The Student Room Group

Is it healthier for you to always have the AC on?

Hi my brother always has his AC on in his car and it got me thinking. I know it removes pollutants and such so would it be a better quality of air you’ll breathe in?
I am considering always having my AC on if it is indeed healthier.

Scroll to see replies

If it removes pollutants then of course it will be cleaner air. Although, I'm not sure if I'm convinced it is cleaner since the air does come through the car so surely it picks up things.
Reply 2
Original post by xEmilyxx
If it removes pollutants then of course it will be cleaner air. Although, I'm not sure if I'm convinced it is cleaner since the air does come through the car so surely it picks up things.

Uh.. all cabin air comes through the cabin filter.
Reply 3
Original post by IWMTom
Uh.. all cabin air comes through the cabin filter.

So is it healthier to always have AC on do you know?
Reply 4
Original post by Woksin
So is it healthier to always have AC on do you know?

I don't really see how it would be; all the air is filtered the same way.
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
I don't really see how it would be; all the air is filtered the same way.

Says in my manual that the AC filters pollutants that otherwise wouldn’t be filtered
Reply 6
Original post by Woksin
Says in my manual that the AC filters pollutants that otherwise wouldn’t be filtered

No - all air used in the HVAC system passes through the cabin filter, not just the air conditioning.
Original post by Woksin
Hi my brother always has his AC on in his car and it got me thinking. I know it removes pollutants and such so would it be a better quality of air you’ll breathe in?
I am considering always having my AC on if it is indeed healthier.

You will definitely have a larger electrical bill.
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
No - all air used in the HVAC system passes through the cabin filter, not just the air conditioning.

In all vehicles? From your 2005 Honda to a 2018 Range rover? Are you sure? Feel like luxury brands would’ve developed better air stuff
Reply 9
Original post by Woksin
In all vehicles? From your 2005 Honda to a 2018 Range rover? Are you sure? Feel like luxury brands would’ve developed better air stuff

The basic principle of air filtration is all the same... a filter is put between the inlet and outlet.. what more do you want?
Reply 10
Original post by Asazycat

In a car???
Reply 11
Original post by IWMTom
The basic principle of air filtration is all the same... a filter is put between the inlet and outlet.. what more do you want?

Well I imagine in markers like China and other parts of Asia they’d advertise luxury cars as having complete pollutants removal and clean healthy air? No?
Reply 12
Original post by Woksin
Well I imagine in markers like China and other parts of Asia they’d advertise luxury cars as having complete pollutants removal and clean healthy air? No?

You're not listening, are you?

How do you filter air? With an air filter.
Original post by IWMTom
In a car???

Oh my god did not read that carefully. HAHA, I thought it was in a house.
All depends on the filtration. Most will not have any effect, unless you're driving a Tesla with the bioweapon defence mode.

Original post by Asazycat

fuel* :wink:
Reply 15
Original post by IWMTom
You're not listening, are you?

How do you filter air? With an air filter.

I don’t think you’re taking into account the costs and brands involved. Are you telling me a £6,995 Dacia will have the exact same air filtration as a range rover? I think not. I’m pretty sure I’m right in thinking the Dacia will have very basic filtration of the cheapest materials. The range river on the other hand, full of tech, can close its vents. It will (you can guarantee it) bring in less pollutants into the car than the Dacia. But I’ve already found the solution online, ‘In their research, they concluded that with the AC kept on, the cabin air was around 20 34 per cent cleaner than with the Windows rolled down. The AC in the car has a cold evaporator, which absorbs heat and produces cold air, and the intake fans for the AC also have an air filter, which can reduce the amount of suspended particles in the air.
Infact after researching online I find that in Asian markets they do advertise clean AC cabin cars as I suggested. ‘Television has recently been bombarded with commercials by AC manufacturers selling tin cans that can transform the indoor air of urban India into “breath of life” from Swiss Alps. “Dust-free”, “germ-free”, in fact some even offer “healthy air” in their sales pitch.

Thanks for your mildly aggressive input though.
Reply 16
Original post by Woksin
I don’t think you’re taking into account the costs and brands involved. Are you telling me a £6,995 Dacia will have the exact same air filtration as a range rover? I think not. I’m pretty sure I’m right in thinking the Dacia will have very basic filtration of the cheapest materials. The range river on the other hand, full of tech, can close its vents. It will (you can guarantee it) bring in less pollutants into the car than the Dacia. But I’ve already found the solution online, ‘In their research, they concluded that with the AC kept on, the cabin air was around 20 34 per cent cleaner than with the Windows rolled down. The AC in the car has a cold evaporator, which absorbs heat and produces cold air, and the intake fans for the AC also have an air filter, which can reduce the amount of suspended particles in the air.
Infact after researching online I find that in Asian markets they do advertise clean AC cabin cars as I suggested. ‘Television has recently been bombarded with commercials by AC manufacturers selling tin cans that can transform the indoor air of urban India into “breath of life” from Swiss Alps. “Dust-free”, “germ-free”, in fact some even offer “healthy air” in their sales pitch.

Christ on a bike... cabin air filters are serviceable parts that you should have replaced as part of the manufacturer's recommendations - you can buy a cheap £5 one, or a nice £10 one with activated carbon. I've never seen a cabin air filter cost more than £10, irrespective of the car.

The research you've found is mildly incorrect. Using the HVAC system is inherently cleaner than opening the windows, as the air is filtered, but there is no difference in air filtration between air con and no air con; the air is filtered regardless of whether it is switched on.

A Range Rover with a £5 cabin air filter is going to filter air exactly the same as a Dacia with the same £5 cabin air filter.

Perhaps you should do some actual research into the fundamental concepts of the HVAC system on a car before being condescending just because the responses you've received don't align with your preconceptions of a system you don't understand.

Good luck in your searches.
Original post by Woksin

the **** is a range river?
Original post by Woksin

6k Dacia doesn’t come with AC...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending