The Student Room Group

Tesco job help! (Urgent)

I did a month of night shifts for Tesco last year in December/November.

They have contacted me saying if I am interested in a job. I have responded and they say to just wait for the paperwork to be sorted out. (Like 5/6 days ago now.)

I had a call today from somewhere I applied too. (A OneStop Store, part of Tesco.)

I have an interview with them tomorrow.

Will going to this interview or anything, ruin my chances of getting the other Tesco job?

I am confused as hell. I don't 100% trust the first job since it has been a while, and this could be a great job for me if I pass the interview. Thing is the first job is much better in terms of hours, pay and security. (I am almost guaranteed this job since I worked there before and there is an opening.)

I have no idea what to do, should I go to the interview? Will it affect the chances of getting that other job?

Let's say I got the job at the one-stop store, if I got a callback or whatever from the other job could I transition to it easily? What would be my options at that point?
Firstly - Congrats on the job interview! I hear Tesco look after their staff.
Secondly - Nope. Your interview will not affect your chances of getting a separate job.
As for if both jobs get back to you: don't sweat it. Pick whichever gets back to you first, and if the preferred calls you back after, call the original and politely decline. Hell, you could even say 'I'm still working in Tesco, just a different part!'
Good luck!
(This is very appropriate as I actually have a job interview tomorrow as well :wink: )
Original post by Arcade22
Firstly - Congrats on the job interview! I hear Tesco look after their staff.
Secondly - Nope. Your interview will not affect your chances of getting a separate job.
As for if both jobs get back to you: don't sweat it. Pick whichever gets back to you first, and if the preferred calls you back after, call the original and politely decline. Hell, you could even say 'I'm still working in Tesco, just a different part!'
Good luck!
(This is very appropriate as I actually have a job interview tomorrow as well :wink: )

Thanks for the reply, but one thing. What if I get the job from one-stop and start working there and get a call after a few shifts from the other job? Would I be able to leave so suddenly? Usually, you would have to tell them weeks in advance and if I did do that I doubt the other job would wait that long.

Thanks in advance! :tongue:
Original post by monkeyman0121
Thanks for the reply, but one thing. What if I get the job from one-stop and start working there and get a call after a few shifts from the other job? Would I be able to leave so suddenly? Usually, you would have to tell them weeks in advance and if I did do that I doubt the other job would wait that long.

Thanks in advance! :tongue:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is for a part time position? On average, you need to give a weeks notice of quitting. If you explained that situation, (considering it's the same firm) they should be fine with it. But just double check your contract when you get it :smile:
Original post by Arcade22
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is for a part time position? On average, you need to give a weeks notice of quitting. If you explained that situation, (considering it's the same firm) they should be fine with it. But just double check your contract when you get it :smile:

Yes, it is for a part-time position. Ok thanks for the info, I will look carefully. Also, what are the chances that they get me to sign a contract there for the interview? To be honest, I would like them to think it over a bit and decide carefully just in case I get a call a day after from the other job but I have signed a contract the day before.
I did a month of night shifts for Tesco last year in December/November.

They have contacted me saying if I am interested in a job. I have responded and they say to just wait for the paperwork to be sorted out. (Like 5/6 days ago now.)

I had a call today from somewhere I applied too. (A OneStop Store, part of Tesco.)

I have an interview with them tomorrow.

Will going to this interview or anything, ruin my chances of getting the other Tesco job?

I am confused as hell. I don't 100% trust the first job since it has been a while, and this could be a great job for me if I pass the interview. Thing is the first job is much better in terms of hours, pay and security. (I am almost guaranteed this job since I worked there before and there is an opening.)

I have no idea what to do, should I go to the interview? Will it affect the chances of getting that other job?

Let's say I got the job at the one-stop store, if I got a callback or whatever from the other job could I transition to it easily? What would be my options at that point?

You should be fine having an interview with Onestop as they're the same company, but I would recommend that you stay with Tesco, I've heard One Stop treat their staff really poorly and they're shops are always messy
Original post by Luke5125
You should be fine having an interview with Onestop as they're the same company, but I would recommend that you stay with Tesco, I've heard One Stop treat their staff really poorly and they're shops are always messy

Ok, thanks for the help! What type of clothing would you suggest I wear?
Formal but not to formal, really depends on what sort of role you applied for. Try to be smarter if its customer facing but back office / warehouse can be more causal
Yes, it is for a part-time position. Ok thanks for the info, I will look carefully. Also, what are the chances that they get me to sign a contract there for the interview? To be honest, I would like them to think it over a bit and decide carefully just in case I get a call a day after from the other job but I have signed a contract the day before.

Yeeaaah thinking about it you probably won't get a contract there and then my bad 😅

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending