The Student Room Group

third day driving, accidentally scraped car

Got my car on Sunday, drove into a KFC car park and on my way out of a parking space clipped the car next to me. Total accident, felt like nothing so drove home, then realised paint was scraped off my car and side of the bumper had changed shape. Now totally panicking. Haven’t left details and have no idea what the car looked like or the number plate. No idea what to do. How likely is it I’m going to get a criminal conviction?
Reply 1
how big is it? and you won't get one unless you seriously damaged the other car and the people in it and drove off
Reply 2
Original post by storm95
how big is it? and you won't get one unless you seriously damaged the other car and the people in it and drove off

The damage? Large area of front bumper is pretty scuffed, managed to pin the bumper back into place... making me wonder how bad the other car is...

There was no one in the car and no one came to speak to me though I was at the car park for a while around the area
Reply 3
If there's damage they'll likely report it to the Police and they'll access cameras in the car park to check for the footage, if any.
You should be honest and make sure you do everything properly; i.e remember you also have an obligation to inform your insurer of the incident as soon as you've realised what's happened to your car.
(edited 6 years ago)
Call up 101, tell them what happened, when and where; and that should cover you legally.

Please pay more attention when driving though.
Original post by PomHill
The damage? Large area of front bumper is pretty scuffed, managed to pin the bumper back into place... making me wonder how bad the other car is...

There was no one in the car and no one came to speak to me though I was at the car park for a while around the area

You're not anon anymore
Report it via calling 101. Because if they report it and you get picked up on that camera, you're in trouble.
Original post by PomHill

You're having to pin your bumper back into place and this 'felt like nothing'? You didn't even get out and check the other car?

This is extremely bad form OP.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
You're having to pin your bumper back into place and this 'felt like nothing'? You didn't even get out and check the other car?

My biggest nightmare is people like this.
Original post by nevershear
My biggest nightmare is people like this.

Kinda makes sense when you wonder why people who drive nice cars park in 2 spaces. Douche move but imagine getting that sort of car scraped and the guy just f's off
Original post by gapyearlads
Kinda makes sense when you wonder why people who drive nice cars park in 2 spaces. Douche move but imagine getting that sort of car scraped and the guy just f's off

Hey as long as they buy two tickets I'm cool with it because I somewhat understand it :biggrin:

Even at work I will never park on the first floor, and all the nice cars are on the third and forth floors for good reason. Lazy idiots park on the first two floors (as well as the Gate Gourmet crew who literally don't give a **** and think they're "back home" where it's every man for himself, and they all drive old rustbucket peugeots and corsas for cars because the wages for them are borderline below minimum) and if you want a door whacking into the side of your car every day, that's one way to make it happen.
Original post by TimmonaPortella

This. Sounds like *******s to me. How dare you scrape someone else's property and not even bother to get out and assess the damage. A scrape which causes damage to your car as significant as that cannot have felt like nothing.

This is why I always park as far away from everyone else as I can, cannot trust most people to treat my car with the respect I do!
what kind of car do you have
Original post by nevershear
Hey as long as they buy two tickets I'm cool with it because I somewhat understand it :biggrin:

Even at work I will never park on the first floor, and all the nice cars are on the third and forth floors for good reason. Lazy idiots park on the first two floors (as well as the Gate Gourmet crew who literally don't give a **** and think they're "back home" where it's every man for himself, and they all drive old rustbucket peugeots and corsas for cars because the wages for them are borderline below minimum) and if you want a door whacking into the side of your car every day, that's one way to make it happen.

Hahaha lol, what do you drive if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 14
Original post by merlynwoodman
dont call the police lol hit and run is funny anyway, trust me in a few months time this will just be a laugh.

Make up a lie, say you hit a brick wall and scraped it, theyll fix it up. Who gives a **** about the other car, their problem now.

You won't be winning any awards for ethics anytime soon...
Reply 15
dont call the police lol hit and run is funny anyway, trust me in a few months time this will just be a laugh.

Make up a lie, say you hit a brick wall and scraped it, theyll fix it up. Who gives a **** about the other car, their problem now.

I would often follow this line of thought but when it comes to this kind of thing OP needs to learn howbto better deal with damaging the property of others.
Original post by gapyearlads
Hahaha lol, what do you drive if you don't mind me asking?

Fiesta ST-Line Eco 140

Do you actually drive or do you just play GTA?
Reply 18

:facepalm2:

I'm hoping you're a troll. If not I hope to god I'm never unfortunate enough to park anywhere near you!
Definitely lives under a bridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending