The Student Room Group

Predicted BBB and want to apply for medicine

Today i got my A-Level Predictions and I unfortunately got BBB, meaning that I cannot apply to medicine as the minimum is AAA. So I decided to take a gap year after recieving at least AAA in the real A-Level exams (hopefully).

I just have a few questions. How would I apply again during my gap year when I get the grades needed? Can someone just explain to me please? Thank you.
Original post by Ukvoltaire
Today i got my A-Level Predictions and I unfortunately got BBB, meaning that I cannot apply to medicine as the minimum is AAA. So I decided to take a gap year after recieving at least AAA in the real A-Level exams (hopefully).

I just have a few questions. How would I apply again during my gap year when I get the grades needed? Can someone just explain to me please? Thank you.

Same way, just apply through UCAS.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Same way, just apply through UCAS.

Ok. Also will I have to get my references from my teachers again or is that not needed when applying in a gap year?

No different to how you would this year
Reply 4
Original post by Kyber Ninja
No different to how you would this year

Ok. Do i need teacher references whilst applying on a gap year?
Ok. Also will I have to get my references from my teachers again or is that not needed when applying in a gap year?

Keep in contact with your referee and inform them what you are doing.
You can then provide an update during the gap when it comes to writing the new one. Some referees will only carry on like this for a while so make sure you have got them onboard.
I’d still apply this year. Even if you don’t get interviews you could go through clearing if you got results. if you didn’t get the results to study medicine and had to resit A levels there are only a very few unis that you’d be able to apply to if you resit. Predictions are 85% of the time wrong anyway. Don’t go by a teachers predictions. Work solid and focus!! believe in yourself.. intelligence is simply a measure of commitment.
You can apply for medicine this year with the requirements BBB. But that means taking an extra year which is I guess is a foundation year. B
Reply 8
Original post by Zane Begum
I’d still apply this year. Even if you don’t get interviews you could go through clearing if you got results. if you didn’t get the results to study medicine and had to resit A levels there are only a very few unis that you’d be able to apply to if you resit. Predictions are 85% of the time wrong anyway. Don’t go by a teachers predictions. Work solid and focus!! believe in yourself.. intelligence is simply a measure of commitment.

Thank you! This year became very stressful for me and I wasn't really concentrating properly. I will make sure work harder in Year 13.

I think I will apply this year as well just for the sake of it, but I know I won't get any offers or interviews. And isn't clearing what you do when you get grades lower than your predicted grades or something??
Reply 9
Original post by geniequeen48
You can apply for medicine this year with the requirements BBB. But that means taking an extra year which is I guess is a foundation year. B

Yeah I researched that and I don't really meet the criteria. My three subjects are 'science' subjects and I go to a really good grammar school.
So are you still going to sit the UKCAT?
Original post by L0renna
So are you still going to sit the UKCAT?

Yes because I already booked a day for it, but I have to do the UKCAT again next year as well. My first one will be good practice so I still want to do good in it.
Reply 12
If u get AAA at the end of the year, you'll be able to get in through clearing the same year, there will definitely be uni's willing to take u
Original post by MJ4545
If u get AAA at the end of the year, you'll be able to get in through clearing the same year, there will definitely be uni's willing to take u

Oh wow! That sounds great. So will it be the same if I get a A*AA or higher.
Many places require no re-sits.
Reply 15
Oh wow! That sounds great. So will it be the same if I get a A*AA or higher.

The better the grades the more uni's that will want you. It's hard to get all A's btw 😂

Regardless of what grades u get, go through clearing
Yes because I already booked a day for it, but I have to do the UKCAT again next year as well. My first one will be good practice so I still want to do good in it.

Good luck :smile: I have mine booked on the 30th of August :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest