The Student Room Group

How to lose weight and become good looking

Scroll to see replies

Eat less.
Still making an effort to say goodbye to the Glaswegian accent and my tie to Glasgow full stop. It does me no favours.
Original post by Joe2001
It would make me LESS attractive if I had the Glaswegian accent, which essentially ties me to being from that awful city.

I'm gonna be honest - no one identifies your accent... maybe other Scottish people.

If I heard you talking i'd be like 'Oh a Scottish dude' not 'BY GOD! He's Glaswegian, I bet shoots heroin in his big toe and beats foxes to death with bottle of buckfast.'
Original post by Billyboxford
I'm gonna be honest - no one identifies your accent... maybe other Scottish people.

If I heard you talking i'd be like 'Oh a Scottish dude' not 'BY GOD! He's Glaswegian, I bet shoots heroin in his big toe and beats foxes to death with bottle of buckfast.'

I don't want to be identified as Scottish either. I would rather have nothing to do with the country except for my family. I don't think it is attractive personally.
When asked my nationality, I would call myself British, not Scottish.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 64
Go to the gym of course, start doing loads of cardio and some weight training, after you lose a good amount of fat start focusing on the weight training. As for good looking, start taking care of your skin (get those spots under control, keep facial hair tidy or clean and just use products that'll make you look refereshed and give your face that glow, no one likes a dull face!), get a good haircut (or dont get one, that usually works for me! big hair can e attractive if you can style it right but do keep it tidy), wear nice clothes, smell nice, always smile, work on your personality, start being charasmatic and just be a positive force!

How you channel yourself is also important, you could look amazing but come across as weird, dumb, ignorant, etc etc. When people say be confident, they often assume it just means not being awkward and being out there but being confident is all about being comfortble in yourself. Someone who forces confidence but is out there won't come off as pleasent but someone who might be a little awkward because they're introverted will be attractive if they embrace that. So be comfortable and embrace yourself, dont try and be something you're not - thats the key to confidence.
There's not really anything about Glasgow to be proud of. I was on vacation last summer on a Caribbean cruise and the Scottish folks working on there recognized where I was from straight away. It was kind of them to talk to me, but I don't want to identify as Scottish as I don't feel it is a good thing. England is better.
Don't feel sorry for me, I've always been like that.

I want to work onboard cruise ships in my career, and certainly don't want to be looked at as the "Scottish guy".
Being "Scottish", I feel a bit inferior to English people. Plus, I don't like Scotland as a place. I have always felt more attachment to England, particularly London. English accents are easier on the ears than Scottish ones, and I just don't want people to identify me as the "Scottish guy" because it isn't a country which I want to identify as being from. It is simply the country where I have been born and raised. That's all it means to me. I feel like I can't be anything that I want for as long as the Glaswegian label is attached to me.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Joe2001
My thoughts are to limit junk food intake to 1 item per day, and for select days in the week, to cut down to 2 meals per day. In addition, I am getting off the train one station early and walking a bit further to get to school.

I wouldn’t recommend cutting down to two meals a day; research shows that it’s healthier to have lots of small meals, so don’t avoid snacking/multiple meals, just change what you’re eating. The one junk item a day rule will help though! Perhaps give yourself a cheat day rather than monitoring every day though, perhaps every Saturday. Then you won’t miss the food so much and are more likely to stick with the new routine.

I also recommend you get creative in the kitchen; if you understand food and cooking then you’ll have an easier time keeping a varied diet and that will keep things more interesting.

I’d suggest some small steps to start with might be things like substituting white bread for brown, swap out some of your pasta for whole meal, introduce a side-salad to replace some of each meal etc.
Original post by carrotstar
I wouldn’t recommend cutting down to two meals a day; research shows that it’s healthier to have lots of small meals, so don’t avoid snacking/multiple meals, just change what you’re eating. The one junk item a day rule will help though! Perhaps give yourself a cheat day rather than monitoring every day though, perhaps every Saturday. Then you won’t miss the food so much and are more likely to stick with the new routine.

I also recommend you get creative in the kitchen; if you understand food and cooking then you’ll have an easier time keeping a varied diet and that will keep things more interesting.

I’d suggest some small steps to start with might be things like substituting white bread for brown, swap out some of your pasta for whole meal, introduce a side-salad to replace some of each meal etc.

I don't really cook, so I can't necessarily control what I am given, but thanks for your other tips. I think the 1 junk food a day rule might be a decent solution, and avoiding snacking between meals.
Original post by Joe2001
I don't really cook, so I can't necessarily control what I am given, but thanks for your other tips. I think the 1 junk food a day rule might be a decent solution, and avoiding snacking between meals.

You don’t cook... so give it a go? Start simple with pasta, beans on toast and gradually work your way up. Maybe it’s not for you but you might also find you love it! Knowing my food in terms of cooking reassures me that I know what I’m eating, and it can work out a lot cheaper as well!
I might sound as if I am trying to be something that I am not, but losing my Scottishness would make me very happy. If in 5 years, people can't tell where I am from, then I can say that I have successfully erased my links to Glasgow. Being Glaswegian will get me nowhere in the life that I want to live.
You don’t cook... so give it a go? Start simple with pasta, beans on toast and gradually work your way up. Maybe it’s not for you but you might also find you love it! Knowing my food in terms of cooking reassures me that I know what I’m eating, and it can work out a lot cheaper as well!

Well, I can do beans on toast. It's a bit tougher if I am living with parents, but will give it a go once I move out in 18 months.
Original post by Joe2001
Well, I can do beans on toast. It's a bit tougher if I am living with parents, but will give it a go once I move out in 18 months.

Or you could ask them to help you out? Even if they don’t cook you could try cooking one night a week for the family. I used to do that before I went to uni and there were a few disasters but I’m so glad I did it wrong at home!

Edit: I’d also love my boyfriend to have a Scottish accent, I find it so hot 😍
(edited 6 years ago)
Or you could ask them to help you out? Even if they don’t cook you could try cooking one night a week for the family. I used to do that before I went to uni and there were a few disasters but I’m so glad I did it wrong at home!
Edit: I’d also love my boyfriend to have a Scottish accent, I find it so hot 😍

My parents aren't great cooks, so I think that both me and my younger sister would rather give it a try ourselves. Will wait until I am done with my exams for this year as they seem quite intent on me not doing anything in the kitchen if I have studying to do, even if I offer.

BTW - I personally find the Scottish accent, and being from Scotland in general to be a complete turn off. English all the way for me! It's rare that I have found one attractive, with the exception of the character Oliver Wood from Harry Potter. He managed to make the Scottish accent sound really sexy, so hats off to him.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Joe2001
Sorry if I am asking too many questions on this forum, but I need to talk to people, so here I am!

I am a 16 year old guy and have been overweight for several years. I am fed up with it and want to change, especially because I want to get a boyfriend in the not too distant future. I wouldn't want to date an overweight person, so ultimately I need to lose weight myself before putting myself on the market. In addition, I want to be good looking and generally attractive. I am worried that this may hold me back.

Does anyone have some tips?

Thanks!

If you're someone who enjoys your food, especially the unhealthy kind, then don't eliminate the things you like just to look a certain way! It's easy, trust me
- smaller portions of junk food, bigger portions of healthy food.
- you only need to "diet" a few days per week. So Tuesdays and Thursdays eat less junk and cut extra calories. Rest of the days exercise for 30-45 mins doing cardio, weights etc whatever you want to do!
- DROWN YOURSELF IN WATER. Not literally but yeah, lots of h20. If you don't like water then a few glasses of semi-skimmed milk plus it has lots of goodness which means health benefits! Pure orange juice and apple juice is good too! Fizzy and sugary drinks are the enemies here!
- soak up vitamin D! Not too much though for obvious reasons. I find spending a couple of hours in the morning or late afternoon outside when the sun is shining gives a healthy glow.
- spend as much time as you can outside in the fresh air! Whether that's through exercising e.g. biking, walking, running, hiking, working, meeting friends just find an excuse to always be outside!!! Fresh air does wonders for the skin and overall look of your face and makes your eyes look brighter!
Hmmm what else...
Dress in clothes that compliment you and make you feel good!
Get your daily sugar fix otherwise you'll go mad trust me that's if you're into sugary treats like me!
- just a few tips I find helps for me and everyone else I know!
...btw... did anyone ever tell you intelligence, humour and kindness are the most atttactive qualities of them all?! The aim should be to look after yourself and make YOU feel good so YOU will look good. Then it will fall into place and the boy will come along at the right time.
Trust me!
Deleted
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Joe2001
My parents aren't great cooks, so I think that both me and my younger sister would rather give it a try ourselves. Will wait until I am done with my exams for this year as they seem quite intent on me not doing anything in the kitchen if I have studying to do, even if I offer.

BTW - I personally find the Scottish accent, and being from Scotland in general to be a complete turn off. English all the way for me! It's rare that I have found one attractive, with the exception of the character Oliver Wood from Harry Potter. He managed to make the Scottish accent sound really sexy, so hats off to him.

That’s fair enough.

I think it’s just a case of we always want what we don’t have. I’d love an accent of any sort, but people can’t tell where in the UK I come from 😂 I’d also love to have darker skin which actually matches a foundation colour, and to lose the freckles. I’d love to be able to afford to buy a house as soon as I leave uni. I’d love to have the focus to sit and study without distraction.

If we ever gain what we wish for, then we miss the past. Want fame? I bet the majority of people with it would love a break from it. Want long, blonde, soft hair? I bet those with it find it expensive and time-consuming to look after!

You just have to find the positives in what you have; what do you have that other people might envy? It’s hard to see it in yourself but I promise there’s a long list of things there!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AngelaVickers
If you're someone who enjoys your food, especially the unhealthy kind, then don't eliminate the things you like just to look a certain way! It's easy, trust me
- smaller portions of junk food, bigger portions of healthy food.
- you only need to "diet" a few days per week. So Tuesdays and Thursdays eat less junk and cut extra calories. Rest of the days exercise for 30-45 mins doing cardio, weights etc whatever you want to do!
- DROWN YOURSELF IN WATER. Not literally but yeah, lots of h20. If you don't like water then a few glasses of semi-skimmed milk plus it has lots of goodness which means health benefits! Pure orange juice and apple juice is good too! Fizzy and sugary drinks are the enemies here!
- soak up vitamin D! Not too much though for obvious reasons. I find spending a couple of hours in the morning or late afternoon outside when the sun is shining gives a healthy glow.
- spend as much time as you can outside in the fresh air! Whether that's through exercising e.g. biking, walking, running, hiking, working, meeting friends just find an excuse to always be outside!!! Fresh air does wonders for the skin and overall look of your face and makes your eyes look brighter!
Hmmm what else...
Dress in clothes that compliment you and make you feel good!
Get your daily sugar fix otherwise you'll go mad trust me that's if you're into sugary treats like me!
- just a few tips I find helps for me and everyone else I know!
...btw... did anyone ever tell you intelligence, humour and kindness are the most atttactive qualities of them all?! The aim should be to look after yourself and make YOU feel good so YOU will look good. Then it will fall into place and the boy will come along at the right time.
Trust me!

Thanks for all of your tips. They are all realistic and manageable for me to work on.
Kindness, humor, intelligence AND attractiveness are the 4 key factors to a relationship, for me.
Bumping this thread because people are questioning why I don't want to identify as Scottish:
1) Some of the areas around me are among the lowest in terms of life expectancy in the UK.
2) Glasgow itself. A dull city and devoid of character. Especially Sauchiehall Street.
3) Too many Glaswegians are intimidating, and some are even downright aggressive.
4) Many of the areas (especially the suburbs) are very run down.
5) Lack of gay community in Glasgow. I can't be gay and Glaswegian.
6) The suburbs are full of overly religious people, especially my town.
7) Accent - we've covered that in enough detail.
8) Nothing interesting to do in the area.

Yet people still wonder why I don't honour my Glaswegian heritage. For everything that I want to be, I can't identify as Glaswegian.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending