The Student Room Group

Is my sixth form being unfair?

So there is a university search fair at the emirates stadium tomorrow, it sound really useful because loads of universities, apprenticeships and colleges will be there and there will be talks about applying, courses, apprenticeships

But my sixth form has only decided to take about 30 people to the trip. I would understand if there was a limit to the amount of people you could bring but I know some people from others schools whose school are taking their whole year.

They’ve created a group called the ‘aim-high sixth formers’ which they give these opportunities and email useful information, leaving the rest of us to do this all ourselves.

I think it’s rude and unfair that we aren’t being offered the same opportunities.

Please share your thoughts because I want to know if my annoyance is justified.
(edited 6 years ago)
That does seem quite unfair, and I would be annoyed too.
I feel like we go to the same place. Even at my sixth form theres a group of students who are oxbridge potentials and they are flattered and pampered endlessly.
Original post by owen1072
Exactly, I think it’s rude that they don’t give the same opportunities to everyone, I feel like the rest of us are just left to do it all for ourselves

I'm only in year 9, but they have a thing for people who are likely to go to uni at my school - and others in parts of Bristol.

They just picked all of the smart kids who had a Bristol post code in year 9 and year 10 lmao
It is ridiculous. Even in lower school so Yr 7-11 no one cared about the middle students. Either you had to be ultra smart or misbehaving to have any attention paid to you. And when you did it was to say that youre underachieving.
So there is a university search fair at the emirates stadium tomorrow, it sound really useful because loads of universities, apprenticeships and colleges will be there and there will be talks about applying, courses and university life.

But my sixth form has only decided to take about 30 people to the trip even though there is no limit to space, and when we (who weren’t invited) asked why everyone isn’t invited they said that our grades aren’t high enough.

They’ve created a group called the ‘aim-high sixth formers’ which they give these opportunities and email useful information, leaving the rest of us to do this all ourselves.

I think it’s rude and unfair that we aren’t being offered the same opportunities. My grades aren’t even that bad, I’m on two A’s and a B in physics, maths and computer science. But apparently, to be put in this high aimers group it is based on your average gcse grade and your current target grades.

Please share your thoughts because I want to know if my anger is justified.

I agree, this does seem unfair - why not put up a stink about it to them?
Original post by Lord Nutter
I agree, this does seem unfair - why not put up a stink about it to them?

No one cares. These are the types of schools where you get asked if you even go to the school and the senior leadership team knows you by a grade or number.
Yes, it’s absolutely unfair and similar things happen at every stage of schooling.

Maybe you could ask some of your teachers about it if school management as a whole is not forthcoming. I am sure some teachers would be glad to help disseminate helpful information more widely.
@Lord Nutter yes today a group of us who were annoyed asked our sixth form manager (who organised it) why he has not invited everyone and he said that we don’t have good enough grades to get into top universities. Considering we haven’t even done our end of year 12 exams I think this is ridiculous.

It's terrible when you think about it as if you are not part of that sort of special circle you're more likely to be looked down upon.

But I get it, you know teachers love their oxbridge potentials - a good bragging source for the school if they do get in.
Reply 9
So there is a university search fair at the emirates stadium tomorrow, it sound really useful because loads of universities, apprenticeships and colleges will be there and there will be talks about applying, courses and university life.

But my sixth form has only decided to take about 30 people to the trip even though there is no limit to space, and when we (who weren’t invited) asked why everyone isn’t invited they said that our grades aren’t high enough.

I think it’s rude and unfair that we aren’t being offered the same opportunities. My grades aren’t even that bad, I’m on two A’s and a B in physics, maths and computer science. But apparently, to be put in this high aimers group it is based on your average gcse grade and your current target grades.

Please share your thoughts because I want to know if my anger is justified.

Sounds a lot like my school, until parents started complaining. If I were you I'd just take the day off and go on my own or with a friend.
If I were you, I would take the day off and go to the event myself if possible. Also, if you get your parents to contact the School saying that they aren’t happy and that they think it’s not fair, the School might be more likely to do something.
Reply 11
Original post by kkboyk
Sounds a lot like my school, until parents started complaining. If I were you I'd just take the day off and go on my own or with a friend.

Haha that’s exactly what I’m doing
Original post by Lord Nutter
It's terrible when you think about it as if you are not part of that sort of special circle you're more likely to be looked down upon.

But I get it, you know teachers love their oxbridge potentials - a good bragging source for the school if they do get in.

Not every school or teacher is like this - Oxbridge is not the best place to go for some degrees anyway.
Wow that’s horrible. I’d definitely complain about this as it’s not fair that others are getting advantages like this - careers and university advice should be available to everyone. My school took the entire sixth form twice to a UCAS convention in London last year, regardless of grades as it would benefit everyone.

As I said, defo ask about this.
In our school, it is so pathetic that the 'smart' kids are offered everything even going to Grade booster workshops and university lectures that they haven't applied for. As a year group we have attempted to address this issue with our head of year, his reaction is that if some of us just aren't capable of achieving higher grades what is the point of aiming higher?
@Lord Nutter yes today a group of us who were annoyed asked our sixth form manager (who organised it) why he has not invited everyone and he said that we don’t have good enough grades to get into top universities. Considering we haven’t even done our end of year 12 exams I think this is ridiculous.

Wow, your in year 12 and they are still attempting to put you down. You might aswell go to these fairs etc independently as you need the information and to get into university. The smart students are going to be the ones who all the attention through out the year is drawn to but when they mess up on results day with student finance or university admissions they will be disregarded. Just try harder and harder and hopefully you'll get into university. Simply ignore the people who are that negative in their mindset trying to tell you that you're grades aren't good when you are half way through learning A-Level content.

Educational psychology and student achievement doesn't seem to be on the premise of these schools and colleges.
Reply 16
Original post by Pearlfection1
Wow, your in year 12 and they are still attempting to put you down. You might aswell go to these fairs etc independently as you need the information and to get into university. The smart students are going to be the ones who all the attention through out the year is drawn to but when they mess up on results day with student finance or university admissions they will be disregarded. Just try harder and harder and hopefully you'll get into university. Simply ignore the people who are that negative in their mindset trying to tell you that you're grades aren't good when you are half way through learning A-Level content.

Educational psychology and student achievement doesn't seem to be on the premise of these schools and colleges.

yes, I’m going to the university fair in a few hours with a few others who weren’t invited. It will be good but we will still miss out on seminars that the ‘smart kids’ from my school get because they came as a group. Also idk if I said this but I know people from other schools where their whole year is going
yes, I’m going to the university fair in a few hours with a few others who weren’t invited. It will be good but we will still miss out on seminars that the ‘smart kids’ from my school get because they came as a group. Also idk if I said this but I know people from other schools where their whole year is going

Even I know people who are failing their A-Levels in other sixth forms however having the opportunity to go to Uni Fairs etc. Book yourself into seminars etc- UCL, City and other universities often even have online seminars which you can participate in and public lectures which you can attend.
Reply 18
So I just got back from it, it was so useful and it was about everything like apprenticeships, HE colleges, unis, ucas, personal statements. It was really helpful and the whole of my year could’ve used that smh
That’s happened to me pretty much all the way through high school! It’s a little better in my sixth form, you should cause a fuss i think. People who shout the loudest get attention

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending