The Student Room Group

Uni says my offer was a clerical error - where do I stand?

Hi all,

I'll try to keep this brief but some context is needed. In December I received and firmly accepted a conditional offer from my dream uni. It was a low offer, but the course isn't popular and I'm a mature student on an Access pathway, so I didn't think there was anything unusual about that - the uni states on all its admissions blurb that mature applicants are considered on a case by case basis/individually appraised according to experience/etc. The only condition stipulated in the offer was that I achieve 28 Access credits at Merit (I've achieved Distinctions in every unit so far, if that's relevant at all).

However, I've just received an email from the uni stating that there was a clerical error on their part and that the offer should also have stipulated GCSE Maths at Grade 5, as they normally ask that of all applicants. I don't currently have a Grade 5 and am retaking Maths alongside Access, but the point is that it wasn't stated in my offer conditions. The uni has also stated (generously, it must be said) that as I've already firmly accepted the offer, they can't alter it 'without my permission' and that it's therefore up to me whether they amend it or not. But I really need to know where I stand. Are applicants generally required only to fulfill the explicit conditions of their accepted offer? Can the uni withdraw the offer altogether if I say I don't want them to amend it? Or are they likely to reject me come results day even if I meet my conditions?

TL;DR: Conditional offer firmly accepted, now uni wants to change conditions due to 'clerical error'.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Redacted
Hi all,

I'll try to keep this brief but some context is needed. In December I received and firmly accepted a conditional offer from my dream uni. It was a low offer, but the course isn't popular and I'm a mature student on an Access pathway, so I didn't think there was anything unusual about that - the uni states on all its admissions blurb that mature applicants are considered on a case by case basis/individually appraised according to experience/etc. The only condition stipulated in the offer was that I achieve 28 Access credits at Merit (I've achieved Distinctions in every unit so far, if that's relevant at all).

However, I've just received an email from the uni stating that there was a clerical error on their part and that the offer should also have stipulated GCSE Maths at Grade 5, as they normally ask that of all applicants. I don't currently have a Grade 5 and am retaking Maths alongside Access, but the point is that it wasn't stated in my offer conditions. The uni has also stated (generously, it must be said) that as I've already firmly accepted the offer, they can't alter it 'without my permission' and that it's therefore up to me whether they amend it or not. But I really need to know where I stand. Are applicants generally required only to fulfill the explicit conditions of their accepted offer? Can the uni withdraw the offer altogether if I say I don't want them to amend it? Or are they likely to reject me come results day even if I meet my conditions?

TL;DR: Conditional offer firmly accepted, now uni wants to change conditions due to 'clerical error'.

Since you have accepted it I'd keep it and make sure you manage the Maths bits by whatever means necessary.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Bio 7
Since you have accwpted it I'd keep it and make sure you manage the Maths bits by whatever means necessary.

Thanks for the reply. I've had the same advice from a couple of people IRL, and as the uni has admitted the error was theirs I don't think I'd be wrong to do so, I'm just worried that they may decide to withdraw it altogether (or refuse to take me) if I'm seen to be "difficult". I know in principle they're supposedly not able to do this once an offer has been accepted, but principle and reality are rarely the same thing in practice. :|
what grade are you expected to get for your math resit?
if a 5 is achievable then it doesn't matter either way.
Hmm, that's weird. It doesn't make much sense to let them amend it if they're leaving the choice to you xD
just make sure you get that grade 5 either way and it shouldn't matter.
Reply 5
Original post by RuthieG101
what grade are you expected to get for your math resit?
if a 5 is achievable then it doesn't matter either way.

I’m aiming for a 5, but I’m hopeless with trig (despite years of trying) and I’m only able to take the Foundation papers as my FE college doesn’t teach Higher. So if there’s a lot of trig, it’s probably going to be a 4. :|
Reply 6
Hi all,

Wait for @PQ's reply in due course :smile:

Which university is this?
Reply 7
Original post by XOR_
Hmm, that's weird. It doesn't make much sense to let them amend it if they're leaving the choice to you xD
just make sure you get that grade 5 either way and it shouldn't matter.

It’s definitely a bit strange. I’m wondering if they’ve actually read my application at all, because the Maths grade is on there as ‘pending’ along with everything else! I’m just hoping I can count on the original offer in the event that everything goes belly-up at exam time.
I hate trig too.
I'm doing a level and I'd say over half has some form of trig.

checkout videos on YouTube. and practice trig questions. I don't remember there being much trig in GCSE when I did the higher paper in 2014. only needed soh-cah-toa if I remember correctly.
Reply 9
Original post by Doonesbury
Wait for @PQ's reply in due course :smile:

Which university is this?

Thanks, I’ll keep an eye out. :smile: It’s UCL.
Reply 10
I hate trig too.
I'm doing a level and I'd say over half has some form of trig.

checkout videos on YouTube. and practice trig questions. I don't remember there being much trig in GCSE when I did the higher paper in 2014. only needed soh-cah-toa if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the advice! This will be my third attempt and the spec has completely changed for adult resits this year so it’s all a bit stressful, haha.

Best of luck with your A Level studies, though I’m sure you won’t need it :smile:
Thanks for the advice! This will be my third attempt and the spec has completely changed for adult resits this year so it’s all a bit stressful, haha.

Best of luck with your A Level studies, though I’m sure you won’t need it :smile:

Thanks so much, same to you too.
I'm a mature learner too, but I'm a private candidate.
Reply 12
Thanks so much, same to you too.
I'm a mature learner too, but I'm a private candidate.

Utmost respect to you - I looked into sitting A Levels as a private candidate but unfortunately I wasn't able to access the ones I'd have needed. Here's hoping we both do well. :smile:
Utmost respect to you - I looked into sitting A Levels as a private candidate but unfortunately I wasn't able to access the ones I'd have needed. Here's hoping we both do well. :smile:

Lol, i remember when my uni emailed me asking me if i had maths grade B *last year* i emailed back saying sorry i would really love to go to your uni and they offered me, its not that strict as it sounds. You will be fine. :smile: that GCSE grade 5 is only used when they want to reject people lol.
I would try and talk to someone at the university and refuse the change. At the end of the day they proposed you an offer and when you firmly accepted that offer ,you essentially signed a contract. If this failed to include the grade 5 in that contract they are responsible and technically they have no right to change it. I would also recommend they you keep an eye on the offer as they are able to change it , this often gets changed when the university prepose to Chang a conditional offer to a unconditional or often they offer people lower entry grade if placed as there firm. If they do change it I would contact UCAS and send a formal complaint to the university,this may make it so the issue is quickly resolved.
Hi all,

What course is this for?

I would personally explicitly refuse to agree to a change to the conditions.

However it is important to remember that a maths condition might be standard for a reason. If the course contains a significant level of maths content and you don’t have the required level of background knowledge you might be setting yourself up to fail. Basically if you don’t get the gcse grade then be prepared to pay for some additional private maths tutoring on your degree. Your university wouldn’t be obligated to give you additional maths support if you find the degree maths content difficult.
Reply 16
Original post by Average girl
I would try and talk to someone at the university and refuse the change. At the end of the day they proposed you an offer and when you firmly accepted that offer ,you essentially signed a contract. If this failed to include the grade 5 in that contract they are responsible and technically they have no right to change it. I would also recommend they you keep an eye on the offer as they are able to change it , this often gets changed when the university prepose to Chang a conditional offer to a unconditional or often they offer people lower entry grade if placed as there firm. If they do change it I would contact UCAS and send a formal complaint to the university,this may make it so the issue is quickly resolved.

Thanks, I'll do that. And I'll keep an eye on Track, good advice :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by PQ
What course is this for?

I would personally explicitly refuse to agree to a change to the conditions.

However it is important to remember that a maths condition might be standard for a reason. If the course contains a significant level of maths content and you don’t have the required level of background knowledge you might be setting yourself up to fail. Basically if you don’t get the gcse grade then be prepared to pay for some additional private maths tutoring on your degree. Your university wouldn’t be obligated to give you additional maths support if you find the degree maths content difficult.

Thank you for the reply.

It's a language/humanities degree - I'd rather not say which one as it's so small and niche I'd essentially be identifying myself. But it has no maths content at all, beyond the everyday statistical data encountered in any arts or humanities degree (and frankly there's probably not even very much of that, given the nature of the programme). The Grade 5 is a standard across all courses apparently and doesn't relate to my specific programme.

Obviously I'll try to get the 5 anyway, but I'm loathe to hamstring myself by letting them correct their mistake in case I only manage a 4. I don't want to cause problems as I've worked so hard to get to this point and this absurdly niche degree is my dream, and I'm terrified that if I refuse to accept the change they'll react by withdrawing the offer or refusing to honour it in September. In your opinion is that likely/something universities tend to do?
Thank you for the reply.

It's a language/humanities degree - I'd rather not say which one as it's so small and niche I'd essentially be identifying myself. But it has no maths content at all, beyond the everyday statistical data encountered in any arts or humanities degree (and frankly there's probably not even very much of that, given the nature of the programme). The Grade 5 is a standard across all courses apparently and doesn't relate to my specific programme.

Obviously I'll try to get the 5 anyway, but I'm loathe to hamstring myself by letting them correct their mistake in case I only manage a 4. I don't want to cause problems as I've worked so hard to get to this point and this absurdly niche degree is my dream, and I'm terrified that if I refuse to accept the change they'll react by withdrawing the offer or refusing to honour it in September. In your opinion is that likely/something universities tend to do?

If you have written proof that you explicitly refuse to agree to them amending the offer then they can’t change it.

If you don’t get the grades then I would recommend trying to resit again or taking functional skill maths instead. It’s sometimes a requirement for graduate jobs (which is why it’s a standard requirement for many degrees that don’t need it for the degree itself). But stick to your guns over the offer conditions. If nothing else it should encourage them to not make that mistake again in future!

thank.
It was my only option. I moved to a new county and there was no adult education above functional skills.

it's been a good experience and has prepared me to do maths at the open university this October.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending