The Student Room Group

My loan doesn't cover my rent!

I've recently gotten accepted into Ulster University, but I've discovered my maintenance loan and grant doesn't cover my rent staying close to the uni due to mobility issues. My rent with all utilities is £99 a week with student roost.

I can't work due to an ongoing chronic illness since I was 11 so I'm wondering if there is any suggestions on what I can do to help me with my rent for my apartment. That's Ka for any suggestions.

Scroll to see replies

Was your grant means tested? Because that rent is peanuts, I pay more than than and have around £1000 spare each term.
Reply 2
Original post by random_matt
Was your grant means tested? Because that rent is peanuts, I pay more than than and have around £1000 spare each term.

I think so it was based on my dad's income.
If you're classed as disabled I think you can benefits to help pay.
I believe the standard length student accommodation contract is roughly 47 weeks long.

£99 per week x 47 = £4653.

For your student finance to not cover your rent, your household income is above £55,000!
2018-09-02.png
If so, then you could potentially ask your parents?
If you haven't applied for the 'means-tested' maintenance loan, DO IT :biggrin:
Reply 5
Agree with the above, that rent is cheap and you're unlikely to find anything for less. Is the reason that you're short because you're forking out for other needs relating to your disability e.g. laptop, or wheelchair etc? if so you can apply for DSA which will cover some of your costs, leaving you more for rent
Reply 6
So to add on from this my fees for university are £4160 a year making my grant and loan combined is £4910.

My rent being £4653 that gives me a whopping £257 to live off for the year effectively. I am going to get in contact with Student Finance about my grant and see if I can get a special needs one instead. As £257 to live off of for 44 weeks which is £5.84 per week.
Because your maintenance loan is based on your parents income the implication is that they will give you a certain amount of money. This system is terrible and does not take into account the number of children a family has, whether they rent or own their house and other necessary payments / its literally so stupid
Reply 8
Original post by marupe
Agree with the above, that rent is cheap and you're unlikely to find anything for less. Is the reason that you're short because you're forking out for other needs relating to your disability e.g. laptop, or wheelchair etc? if so you can apply for DSA which will cover some of your costs, leaving you more for rent

I have applied for DSA as well as my loan, see above for my loan amount etc.
Reply 9
Original post by photoboy123
So to add on from this my fees for university are £4160 a year making my grant and loan combined is £4910.

My rent being £4653 that gives me a whopping £257 to live off for the year effectively. I am going to get in contact with Student Finance about my grant and see if I can get a special needs one instead. As £257 to live off of for 44 weeks which is £5.84 per week.

Are you from N Ireland?

The Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan are separate loans. The Grant is on top.

https://www.studentfinanceni.co.uk/types-of-finance/undergraduate/full-time/northern-ireland-student/

Your tuition fee doesn't come out of your maintenance loan or grant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)

I'm very confused.. Are you welsh and studying in Wales? Why do you get a maintenance grant?

This seems very off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
I'm very confused.. Are you welsh and studying in Wales? Why do you get a maintenance grant?

This seems very off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Northern Irish. It says in my original post that I will be studying in Ulster University.
Northern Irish. It says in my original post that I will be studying in Ulster University.

I see.

Yeah, think there's a bit of confusion here. You get a tuition loan. On top of that you get a maintenance loan and if you're eligible a maintenance grant. Your fees don't come out of the maintenance stuff.
Original post by Princepieman
I see.

Yeah, think there's a bit of confusion here. You get a tuition loan. On top of that you get a maintenance loan and if you're eligible a maintenance grant. Your fees don't come out of the maintenance stuff.

Yeah I know about this, I was just wondering if there is any other ways of funding as my maintenance loan just about covers my rent but leaves me with £5.84 a week to live off of.
Maintenance loans work off of your parents income and so if their income is high, your maintenance loan will be lower because they are supposed to supplement the rest - is there any way your parents can give you money to help? It seems so flawed, I know very few people who’s rent is covered by their loan and have to rely on parents to cover the rest or get a job and save.
Reply 15
Yeah I know about this, I was just wondering if there is any other ways of funding as my maintenance loan just about covers my rent but leaves me with £5.84 a week to live off of.

How much is your maintenance loan?
How much is your grant?
How many weeks is your rent contract for?
What is your household income?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
How much is your maintenance loan?
How much is your grant?
How many weeks is your rent contract for?
What is your household income?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My maintenance loan and grant combined is
£4910. My grant total for the year is £1414

My rent contract is 44 weeks long at £99 per week.

My dad's income was high last year because he was doing 24 hour shifts. I think it was around £26k. His average income per year working in the health service starts at 19,600.
Reply 17
My maintenance loan and grant combined is
£4910. My grant total for the year is £1414

My rent contract is 44 weeks long at £99 per week.

My dad's income was high last year because he was doing 24 hour shifts. I think it was around £26k. His average income per year working in the health service starts at 19,600.

£26k isn't high, but unfortunately SFNI doesn't seem to provide a simple entitlement calculator like SFE England :frown:

The max maintenance loan is £4840 and grant is £3475 (no grant if income is more than £41,450).

It sounds like your calculation is wrong... have you double-checked it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
£26k isn't high, but unfortunately SFNI doesn't seem to provide a simple entitlement calculator like SFE England :frown:

The max maintenance loan is £4840 and grant is £3475 (no grant if income is more than £41,450).

It sounds like your calculation is wrong... have you double-checked it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have, I've went over all my documents to try and work it out and that's where my issue comes from, I can't afford to support myself in university and travelling up and down is pretty much not an option due to health :frown:
Do you receive PIP?

Latest

Trending

Trending