The Student Room Group

Cool science and technology innovations from Universities

Hey all,

I thought I'd create a forum to go through some of the coolest science and technology innovations from Universities around England (the world?). If you're looking into academia, or are particularly passionate about certain areas of science, I think it's particularly great to be a Uni where the research coincides with your personal interests--and sometimes it can be hard to discern which Unis are great at which areas of research!

Additionally--it's also British Science Week from today until March 12, and what better way to celebrate than to see what amazing things Universities have contributed to Science! :biggrin:

So from UH--we have a really cool Formula Student team, and an amazing Physics and Maths department that boasts excellent astrophysics researchers. However, we also have a dynamic computer science group which hosts The Bold Hearts--which even some UH students don't know about! It's the UH RoboCup team, founded in 2002, whose ultimate long-term goal is to create a team of humanoid robot soccer players. By the year 2050 apparently they will play against human world champions...what do you think of their chances? Watch them play here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzYHAp7b7sY&feature=youtu.be

and find more details here: (x)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Michelle Bieger
Hey all,

I thought I'd create a forum to go through some of the coolest science and technology innovations from Universities around England (the world?). If you're looking into academia, or are particularly passionate about certain areas of science, I think it's particularly great to be a Uni where the research coincides with your personal interests--and sometimes it can be hard to discern which Unis are great at which areas of research!

Additionally--it's also British Science Week from today until March 12, and what better way to celebrate than to see what amazing things Universities have contributed to Science! :biggrin:

So from UH--we have a really cool Formula Student team, and an amazing Physics and Maths department that boasts excellent astrophysics researchers. However, we also have a dynamic computer science group which hosts The Bold Hearts--which even some UH students don't know about! It's the UH RoboCup team, founded in 2002, whose ultimate long-term goal is to create a team of humanoid robot soccer players. By the year 2050 apparently they will play against human world champions...what do you think of their chances? Watch them play here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzYHAp7b7sY&feature=youtu.be

and find more details here: (x)

I can't see a robot football team playing and beating the best club or national side by 2050. Game is too fast and intricate. And you'd have to have 11 players willing to take to the field against machines that could cause serious injury without an innate sense of what is safe or not. Looks like a cool project/society to be a part of though.
Reply 2
Original post by Goz Unlimited
I can't see a robot football team playing and beating the best club or national side by 2050. Game is too fast and intricate. And you'd have to have 11 players willing to take to the field against machines that could cause serious injury without an innate sense of what is safe or not. Looks like a cool project/society to be a part of though.

Definitely as they are they won't be making much progress!

I think they could compete in terms of intricacy--looking at Boston Dynamics as an example. Speed though--they definitely are a still a little clumsy for speed. I never considered the aspect of how the players would view it...that's definitely a great perspective and I think you're right. Unless we incorporate something similar to the Three Laws of Robotics (if that's even possible), mixing robots in to our daily lives so significantly will be tricky regardless of the sport or setting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending