won’t get that far .

Best of luck xox

Sorry to hear you've been injured too! I hope it turns out to be just a sprain rather than a fracture like mine.

I went to orthopedics yesterday and they told me that it was a stable break and should heal on its own without surgery - apparently I'm lucky as nothing got displaced or dislocated, which often happens with these sorts of injuries! They've stuck me in one of those moon boot things (better than plaster at least) until my follow-up in mid-April, and told me to use crutches until I can stand/walk on the foot without it hurting. Thankfully it looks like I won't miss too much uni, as half my lectures before Easter are cancelled because of the UCU strikes anyway and the people at my placement have given me the go-ahead to work downstairs so it's more accessible! Relieved, but also not looking forward to the inconvenience of not being able to walk for the next two months.

Quick Reply

Latest