The Student Room Group

why is London Met so poorly regarded

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by yag123
yes, but I'm not sure I loved the vibe of the city and my department, what do you think of it? :smile:

This is your decision. So, based on what you've said, Cass is your insurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yag123
The thing is that i quite liked it, the facilities were nice and the department was great, and it was in a nice area of London, the only thing that is making me doubt is its reputation, do you think it'd he worth it or should I insure Portsmouth? :wink:

Ask to speak to a few students on the course. If you are in the UK and passing through then see if you can go out fr a rink with a few or Skype them.

https://www.londonmetsu.org.uk/organisation/7309/

I expect Reading will be reasonably lenient in any event.
Reply 22
Original post by Doonesbury
This is your decision. So, based on what you've said, Cass is your insurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hahahah i guess
Reply 23
Original post by 999tigger
Ask to speak to a few students on the course. If you are in the UK and passing through then see if you can go out fr a rink with a few or Skype them.

https://www.londonmetsu.org.uk/organisation/7309/

I expect Reading will be reasonably lenient in any event.

will do, thanks :smile: :smile:
Part 1 and Part 2 at London Met is suppose to be good, it entirely depends on which unit or tutor you end up in. The only problem is their admin is shockingly bad.

Reading is not the best school for architecture and I don't know any of my architect friends who are working as architects ever coming from Reading University. Reading university itself is a good university but is not know for architecture.

out of the lot I would say.
1. Newcastle University
2. Portsmouth/ London Met depending if you want to go to a campus university, or be in London.
Reply 25
Original post by yeahyeahyeahs
Part 1 and Part 2 at London Met is suppose to be good, it entirely depends on which unit or tutor you end up in. The only problem is their admin is shockingly bad.

Reading is not the best school for architecture and I don't know any of my architect friends who are working as architects ever coming from Reading University. Reading university itself is a good university but is not know for architecture.

out of the lot I would say.
1. Newcastle University
2. Portsmouth/ London Met depending if you want to go to a campus university, or be in London.

thanks!
the architecture course at Reading is quite new have why is not well known, but in the first 2 years of the course is already ranked very high, top 5 in the uk according to qs.
Original post by yag123
thanks!
the architecture course at Reading is quite new have why is not well known, but in the first 2 years of the course is already ranked very high, top 5 in the uk according to qs.

anything new = being the guinea pig in my opinion
I enter a new studio at my old university and it turned out we were the first guinea pigs testing out their new teaching approach by tutors who never had a full set of students before. It was shambles.

I had a look at the teaching list - a lot of people who work in practice or just completed a Phd. I truly believe the better tutors are working full time as a tutors, not part time to supplement their careers because what you find is when you need them, they aren't there because they are working in their other job as an architect. I've had tutors like that, barely there out of design studio time and they only reply to your email if you're lucky. If the class sizes are small, they can probably get away with it. There's nothing better knowing you can knock on a tutors door anytime whilst in university and they happy to chat over your work and give you their time outside their schedules.

I truly wouldn't believe what the league board says as majority of the architect students aren't bothered to fill in the surveys so its not a true representation. You're better off trying to talk to some 2nd years at Reading and see the end of year show to see the quality of the students work to compare.
Reply 27
Original post by yeahyeahyeahs
anything new = being the guinea pig in my opinion
I enter a new studio at my old university and it turned out we were the first guinea pigs testing out their new teaching approach by tutors who never had a full set of students before. It was shambles.

I had a look at the teaching list - a lot of people who work in practice or just completed a Phd. I truly believe the better tutors are working full time as a tutors, not part time to supplement their careers because what you find is when you need them, they aren't there because they are working in their other job as an architect. I've had tutors like that, barely there out of design studio time and they only reply to your email if you're lucky. If the class sizes are small, they can probably get away with it. There's nothing better knowing you can knock on a tutors door anytime whilst in university and they happy to chat over your work and give you their time outside their schedules.

I truly wouldn't believe what the league board says as majority of the architect students aren't bothered to fill in the surveys so its not a true representation. You're better off trying to talk to some 2nd years at Reading and see the end of year show to see the quality of the students work to compare.

are you studying architecture? What university are you in and which one where you in before? :smile:
Original post by yag123
are you studying architecture? What university are you in and which one where you in before? :smile:

sorry, im an old graduate now. I did architecture over 5 years ago at westminster university. worked in practice for two and a half years and most of the graduates and architects that i met or know came from certain schools. Certain practices like to recruit from certain universities, no one really mentions that but when youre working in a office and realise everyone came from Cardiff or bath school of architecture you realise they have their favourite schools.
Reply 29
Studying in London cannot be compared to studying in Portsmouth.........
Hi there, I'm an alumni of London Met and I can't praise it enough. I didn't study Architecture, I studied Journalism - but I can reply to your query about reputation. There is a real sense of community when you're on campus and the lecturers went above and beyond to help me in my courses. They've also just had state of the art technology installed in a brand new building as part of a project to make the University even more collaborative and to give it more of a community feel. The University also offer help and advice for three years after graduating too so that they can help you find a job or prepare you for interviews. I loved my time there. The Cass is also mega cool. The lecturers there are so dedicated to their students and help you to achieve. London Met have very good employment stats too - 95% of graduates are in work or further study within 6 months.
Original post by yag123
Good Morning, I have now received decisions from all of my choices to study Architecture
UCL - Rejected
Newcastle - ABB
Reading - ABB
London Met - ABC
Portsmouth - Unconditional

I have decided to firm Reading since it is the one I like the most as well as being one of the best universities for architecture in the world. This means that I have to insure either Portsmouth or London Met. after visiting both of them, I really like London Met's architecture department (the Cass school of Architecture) and I have informed myself by calling architectural brands and they have all told me that the Cass Arch is a great place to study Architecture. Despite the university that owns them, they constantly appear in top 100 architecture schools in Europe/World.
I am not from London or the UK so I was hoping anyone that knows a bit about the university could tell me about it? :smile:
I wanted to know why the uni in general is so poorly regarded.
would having studied at London Met will have a negative connotation despite it having good school of architecture?
I plan on doing a postfraduate degree as well, does the fact that I studied in London Met will be less attractive at better ranked unis even if I get a good grade?
Will it look bad to some architectural brands?
should I insure Portsmouth instead despite its architecture department not being well known?
Thank you very much for your time.

Universities change reputations over time (and change name/affiliations etc). The CASS name is a strong brand - for art, design and archtiecture (particularly for Architecture) - the actual school is what employers will care about
Reply 32
Original post by shandyandy
Universities change reputations over time (and change name/affiliations etc). The CASS name is a strong brand - for art, design and archtiecture (particularly for Architecture) - the actual school is what employers will care about

thanks! I'm glad that's what I did :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by yag123
thanks! I'm glad that's what I did :smile:

Just curious, so which University did u confirmed for this coming September? :biggrin:
Reply 34
Original post by cyw1994
Just curious, so which University did u confirmed for this coming September? :biggrin:

I still have to sit some exams and I won't know where I'll be going until results day, but I've insured met :smile:
what about you?
Reply 35
Original post by yag123
I still have to sit some exams and I won't know where I'll be going until results day, but I've insured met :smile:
what about you?

Portsmouth :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by cyw1994
Portsmouth :smile:

nice! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending