The Student Room Group

feeling depressed.

So, i love singing and acting and believe i have a general talent for it. Ive been in school and sixth form productions as main roles and everyone always tells me how talented i am. As much as i love singing, i don't know whether to do it at uni. A few months back i went to audition at trinity laban and guildford for the musical theatre courses. I loved guildford, however i didn't get a good vibe from trinity. everyone was stuck up their own arses and weren't very nice. i didn't get into any of them, which lowered my confidence. i should of applied to more places. this is going to sound terrible, but i feel like i can't really be bothered. but i rlly rlly want to do acting and singing, but i think not getting into those 2 places has massively lowered my confidence and has made me feel *****y about applying to more places. there are so many amazing actors and singers and dancers, and i feel like I'm kidding myself which is the wrong attitude to have, so many of these talented people have incredible motivation and i just don't, but i can't imagine not singing or acting, i can't imagine doing anything else. right now I'm very depressed, i feel like I'm not good at anything else, because I'm not and I'm not passionate about anything else. i keep crying and going out drinking and smoking just to help myself to not be so depressed, but i am and its just hurting. some of my friends have got into uni and are going in september which is going to make me feel even worse, as i want to go to university so badly! i really do! so I'm going to take a gap year, i may go away for 2 months to the philipines to do some volunteer work. but I'm just completely lost on what to do for myself in this year, do i audition for more places? i also really want to be a singer on a cruise ship, i think travelling and doing what i love every night would be amazing. but then again i still feel lost and AGAIN NOT MOTIVATED because I'm just really depressed. I know i am good and have an awesome talent, but I'm sick of feeling depressed about my talents. ANY advice would be amazing!
Original post by lucinda2000
So, i love singing and acting and believe i have a general talent for it. Ive been in school and sixth form productions as main roles and everyone always tells me how talented i am. As much as i love singing, i don't know whether to do it at uni. A few months back i went to audition at trinity laban and guildford for the musical theatre courses. I loved guildford, however i didn't get a good vibe from trinity. everyone was stuck up their own arses and weren't very nice. i didn't get into any of them, which lowered my confidence. i should of applied to more places. this is going to sound terrible, but i feel like i can't really be bothered. but i rlly rlly want to do acting and singing, but i think not getting into those 2 places has massively lowered my confidence and has made me feel *****y about applying to more places. there are so many amazing actors and singers and dancers, and i feel like I'm kidding myself which is the wrong attitude to have, so many of these talented people have incredible motivation and i just don't, but i can't imagine not singing or acting, i can't imagine doing anything else. right now I'm very depressed, i feel like I'm not good at anything else, because I'm not and I'm not passionate about anything else. i keep crying and going out drinking and smoking just to help myself to not be so depressed, but i am and its just hurting. some of my friends have got into uni and are going in september which is going to make me feel even worse, as i want to go to university so badly! i really do! so I'm going to take a gap year, i may go away for 2 months to the philipines to do some volunteer work. but I'm just completely lost on what to do for myself in this year, do i audition for more places? i also really want to be a singer on a cruise ship, i think travelling and doing what i love every night would be amazing. but then again i still feel lost and AGAIN NOT MOTIVATED because I'm just really depressed. I know i am good and have an awesome talent, but I'm sick of feeling depressed about my talents. ANY advice would be amazing!

Hey, if this is your passion you should definitely apply to more places. Just because others are talented doesn't mean to say you're not! Keeping because if you can't imagine not doing it then it's a sure sign it's something you should do! Just because two places didn't accept you doesn't mean to say others places won't. Drinking and smoking isn't the answer- singing and acting is. You should go for it because it's what you want to do at uni and its what you're passionate about you should. If people tell you that you're talented it's a massive sign you are good and that you will be talented enough- because you are. Motivated people have self belief and you just need a boost.
PM me if you want to talk because I'm there if you need me x :smile:
Best wishes and good luck,
Purple monkeys xoxo
I know exactly what you’re saying. I am so depressed and in a similar situation. I don’t know what to do with my future, which makes me unmotivated which in turn makes me question whether I have got what it takes to have a good career. I don’t know what I’m doing while all my friends are going to uni next year and I can’t imagine a year out of school and don’t know what I would do for a whole year. Good luck x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending