The Student Room Group

NCS and anxiey 2018

hi i'm going to be doing NCS in 2018 and im vey super nervous i have social anxiety and in certain cases it can get quite bad, it was my friends and family that originally persuaded me to do it and i am but ive read so much stuff saying NCS isnt what it seems and its not that good , anyone who has done NCS or is going to do it in 2018 can you tell me if it is worth it?

Scroll to see replies

NCS may have benefits for what ur going in for, being social anxiety help. But otherwise NCS is really trash and has no benefits.
Original post by NathanRycroft
NCS may have benefits for what ur going in for, being social anxiety help. But otherwise NCS is really trash and has no benefits.

Yikes. Elaborate on that..
It depends what you are doing it for, if you're doing it to have a good impression on ur CV you're in the wrong place. In interviews ive been in and mentioned NCS the employer had no idea what it was and moved on fast. It depends if you're taking a career with bear grills it might look good lol.
Reply 4
I fully agree with the above comment that it's not useful if all you want is something on your CV. I personally did it because i didn't have much to do over summer and I thought it'd be a good way of gaining some confidence and skills. I think it's generally what you make of it. I did it a couple years ago and it was fun tbh I made new friends, tried new things and it was a good experience living away on my own for two weeks!

Dont worry about feeling anxious because you'll have loads of people in a similar situation and just try and look at it as a chance to try and be a completely different person - at least that's what I did to try and get over my fear. Are your friends doing it as well? If so that's great because you'll have someone by your side (encourage them to do it with you if they aren't already maybe?). Good luck and hopefully you'll come out of NCS as an even more confident person !
Reply 5
Is it too late to apply?
It's not very useful for applications/CV etc. However, I did it in the summer of 2016 and loved it! It is a VERY weird experience but definitely worth it. Made new friends (don't speak to hardly ay now 2 years on) but you gain skills from it socially and try lots of new things. Have memories from the Isle of Wight that I will never forget! Sneaking out of the campsite and night and going exploring with my group.... the last 2 weeks are a bit **** as it's just the day time things, but the first two weeks where you stay away are so much fun and worth the experience.
2 possible outcomes

1. You might end up liking it alot.

2. You might not like it that much or aspects of it.

either way you wouldve atleast given it a chance and therefore would atleast not regret not doing it.
Original post by iras
I fully agree with the above comment that it's not useful if all you want is something on your CV. I personally did it because i didn't have much to do over summer and I thought it'd be a good way of gaining some confidence and skills. I think it's generally what you make of it. I did it a couple years ago and it was fun tbh I made new friends, tried new things and it was a good experience living away on my own for two weeks!

Dont worry about feeling anxious because you'll have loads of people in a similar situation and just try and look at it as a chance to try and be a completely different person - at least that's what I did to try and get over my fear. Are your friends doing it as well? If so that's great because you'll have someone by your side (encourage them to do it with you if they aren't already maybe?). Good luck and hopefully you'll come out of NCS as an even more confident person !

Do you think NCS helped you achieve this goal? And do you think it was good?
I’m doing it in July, pm me if you want :smile:
I did it and tallked about teamwork involved in it during my med interview:smile: It improved my confidence too
Original post by bluemuffin
I’m doing it in July, pm me if you want :smile:

What day and where
Original post by Arialily
What day and where

1st July based in Woking wbu?
Original post by SailorSaturnn
hi i'm going to be doing NCS in 2018 and im vey super nervous i have social anxiety and in certain cases it can get quite bad, it was my friends and family that originally persuaded me to do it and i am but ive read so much stuff saying NCS isnt what it seems and its not that good , anyone who has done NCS or is going to do it in 2018 can you tell me if it is worth it?

I did NCS last year and honestly it made my anxiety worse, I didn't get along that great with anyone in my group and you basically spent your wholesome with the same group.

However why not give it a try and if after the first wee you don't like it then just drop out (it's not very expensive anyway). This is what I wished I did but instead I stayed and tormented myself.
It's easy for cynical teenagers who only care about their Instagram likes to say 'Nah, it's trash, watch the World Cup instead' but I think it's going to be a worthwile experience. For some it will be a time to try new things, others to meet people. Don't be nervous over it, everyone is, I sure am.
Original post by Pantera Fan Club
It's easy for cynical teenagers who only care about their Instagram likes to say 'Nah, it's trash, watch the World Cup instead' but I think it's going to be a worthwile experience. For some it will be a time to try new things, others to meet people. Don't be nervous over it, everyone is, I sure am.

Not everyone will like it. It’s kinda biased just to call people who don’t like it ‘cynical’
If you have social anxiety, the best thing you can do is throw yourself at social situations that cause a lot of anxiety. When you avoid these social situations, you're reinforcing avoidance behaviour and are only making your social anxiety stronger.
Original post by ProRoadman
Not everyone will like it. It’s kinda biased just to call people who don’t like it ‘cynical’

Well of course, but I'm sure you understand that many teenagers are cynical, apathetic, just don't care, don't want to do any more than sleep or watch TV, don't care about politics, physical challenges, volunteering, money. NCS, which is the polar opposite to many teenage mentalities, of course won't run well with the people who's rather stay in bed.
i did it last year and i personally didnt think it lived up to the hype we all thought it was meant to be... the first activity week was fun the second uni week was good but the talks were boring and useless and the last two weeks dragged but being with your friends and meeting new people was what made it enjoyable and made it the experience i had.
Original post by Pantera Fan Club
Well of course, but I'm sure you understand that many teenagers are cynical, apathetic, just don't care, don't want to do any more than sleep or watch TV, don't care about politics, physical challenges, volunteering, money. NCS, which is the polar opposite to many teenage mentalities, of course won't run well with the people who's rather stay in bed.

That’s just a stereotype. I’m a teenager and I can assure you this is not the case. I know people who are more into politics than your average person. Know people who volunteer every time they are free, who are obsessed with helping others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending